More Media Hatin'

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
So long Android, the iPad has just passed you in browser share | Macgasm

So just read this article. Thought it was kind of interesting at first, but realized after a minute that it was totally flawed. I left the comment posted below (it's still awaiting moderation and I doubt it'll get approved, but I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the article or the data.

Please, no media bashing. I know it's very biased, but we get nowhere bashing Mac people here lol.

The comment/argument I submitted.
The iPad is a tablet, the Android platform is currently only used on cell phones. While they both have similar browsing capabilities (read: iPad is giant phone), they are COMPLETELY different devices, and therefore not even comparable.

To bring this down to a level you can understand, this would be like comparing network usages of Macbooks vs iPhones. While people use alot of internet on their iPhones, it?s usually only on the go. Macbooks, on the other hand, are used at home, with much more internet usage during the time they?re used (for math people, MBs used/time is greater for laptops than phones.

The iPad has been used by many people as a laptop replacement, so it?s technically a netbook for most, and should be competing with laptops, not cell phones. This is why greater network usage of iPad users cannot be compared to that of Android phones.

Ask a dozen people if an iPad has replaced their cellphone for on-the-go computing. I bet it hasn?t. Many people still use laptops on the go (just look at MTA riders in NYC), so any arguement that iPads have replaced only on-the-go cellphone use is also invalid.

The arguement you?re making is contrived and merely a way to shut down the Android community. Look at the facts here and you?ll know why my points are logically valid. i respect this being an Apple-focused blog, I really do. Please, don?t lose that respect by making illogical assumptions.

Kyle Gibb

May 17, 2010
Visit site

So just read this article. Thought it was kind of interesting at first, but realized after a minute that it was totally flawed. I left the comment posted below (it's still awaiting moderation and I doubt it'll get approved, but I was wondering if anyone had an opinion on the article or the data.

Please, no media bashing. I know it's very biased, but we get nowhere bashing Mac people here lol.

I love Macs.... doesn't mean I extend that affection to the iPad or iPhone. The former I see as a colossal waste of $500 for the vast majority of people, the latter I see as being a closed device lacking many features I demand in phones shackled to the worst carrier in the US.

And your point on the iPad is very accurate, it is more of a small computer than a large phone. The vast majority are Wifi only, while I would bet the vast majority of data use on cell phones in general is over 3G. At home you are more likely to watch streaming videos than on the go, which is a huge data hog.

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site

Here's the problem with the comment you left; even though the iPad does allow for more use at home, that doesn't mean that the numbers are invalid. What's surprising about them is that, despite record activation numbers for Android, the platform is still behind the iPad. (which hasn't exactly set the sales world on fire mind you) Android usage SHOULD be higher since there are far more users and data plans on subsidized android phones are mandatory. Even though it isn't an apples to apples comparison, those are numbers that anyone that cares about the Android platform should take note of.

ceriem

Jun 23, 2010
Visit site
Here's the problem with the comment you left; even though the iPad does allow for more use at home, that doesn't mean that the numbers are invalid. What's surprising about them is that, despite record activation numbers for Android, the platform is still behind the iPad. (which hasn't exactly set the sales world on fire mind you) Android usage SHOULD be higher since there are far more users and data plans on subsidized android phones are mandatory. Even though it isn't an apples to apples comparison, those are numbers that anyone that cares about the Android platform should take note of.

This point is true. I probably could have also noted that an unknown percentage of Android phones aren't high powered devices which allow for alot of data usage (the medium-powered Android phones, so to speak). These phones add a significant portion to the Android army, but do very little for data usage overall.

In the end, does it really matter? More data doesn't really mean much if you end up having more devices on the market, right?

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
LOL, most people use the iPad for browsing. These numbers don't mean anything really and is an apples to oranges comparison anyway. It's just a little fodder for the ifanboys to try to discredit the growing behemoth that is Android. Who's dropping their Android phone for an iPad....no one!

Droid800

Banned
Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
LOL, most people use the iPad for browsing. These numbers don't mean anything really and is an apples to oranges comparison anyway. It's just a little fodder for the ifanboys to try to discredit the growing behemoth that is Android. Who's dropping their Android phone for an iPad....no one!

That still doesn't explain how Android, a platform with more than twice as many users (and that's lowballing by a SIGNIFICANT margin) is getting beaten in browser share by the ipad.

darreno1

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
That still doesn't explain how Android, a platform with more than twice as many users (and that's lowballing by a SIGNIFICANT margin) is getting beaten in browser share by the ipad.

And I ask, who cares? Can an iPad make a call? NO. Is it as portable? NO. So what does it matter? As long as it's not taking market share away from Android, this isn't a story, IMO. People buy iPads for mainly web browsing and email. People buy smartphones for a host of reasons, web browsing just being one of them. In any case did you notice Android's trend? It's up and up. That's all that should really matter to anyone looking at that graph. And as the phones with bigger screens become more mainstream, that graph will begin to look different anyway.

terpitude71

Retired Moderator
Dec 9, 2009
Visit site
one thing that the article doesnt mention: are they just taking the stock android browser into account when measuring this data? if not, then thats where the data is flawed. correct me if i am wrong, but as far as i know, safari is the only browser choice on ipad. on android phones though, there are many browser choices besides stock. i personally use dolphin hd, but i have also used regular dolphin, skyfire, a fennec build, and more in the past.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drkrleitch