Apple is falling...doomed?

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
But Apple is not failing, as some have said

Sorry, but wasn't it you that even suggested that notion with your thread title aimed squarely at starting (yet another) iOS-Android debate?

I mean, you're the one that said it to get people to read your thread in the first place...

david buda1

May 13, 2013
Visit site
I have an Android that I like. But there is no way Apple is failing. If Apple doesn't turn the industry upside down every year like they use to, then the media, and Android fans declare it on the outs. Apple simply can't keep that kind of momentum up. Know one can!

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
i'm sure they are both great phones (i've had an HTC ONE, my first android, for three weeks now). but this perfectly summarizes my thoughts...

i've never owned an iphone. i came from blackberry. but i've always owned apple computers. they make great, quality, products. i do care more about my phone than 'text, call, email, camera, and music player' but not much more. i will be weighing the cost of my concern over the next six months i am stuck with this (terrific) HTC ONE. at the end of the day, i want my phone to simplify not complicate my life. that's where apple excels. they create a sleek product that is 'intuitive' and well-designed...for me.

My long lost twin brother. I came from a 9810. I also have iPods, iPads, iMacs, ATV. I've never owned an iPhone. But if they ever release one with a 4.7" screen...

I'll tell you what's not sustainable - the carrier-free updates on iPhones. The list of countries that are telling Apple to go stuff themselves about their restrictions is growing now that Android is the world's largest mobile OS and carriers in more countries realize they simply don't need to sell iPhones at all. All 3 of Russia's largest carriers have stopped selling iPhones this year.

Kind of like the million or so iPhone users TMobile had on their network, even though it was only older iPhones, and they only worked on edge. Look at the spike in users TMobile had when they started selling iPhones. If the Russian people want iPhones, they will get them. One of the first things I did with my one is ROM it. 4.2.2 with none of the carrier crapware. So I really don't care when ATT releases 4.2.2 or any other update. I'll update when I want.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Sorry, but wasn't it you that even suggested that notion with your thread title aimed squarely at starting (yet another) iOS-Android debate?

I mean, you're the one that said it to get people to read your thread in the first place...

No, I wasn't suggesting it, I was questioning it, hence the question mark in the title. Many people are saying that Apple is failing with the iPhone, but sales figures do not support that notion.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I'll tell you what's not sustainable - the carrier-free updates on iPhones. The list of countries that are telling Apple to go stuff themselves about their restrictions is growing now that Android is the world's largest mobile OS and carriers in more countries realize they simply don't need to sell iPhones at all. All 3 of Russia's largest carriers have stopped selling iPhones this year.

Carrier-free updates will continue in the U.S., as carriers cannot afford to lose the iPhone sales (which are over half of their sales), and those carrier-free updates are Apple's requirements.
It's a shame that Android can't have the same agreement.

Notsosure

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Carrier-free updates will continue in the U.S., as carriers cannot afford to lose the iPhone sales (which are over half of their sales), and those carrier-free updates are Apple's requirements.
It's a shame that Android can't have the same agreement.

Wonder if Samsung can. I'm sure part of the reason why Apple can is due to the high volume of iPhone sales. If Apple were to pull that out the carrier would lose a lot of revenue. I'm sure at this point Samsung can negotiate with carriers based on sales of their galaxy line up.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Wonder if Samsung can. I'm sure part of the reason why Apple can is due to the high volume of iPhone sales. If Apple were to pull that out the carrier would lose a lot of revenue. I'm sure at this point Samsung can negotiate with carriers based on sales of their galaxy line up.

If anyone can do it, it will be Samsung.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
No, I wasn't suggesting it, I was questioning it, hence the question mark in the title. Many people are saying that Apple is failing with the iPhone, but sales figures do not support that notion.

I didn't think anyone was saying that, because, as you pointed out, clearly it isn't...

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

Apple isn't as secure in their demands as they used to be, despite the optimism in a couple of posts above about Apple's carrier agreements being sustainable. Russia's top 3 carriers dropped them after they used to carry iPhones. Some countries are flat out refusing Apple's demands. The reason things have changed is simple: Androids are selling far more now than they were then. Apple can't be as "you need us" smug like they used to be.

But... who said Apple was "failing" in the first place? What is this thread a reaction to?

SiempreTuna

Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Lots of people say lots of things on forums (fora?), but they say 70% of statistics are made up: I think the %age is way higher on t'interweb :D

I'm guessing if you read an Android forum, there will people talking up Apple's problems while if you read an Apple forum, they'll be talking up Android's problems.

Re Rule9s point about Apple not being able to bully the networks in quite the way it used to: that would clearly appear to be true. The Russian example is a bit of an outlier, though as most iPhones have sold through independent stores, not networks in Russia. Plus, given Putins influence in everything, I'm sure there's a quite a bit of one-in-the-eye-for-a-US-icon in all that, too.

Mr.Willie

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site

Apple isn't as secure in their demands as they used to be, despite the optimism in a couple of posts above about Apple's carrier agreements being sustainable. Russia's top 3 carriers dropped them after they used to carry iPhones. Some countries are flat out refusing Apple's demands. The reason things have changed is simple: Androids are selling far more now than they were then. Apple can't be as "you need us" smug like they used to be.

But... who said Apple was "failing" in the first place? What is this thread a reaction to?

Yes carrier stores aren't carrying them, but Russia's version of Best Buy/Radio Shack is selling them. Record quarter for activations in Russia according to Tim Cook. Go figure.

Had a smidgin more revenue over year ago quarter, but more overhead/stock repurchase/dividend payout. So they only made $6.9 billion. In a quarter. I wish I were as doomed as they are.

ryanr509

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes carrier stores aren't carrying them, but Russia's version of Best Buy/Radio Shack is selling them. Record quarter for activations in Russia according to Tim Cook. Go figure.

Had a smidgin more revenue over year ago quarter, but more overhead/stock repurchase/dividend payout. So they only made $6.9 billion. In a quarter. I wish I were as doomed as they are.

Sheesh $6.9 billion is it? They might as well be extinct!

Posted via Android Central App

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Record quarter for activation

I never said they were doomed. In fact I even said I thought this thread was foolish because nobody else is claiming they're failing or doomed either.

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site

kalo88

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
My friend bought an iphone because all of her family had one... Her contract is now up for renewal and I said 'Why don't you look at android phones' and she said 'No way... I love apple phones' yet has never used one!

Another guy I know literally loves Apple, Macbook Pro, Apple TV, iPhone, iPad, iPod... he used my nexus 4 and said it was amazing but would never buy one as he likes apple too much.