When will big be too big?

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
I feel like not enough people are talking about how "high end" in Android is becoming synonymous with giant. All the top tier phones are now falling between 4.5 and 4.8 (!!!) inch screens. Am I only one who thinks that is at least kinda crazy?

I love having high end devices. I'm at least in the vicinity of being a power user and I enjoy the best tech. But if this is the way this arms race is going, it's gonna be a problem.

I am currently using and still loving my att sgs2. The 4.3 inch screen is a solid size, especially having hacked ics onto it (it makes far corner icons easier to reach with the thumb). I feel like this size is solid and much bigger would be and is cumbersome. Not too carry but to use.

I know people will say that most people use their phones with 2 hands, blah blah blah. Sure I usually type two handed and play games two handed. But how many people scroll two handed? Or browse the app drawer two handed? Not many I'd assume.

But with these new phone like the sgs3 and the one x, both awesome phones that should feel good in the hand (the one x definitely does) bht that could be hard to use if, say, an icon is on the far side of the screen. I'm not sure it's a good direction to head in where average users might not be able to change songs or check Facebook while also carrying something in their other hand (seems like a common use scenario). That's actually a problem I've had with my current phone which is quite svelt and at least 0.5 inches smaller the next round of elite devices.

Also, Let me say that I am not a little guy with little hands. I'm over 6 feet tall and have decently sized hands. If this is an annoyance for me, why are we not hearing from more average users?

I know that oems are making phones that they think have the best chance of selling, and given the success they've enjoyed who's to say they're wrong. I'm just baffled this isn't more talked about. Why there isn't more than an idle mention that "huh this new phone can't be used with one hand..."

dancing-bass

Jan 3, 2011
Visit site
I am using a Gnex. I think it's about the limit for one handed use. I find on this device, it's not the width but the thickness (rather, the lack of it) that makes it awkward for me. I find its easier to use one handed when it's in its case (Otterbox commuter). I tried the note, it felt just wrong in my hands. Too big for one handed and two Handed felt cramped....

I think 4.3 to 4.7 is about right. If you want bigger, get a 7 or 10 inch tablet. (IMHO)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Last edited:

epidenimus

Racer of Elevators
Apr 13, 2011
Visit site
The market will likely determine this soon enough. I expect to see more murses if it doesn't.

I kinda want a SGSE4GT for the oooh effect, but I find an Evo Design much more practical where form factors are concerned.

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
There are a lot of people that would love to see a high-end flagship phone in a 4" form factor. With all the awesomeness we expect....awesome camera, 720p display, long battery life, etc.

justlaxin13

Jul 28, 2010
Visit site
Exactly, I started my Android ownership with a 4" phone. I enjoy the added viewing functionality of this 4.3" phone. I was holding the one x the other day and it felt really good in the hand. But, there were several common uses I came across that required shifting it awkwardly in my hand from the way you normally hold a phone in order to reach something... Not good and really not fixable at that size I don't think.

blacksapphire08

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Well screen size is going up but the overall dimensions are either the same or getting smaller. Of course if they keep going up in screen size then that wont be true. I think in the future phones will probably feature a type of projection hologram screen like the one in Dead Space.

JtothaR

Jan 9, 2010
Visit site
Also, Let me say that I am not a little guy with little hands. I'm over 6 feet tall and have decently sized hands. If this is an annoyance for me, why are we not hearing from more average users?

I know that oems are making phones that they think have the best chance of selling, and given the success they've enjoyed who's to say they're wrong. I'm just baffled this isn't more talked about. Why there isn't more than an idle mention that "huh this new phone can't be used with one hand..."

I too am a 6'2" guy with decent size hands. I have no problem using my GNote single handedly for any task, app drawer, notifications tray, texting, surfing, whatever. I use swiftkey and not a modded keyboard that's pushed to one side of the device.

That's not to say that I disagree with you, FWIW. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I firmly believe manufacturers should focus on releasing six phones a year. (Two releases, one every six months, each with three different form factors on offer.) (3.8" 4.5" and 5.3") and then they should spend the rest of the year working their @$$3$ off to make sure that they release updates 2 months after Google does.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
This is what's so great about Android.

Look at a phone like the upcoming DROID Incredible 4G LTE. It's got a 4 inch screen to go with great specs. I consider it a high-end Android phone. I'd bet more people would call it high-end if the screen was 4.3 inches or larger but there's more than just screen size when claiming high-end.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Android Central Forums

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
The only phones I have a lot of experience with are my Evo 3D and my wife's Nexus S 4G.

The 4" screen on the Nexus S is WAY too small for me. I can't stand to do much of anything on my wife's phone because the small screen drives me crazy. And the SwiftKey X keyboard takes up almost the whole screen.

I like the 4.3" screen on the Evo 3D, but I could easily go bigger. I don't have big hands (I never could palm a baskball), but I'm very tempted by the Galaxy Note. I love the idea of that screen size, but I haven't had the opportunity to actally hold and use one. Personally I think ~5" might be my personal sweet spot, but until I use something that size I don't know.

Judging by the (unexpected?) popularity of the GNote, I think a lot of phones are going to keep moving to ~5" size.

_Zguy__

Oct 26, 2010
Visit site
For the moment the top end phones haveto be 4.7, 4.8 inches because a top of the line device has to have a 720p display and that is the smallest they can make them. I think soon the average size will be 4.3—4.8 for most high end phones with some mid end at 3.7 and 4 and a few at 5.3. I personally like the 4.5 of my skyrocket but wouldnt mind goin a bit bigger. I feel like apple will decide though. If the iphone 5 is just 4 inch they will go back to a bit smaller

S-Doo-1965

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
How much memory is to much? soon all phones will be like cloud drives.

Sent from my SAMSUNG Hugeass Phone (Galaxy Note) using Android Central Forums

UCLA 15

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Where we are at right now is probably the limit I could do in terms of size. My Sensation is the perfect form factor for me, and this may be odd, but I think the main reason is because it isn't ultra slim. I like the relatively small length and width combined with the slightly above average slimness. The One X and GS3 are the opposite-long and wide combined with ultra slimness. I haven't held either in my hand yet, but I imagine I would prefer my Sensation to either, and it mainly comes down to how a phone that big would feel in my pocket. What I want to see are 4.5"-4.8" screens paired with very slim bezels so that the overall size of the phone isn't that much bigger than something like my Sensation.

jean15paul

Trusted Member
Jun 17, 2011
Visit site
I held a Note for the first time this weekend. It was a demo unit in a brick and mortor store. I will say that it felt BIG, but it wasn't so big that it prevented me from reaching anywhere on the screen with one hand. (I have average sized hands for a guy.) I couple of things felt akward (like reaching the top left corner of the screen with one hand (the right one), but I could do it. I think it would just take some getting used to for me. And in my opinion the extra screen size is worth it.

Now I will add that this demo unit didn't have a case on it. Adding the thickness of a case might change my assessment.

Reactions: Ntchwaidumela

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch