Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anyone still use SMS ?

My wife & I still pay for unlimited text msgs through our carrier (AT&T). I've never used WhatsApp or other messeger apps that can be used w/wifi only. I'll use Google Voice occasionally (I'll give out that number when arranging to meet for a craigslist transaction, for example), but can't rely on GV since it doesn't do MMS.

I recently got a BBM PIN like many others, but I don't know anyones w/one, so I don't really see the point.

Anyone else? How out of touch am I?

Default Re: Anyone still use SMS ?

I still use sms, whatsapp works off data not only wifi.
    But you're not out of date, a lot of people left BlackBerry for apple or Android but now bbm is going to be popular again, at least for a little bit.

Posted via Android Central App
    Banned

Whatsapp and standard texting is what I use.

Sent from my HTC Xperia S4

My data connection is often fickle, even at home, so my wife and I still use sms predominantly. I won't be able to wean her off it until there is a seamless experience of an im app that switches to sms when needed and without her having to think about it.

Posted via Android Central App

When I'm not at home, I'm always using SMS.
    Motorola Moto X (rooted/unlocked 4.4.2)
    HTC One X (4.1.1)
    Asus Memo Pad 10 ME301T (rooted 4.2.1)

It's ubiquitous, it's platform/os neutral, doesn't require any special software or coordination between sender and receiver beforehand. And in the US it's essentially free now, so yeah.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Still use sms for almost everything and everywhere. Only times I use anything different is to send Picture messages because when I send pictures to my gf's Iphone, it always turns out crappy and blurry. apparently it's the carriers fault.

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts

I only use SMS coupled with delivery reports.

As mentioned by earlier poster it's essentially free and also immediate.
    Putting out fire with gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by Euan Tan View Post
    Still use sms for almost everything and everywhere. Only times I use anything different is to send Picture messages because when I send pictures to my gf's Iphone, it always turns out crappy and blurry. apparently it's the carriers fault.
    Yeah I would suppose so, pics through MMS on my carrier is fantastic.
    HTC One X (4.1.1)

Between me my Husband and my Sister I use SMS A LOT.. I average 1500 sms a month.

Yep. I don't get the point of Whatsapp and BBM ... the other person has to have that same messenger otherwise you can't talk to them. I would rather just text the persons phone, regardless of app, and know they get it. That is just me though..

And as you can see below I send a lot of MMS as well ... 14 days left to go in cycle :P. I am the only one on my plan (individual).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Anyone still use SMS ?-txt.jpg  
    Thanked by:
    rdubmu 
    rdubmu likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Anyone still use SMS ?-screenshot_2013-10-25-12-04-38.png

I try and convert everyone I can to hangouts for those that don't I use Google Voice. Saves me $20 a month with ATT by doing pay-per-use messaging.

Global Posts
    39 Global Posts

I'm signed up for mobile notifications from Twitter and Facebook and I don't personally know anyone who uses IM apps. I'm not out of touch, THEY are!

Global Posts
    6,754 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock 4.4 (KitKat)

Yup, still using sms. No need at the moment to switch the service at the current moment.

Quote Originally Posted by RooGirl78 View Post
    Between me my Husband and my Sister I use SMS A LOT.. I average 1500 sms a month.
    I just looked at my account usage, over 1700 SMS over the past 3 weeks. LOL

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk Pro
    HTC One X (4.1.1)
    Thanked by:

Hi friends even still I am also using the same process but also I do use this watsapp. As I came to understand that this app is going to charge us in future however we have some more apps which are free for more details you can visit the below link

Of course, I still use SMS. Who wouldn't? It is a form of COMMUNICATION just like any of the other platforms out there. It just happens to be imbedded into your phone, provided through your cell carrier, thru their network! Most of other apps can be used via cellular or WiFi. It's always a personal preference what other people use outside of regular SMS. The reason Whatsapp or Kik and a few others became so popular is because BBM wasn't around. Now that it is, I suspect you will see a large drop in usage for the other popular apps. BBM was and still is the #1 preferred communication tool. That's what they have over the other apps. Those people who owned a BB back in the day know this. With BBM, it's easy to gain "friends" or contacts. Just post your PIN around and they will come. There are dedicated communities and forums on Facebook and Google+ for the sheer point of sharing your Pin and gaining new "friends".

