What new hardware would you like to see in android devices?
03-27-2013 10:04 PM
- I'm going to be somewhat realistic (you don't have to be).
mSATA SSD's - I/O is quickly becoming the bottleneck in android devices. It happened with computers, and it's going to happen with phones and tablets too. microSD cards are only so fast, and with phones taking 1080p video and having burst modes capable of multiple shots per second, storage speed is becoming a limiting factor. Enter mSATA. It's a pretty small SSD, when you break it down to basics. It uses the same connector as a mini PCIe card, and is just about as small. We would need a SATA controller to be integrated, but I can see this being done in the future. Capacities are good, too, ranging from 32gb to 256gb. Yeah, 500mbps might be overkill for a mobile platform, but if it can be then why not?04-17-2012 10:06 PM
I'd also really love to see a power efficient LTE radio. Standalone DSP(creative labs or altec lansing) and GPU(nvidia)
This is a wishlist right..?? ;-)04-18-2012 12:05 PM
- Personally , I've few thing in mind :
- More storage space, 64GB or more , if Apple can do it why not Motorola or HTC or Samsung?
- More "different" built materials , like the RAZR's Kevlar back
I told my brother "Don't let me Touch anther Motorola RAZR or I'll end up buying one"
I thought allot about getting a RAZR just because of the Kevlar back , even though the RAZR isn't that leap forward from my Atrix, I'm just a sucka for that Kevlar back
- Better Camera Optics & sensors, Sony & HTC are already doing this
- maybe more OEMs to use NFC
Sony is on the right track with their SmartTags & I can't wait to see what Motorola will do when they start using NFC & the stuff they will come up with
- maybe more color variants instead of black or white, something like Nokia Lumia line
Thats what I can think of for now04-18-2012 12:51 PM
- I've got one more. With video chat being as popular and up-and-coming as it is. How about a decent front facing camera with low light sensor? I mean in anything other than spotlights or broad daylight, the standard front facing camera is garbage.04-19-2012 09:39 AM
That way we can have our larger displays without having a massive phone.
Other things: batteries need to start improving. Battery tech has without a doubt been the slowest thing to improve in the tech world, and it does not have good prospects when devices are receiving specs that are ever more power hungry but don't have the battery to match. It's actually the area I'm hoping to get into out of college because of my interest in it.04-19-2012 02:53 PM
- Mine is simple: much better battery tech! Something that charges fairly quickly and lasts at least 24 hours with moderate to heavy use. But, it MUST also be removable! At least until the failure rate can be brought down to near zero. Don't get me wrong, this is NOT based on any type of battery life on my Thunderbolt (which is actually quite good considering), but a wider issue across all smartphones!
Oh, and more native kickstands would be nice (I don't like case ones, prefer naked). I use my kickstand all the time and can't imagine having a phone without it!04-19-2012 02:56 PM
Amoled phones are great but its still hard too read text with direct sunlight.04-19-2012 05:15 PM
- Yes I forgot to add , a KickStand !!!!
Manufactures should build more phone like the HTC Surround , with a slide-out speaker & a Kickstand ... If Motorola built one , It will be the ultimate entertainment handheld gadget , Lets face it Nobody makes speakers like Motorola04-19-2012 07:32 PM
- I would love to see phones with a few things that have already been mentioned and a few more....
Much FASTER internal memory with high capacities. >64GB
A precache for the storage separated from the main system RAM.
More RAM! Seeing that most of 1GB on most phones already get used up after a few minutes (Including disk I/O). More RAM the better, not like it consumes that much battery....
NFC and wireless charging is a must for me...
Faster FSB for the ARM CPU,(Especially to the GPU). It won't be long untill this is a big bottleneck.....
Removable high capacity batteries.
If one comes out with those features, I don't care how much it costs I'm buying it!04-20-2012 06:37 AM
- I'm going to throw this in for people like me that are still stuck on radio... A digital/HD radio tuner or at least add in card for HD radio/XM/Sirius. And the coupe de grace, a universal dock/accessory port (micro USB) located in the same spot for every phone/tablet. I know that's more cosmetic but it'd still be nice.04-20-2012 08:02 AM
- The problem with most FM tuners is that they use the headphones as the antenna. That's just not good for reception. And seeing that FM reception is dependent on antenna length I don't see them putting one in a phone. And headphones aren't typically long enough for good reception.04-20-2012 04:27 PM
- As far as hardware in phones getting better, they're already evolving at a decent rate. And will continue to only get better. I think a major turning point is Intel's involvement, I'm looking forward to seeing what they come up with. One thing I would really like to see though, is a much larger and broader market of accessories. For android phones and tablets, the accessories available for Iphones and Ipads is ridiculous. I mean they are every where! Even the gas station near my house has IPhone data cables and silicone cases.
Sent from a HTC Evo 4G06-04-2012 10:23 PM
- I'm sure no one is going to agree with me, but with the ability to make bezels thinner than ever before, I was to see another dual screen phone like the Kyocera Echo. A flexible screen would make it even better. I love the idea of have a small form factor that can unfold into a big screen when you need it. But it would have to be done by a big manufacter (looking at you Samsung) who can build a quality UI and app optimization engine for it, and who can market it enough for them to actually sell. Once enough have sold, devs will get behind it.
Ok, everyone can flame me now. It's ok, I'm a big boy; I can take it.06-12-2012 09:20 AM
- Android Central Community
- General News & Discussion
What new hardware would you like to see in android devices?
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD