Anyone still use SMS ?

pseudoware

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
My wife & I still pay for unlimited text msgs through our carrier (AT&T). I've never used WhatsApp or other messeger apps that can be used w/wifi only. I'll use Google Voice occasionally (I'll give out that number when arranging to meet for a craigslist transaction, for example), but can't rely on GV since it doesn't do MMS.

I recently got a BBM PIN like many others, but I don't know anyones w/one, so I don't really see the point.

Anyone else? How out of touch am I?

Jron954

May 8, 2013
Visit site
I still use sms, whatsapp works off data not only wifi.
But you're not out of date, a lot of people left BlackBerry for apple or Android but now bbm is going to be popular again, at least for a little bit.

Posted via Android Central App

gumpty

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
My data connection is often fickle, even at home, so my wife and I still use sms predominantly. I won't be able to wean her off it until there is a seamless experience of an im app that switches to sms when needed and without her having to think about it.

Posted via Android Central App

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
It's ubiquitous, it's platform/os neutral, doesn't require any special software or coordination between sender and receiver beforehand. And in the US it's essentially free now, so yeah.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Euan Tan

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
Still use sms for almost everything and everywhere. Only times I use anything different is to send Picture messages because when I send pictures to my gf's Iphone, it always turns out crappy and blurry. apparently it's the carriers fault.

Sizzers

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
I only use SMS coupled with delivery reports.

As mentioned by earlier poster it's essentially free and also immediate.

TeknoBug

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
Still use sms for almost everything and everywhere. Only times I use anything different is to send Picture messages because when I send pictures to my gf's Iphone, it always turns out crappy and blurry. apparently it's the carriers fault.

Yeah I would suppose so, pics through MMS on my carrier is fantastic.

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Yep. I don't get the point of Whatsapp and BBM ... the other person has to have that same messenger otherwise you can't talk to them. I would rather just text the persons phone, regardless of app, and know they get it. That is just me though..

And as you can see below I send a lot of MMS as well ... 14 days left to go in cycle :p. I am the only one on my plan (individual).

Attachments

• txt.JPG
    txt.JPG
    14.7 KB · Views: 59

ianberg

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I'm signed up for mobile notifications from Twitter and Facebook and I don't personally know anyone who uses IM apps. I'm not out of touch, THEY are!

The SPCS Guy

Dec 5, 2009
Visit site
Of course, I still use SMS. Who wouldn't? It is a form of COMMUNICATION just like any of the other platforms out there. It just happens to be imbedded into your phone, provided through your cell carrier, thru their network! Most of other apps can be used via cellular or WiFi. It's always a personal preference what other people use outside of regular SMS. The reason Whatsapp or Kik and a few others became so popular is because BBM wasn't around. Now that it is, I suspect you will see a large drop in usage for the other popular apps. BBM was and still is the #1 preferred communication tool. That's what they have over the other apps. Those people who owned a BB back in the day know this. With BBM, it's easy to gain "friends" or contacts. Just post your PIN around and they will come. There are dedicated communities and forums on Facebook and Google+ for the sheer point of sharing your Pin and gaining new "friends".

SMS is still popular and those who prefer to give out their phone number to just any ol person, can use it... through their cell phone provider.
BBM: 7B725FA9

robsawalker

Jun 30, 2012
Visit site
I use Facebook chat now, because most people I know have a FB account and I also receive SMS via it as well. It's odd, because almost nobody talks about, I think Phil, Jerry et al have forgotten about these days! I actually rather like it, and (dare I admit this) like chat heads! And the free emoticons. For me, it's perfect as I get messages on my MacBook, on my HTC One and on my work Windows laptop...

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
My wife & I still pay for unlimited text msgs through our carrier (AT&T). I've never used WhatsApp or other messeger apps that can be used w/wifi only. I'll use Google Voice occasionally (I'll give out that number when arranging to meet for a craigslist transaction, for example), but can't rely on GV since it doesn't do MMS.

I recently got a BBM PIN like many others, but I don't know anyones w/one, so I don't really see the point.

Anyone else? How out of touch am I?

SMS and Hangouts.

I don't want to have to tell other people to download an app to communicate with me. SMS is universal enough for my use but if they're a Google user, the conversation has moved to Hangouts.

anon(50597)

Trusted Member
Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
Of course, I still use SMS. Who wouldn't? It is a form of COMMUNICATION just like any of the other platforms out there. It just happens to be imbedded into your phone, provided through your cell carrier, thru their network! Most of other apps can be used via cellular or WiFi. It's always a personal preference what other people use outside of regular SMS. The reason Whatsapp or Kik and a few others became so popular is because BBM wasn't around. Now that it is, I suspect you will see a large drop in usage for the other popular apps. BBM was and still is the #1 preferred communication tool. That's what they have over the other apps. Those people who owned a BB back in the day know this. With BBM, it's easy to gain "friends" or contacts. Just post your PIN around and they will come. There are dedicated communities and forums on Facebook and Google+ for the sheer point of sharing your Pin and gaining new "friends".

SMS is still popular and those who prefer to give out their phone number to just any ol person, can use it... through their cell phone provider.
BBM: 7B725FA9

Doesn't whatsapp have many more users than BBM? I doubt people will leave it in droves. BBM is old school.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non