SMS is still popular and those who prefer to give out their phone number to just any ol person, can use it... through their cell phone provider.
    BBM: 7B725FA9

I use Facebook chat now, because most people I know have a FB account and I also receive SMS via it as well. It's odd, because almost nobody talks about, I think Phil, Jerry et al have forgotten about these days! I actually rather like it, and (dare I admit this) like chat heads! And the free emoticons. For me, it's perfect as I get messages on my MacBook, on my HTC One and on my work Windows laptop...
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,195 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by pseudoware View Post
    My wife & I still pay for unlimited text msgs through our carrier (AT&T). I've never used WhatsApp or other messeger apps that can be used w/wifi only. I'll use Google Voice occasionally (I'll give out that number when arranging to meet for a craigslist transaction, for example), but can't rely on GV since it doesn't do MMS.

I recently got a BBM PIN like many others, but I don't know anyones w/one, so I don't really see the point.

Anyone else? How out of touch am I?
    SMS and Hangouts.

I don't want to have to tell other people to download an app to communicate with me. SMS is universal enough for my use but if they're a Google user, the conversation has moved to Hangouts.
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

Quote Originally Posted by The SPCS Guy View Post
    Of course, I still use SMS. Who wouldn't? It is a form of COMMUNICATION just like any of the other platforms out there. It just happens to be imbedded into your phone, provided through your cell carrier, thru their network! Most of other apps can be used via cellular or WiFi. It's always a personal preference what other people use outside of regular SMS. The reason Whatsapp or Kik and a few others became so popular is because BBM wasn't around. Now that it is, I suspect you will see a large drop in usage for the other popular apps. BBM was and still is the #1 preferred communication tool. That's what they have over the other apps. Those people who owned a BB back in the day know this. With BBM, it's easy to gain "friends" or contacts. Just post your PIN around and they will come. There are dedicated communities and forums on Facebook and Google+ for the sheer point of sharing your Pin and gaining new "friends".

SMS is still popular and those who prefer to give out their phone number to just any ol person, can use it... through their cell phone provider.
    BBM: 7B725FA9
    Doesn't whatsapp have many more users than BBM? I doubt people will leave it in droves. BBM is old school.

BBM's advantage is security, but not sure if Android/iOS's BBM goes through the BIS servers that BB version does. And then there's the PIN number, it's really not that different than using a hotmail address or something for Skype (Who in their right mind uses a hotmail addy for their main email), and with Hangout the only concern is the phone number however I only SMS/Skype with people I already know, BBM is probably better for talking to people you met on IRC or at college or something. When I was a BB goer I had over 60 BBM contacts mostly coworkers, family and friends and some were people I met at seminars, conference, golf tournament, coffee shops, etc. I remember that RIM had to shutdown BIS over in the middle-east because insurgents were using it to communicate while the US military couldn't intercept their messages.
    HTC One X (4.1.1)

I'm well aware of the apparent benefits of BBM, including the overhyped security. I used Blackberry's for years. I just believe the world has moved on and there are new ways to communicate. It will still attract some people, especially for nostalgic reasons. Business users may continue to use it. I just don't think it will bring down the newer apps.

At least in Canada all plans are basically going to unlimited SMS. So considering its platform agnostic and does the job with minimal impact on my battery I just don't see any reason to go to a messenger app.

Global Posts
    339 Global Posts

I have Whatsapp, BBM, Hangouts and SMS.

One of two friends each on BBM and Hangouts, I'm going to uninstall them. Whatsapp.... I've got a half dozen people with whom I communicate a lot with, and when one of my kids was overseas for a couple of years it was the ONLY way he'd communicate (along with most of Europe).

SMS - it's universal, it works, most people have unlimited plans. I'm averaging about 1,200 SMS txts a month.

The messaging market is so fragmented, SMS is the workhorse of messaging.
    Treo 650 => Treo 700P => BB Curve 8330 => VZW BB Bold 9650 => VZW BB Bold 9930 => Droid RAZR MAXX HD
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast