Galaxy Store installed TikTok App on my phone without my permission

scotiez

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Like the title says. Has anyone had Tiktok install on their phone without them knowing it? I was watching tv and received a notification. It was from the Galaxy Store. I tapped on it to open it and it said TikTok was successfully installed. I immediately deleted the app and went into my setting for galaxy store to confirm that unknown apps are not allowed to install. But it still happened. In the Galaxy Store I noticed that Tiktok is the editors choice, but it still shouldn't have installed on my phone. I have had many Samsung phones and totally invested into the Samsung eco system, but weird things have been happening lately that is getting me upset. If this happens again or weird things continue to happen I am thinking of dumping it all and going with pure pixel or Apple. I hate the idea of going apple but I may if things keep up the way it is.
Sorry all for the rant, I'm a little upset. But I would like to know if anyone else has had things install on it's own, and if they knew why or how to fix it.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
That sounds really annoying and disconcerting. :confused: On my Samsung devices, I know that when I open the Galaxy Store, TikTok will often show up in a little window at the bottom as a "recommended app", but I always dismiss it. Is it possible that you might have tapped on it mistakenly to install while browsing the Galaxy Store?

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
That sounds really annoying and disconcerting. :confused: On my Samsung devices, I know that when I open the Galaxy Store, TikTok will often show up in a little window at the bottom as a "recommended app", but I always dismiss it. Is it possible that you might have tapped on it mistakenly to install while browsing the Galaxy Store?
That was going to be my question. I've accidentally installed a couple of games that way.

scotiez

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
I would accept that but I haven't been in the galaxy store. The last time I was in there was a couple of days ago when I received a notification that their were some updates for a few apps. And then I just tap on the notification to bring me to the updates and install them, I then closed the app. I did not stick around to do any browsing. This is concerning to me because I am not a fan of social media apps. I have facebook installed only because I have family members on it. If it wasn't for that I wouldn't even have facebook.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you certain it's the Galaxy Store that installed it? Some carriers have annoying apps that can automatically install certain apps (e.g., T-Mobile's AppSelector), and sometimes if the Galaxy Store sees certain apps, it will offer to update them even if it didn't install them.

scotiez

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
Positive, it was the Galaxy Store. Notification said Galaxy store and Tiktok finished install. After removing the app from my phone I did go into the Galaxy store to check settings and when it first opened up It had Tiktok as a editors choice and a recommended app. Was not from my carrier (Verizon).

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, that ain't good. :confused: Go to the Contact Us option in the Galaxy Store's settings and give them feedback through the Call Us or Remote Support options.

scotiez

Oct 29, 2014
Visit site
There been lot of complaints about this , especially mid range Samsung add this as essential apps but once you remove it shouldn't come back .
I hope your right. I have the S22 ultra but I don't think that makes a difference. Thanks for your reply. It's nice to know I'm not alone in this.