Google as a Cell Carrier.

DrewDT

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Why not? Google purchased Motorola and has their hands in so many things. It seems like the biggest problem Google has in presenting a pure Android experience are all the compromises they have to make with carriers regarding software, updates, etc. If Google invested in becoming their own carrier, I for one would consider them.

anthonycr

Themer. You've seen them
Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Awesome idea, but if you think about it they'd have to be a world wide carrier because beside being an American company what would make them pick a specific country to provide for? They cant provide for the whole world because that would probably cost trillions of dollars...

My pure speculation.

DrewDT

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the perspective. I don't think Google would need to start off or even endeavor to be a world wide carrier. They can start off in the U. S. much like other major carriers have done and expand as is viable for them. They would just need to ensure the radios on their devices are compatible with other carriers in other parts of the world.
I think it would be worth considering on their part. I'm not saying they should abandon other carriers entirely (at least not initially), just bring more things in house so that consumers can have a true Android experience the way Google intends it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Why not? Google purchased Motorola and has their hands in so many things. It seems like the biggest problem Google has in presenting a pure Android experience are all the compromises they have to make with carriers regarding software, updates, etc. If Google invested in becoming their own carrier, I for one would consider them.
Is spectrum one of the things that Google has it's hand in?

Kevin OQuinn

AC Team Emeritus
May 17, 2010
Visit site
They definitely could be American only. Just use the same freqs as AT&T.

And then you run in to the real problem. There just isn't enough spectrum for them to run a real competitive service at the frequencies they'd want to use.

chris4404

May 13, 2010
Visit site
They definitely could be American only. Just use the same freqs as AT&T.

And then you run in to the real problem. There just isn't enough spectrum for them to run a real competitive service at the frequencies they'd want to use.
Why not just buy T-mobile? It's a GSM carrier which Google has always favored and they just got a nice chuck of AWS from Ma Bell to help with growth. I know T-Mobile's sitting on a pile of debt but it's not like Google doesn't have the cash to cut a deal.

I think the larger problem is anti-trust issues.

MangoPowah

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Awesome idea, but if you think about it they'd have to be a world wide carrier because beside being an American company what would make them pick a specific country to provide for? They cant provide for the whole world because that would probably cost trillions of dollars...

My pure speculation.

But doesn't Google make ridiculous amounts of money through advertising to begin with?

Sent from my HTC One X

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
They may not buy Tmo outright, but I could see them becoming a huge presence in the MVNO field pretty much overnight.
If you apply the Nexus model, they'd have true unlimited data, all VOIP calling, and rock bottom prices, it would be a genius move.

Discovered

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
That's what I think they should do. Maximize global internets to create a mobile service

Sent from my LG-VM670 using Tapatalk 2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez