Nexus 5, LG G2 or Galaxy S4?

Foramex

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey all, So I am in the market for a new phone and I wanted to finally give Android a try for the first time. After some research I have concluded that on paper the LG G2 was the best and I got excited thinking I have finally decided which to get...

We all know that just because it is good on paper that does not mean the actual user experience is good. I would have chosen the Nexus 5 hands down if I could get the 32GB and it had a better camera but mainly the storage is my main concerns. However I mostly care about the camera which the G2 and S4 have the most megapixel, and it is a known fact that the Nexus camera is not that great but it is improving, correct? Oh and the G2 has low light issues which is a turn off otherwise I would have went with it.
About the G2, I have it and I can tell you the user experience is amazing. The battery life is better then any phone I ever had including S4, the camera is excellent, and the screen is amazing.
I am probably going to end up deciding between Nexus 5 and Galaxy S4(w/ Nova Launcher). I want an overall good phone hardware and software wise that I will not regret getting over the other.
Why not the LG G2? I compared it to the S4 and it (the G2) took it mainly due to same screen, better processor, much better battery.

PS, are there any new phones that are coming out soon that will satisfy most of my needs in one package?

Thanks!
Not any that are coming in the next few months. Just buy one now since a new phone is released or about to be all the time, so just choose one and buy it.

Last edited:

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I actually was in the same situation back in Nov. And was looking at the same three phones. I bought the G2 for my wife the phone is great and has some real nice features. Considering that the N5 is the G2 with Google input , the g2 stands out. The only real advantage of the N5 is the price.

The G2 is easier to use and has a better screen, camera, and battery. The S4 is a great phone and does have some excellent camera options

Yev91

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
About the G2, I have it and I can tell you the user experience is amazing. The battery life is better then any phone I ever had including S4, the camera is excellent, and the screen is amazing.

Why not the LG G2? I compared it to the S4 and it took mainly due to same screen, better processor, much better battery.

Not any that are coming in the next few months. Just buy one now since a new phone is released or about to be all the time, so just choose one and buy it.

I am really considering the G2 now... I want bigger battery and storage.

Coming from the Lumia 920 its pains me that the camera has issues like zooming during video makes it blurry from what I have seen on youtube even with a 13mp sensor. Is it possible to install the the stock camera app to fix the zoom?

Foramex

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I am really considering the G2 now... I want bigger battery and storage.

Coming from the Lumia 920 its pains me that the camera has issues like zooming during video makes it blurry from what I have seen on youtube even with a 13mp sensor. Is it possible to install the the stock camera app to fix the zoom?

I saw what other people are experiencing, but I know that personally I didn't find any zooming problems during videos with my D802....
Really, any person I see I recommend him to buy the G2. It's just such an excellent, under-rated phone that's it's sad. People are not aware to its excellent qualities due to the disastrous ad campaign by LG...
If screen and battery (with a capital BATTERY!! I never had to charge in the middle of the day, sometimes it even lasts 3) are your most important things in a smartphone, then the G2 takes everyone by a mile.
P.S. If you decide to buy a G2 and have any problems with it, feel free to PM me and I'll answer any questions you might have.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
If screen and battery (with a capital BATTERY!! I never had to charge in the middle of the day, sometimes it even lasts 3) are your most important things in a smartphone, then the G2 takes everyone by a mile.
What about the Note 3? Battery life is almost as good but the camera is better imo. Removable battery and storage, plus traditional buttons make it better in my eyes.

Posted via Android Central App

Yev91

Jun 14, 2013
Visit site
What about the Note 3? Battery life is almost as good but the camera is better imo. Removable battery and storage, plus traditional buttons make it better in my eyes.

Its just too big for what I need it for...

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site

I think the Note 3 looks like a great device in many ways. It has plenty to offer. Just a bit to big for me as well

My Evo lte Filling the shoes of my HTC One

_X_

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

I'm assuming the poster is looking at a smaller phone.
But I own the Note3 and it rocks over the G2. The pen integration really is a huge plus.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
But I own the Note3 and it rocks over the G2. The pen integration really is a huge plus.

The S4 is good too. A little laggy but again, the removable battery, expandable storage and traditional buttons make it better for me. Camera is better as well and since I'm on a custom ROM I don't deal with the lag

Foramex

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
To be fair, I agree the Note 3 might overcome the G2 in some parameters, but the Note 3 is simply too big for me...

jaywz

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
Here is my two cents....Picked up a new phone today and those were the one's I was pretty much looking at.

First which ever one you get I don't think you'll be disappointed with. The power button on my GS3 suddenly stopped working correctly which left me with a phone constantly rebooting and just basically going mad. With that being said I like to switch brands and try different phones instead of sticking with the same kind, so I toyed with the SG4 some but never gave it a fair shot. Cam was great, phone is sleek and thin. Care less about touchwiz, just going to put nova over it anyways. Def a nice phone though, although not really much different from what I was coming from other then minor upgrades.

The G2 was beautiful, awesome screen, sleek (very similar looking to the SG4) just a little bigger. Camera was good but I wasn't blow away by it. A little bit thicker but not bad. Really, really nice phone. Not sure how it doesn't get more run. The Nexus was right next to it so was comparing them side by side. Didn't hear good things about it's camera but the pics I took in the store cam out great, better then the G2. No bloatware on it plus always updated. Screen is good but not better then the G2. My opinion it's not as flashy looking as the other two it has a really good feel in the hand.

So anyway, I went with the Nexus. Deciding factor for me was pretty much the G2 was just a tad to big, if it wasn't for that I def would have got it. The Nexus is close in size but it just felt better in my hand and not like I was holding a tablet. I'll only keep it for a year, so these decisions aren't as bad as some that keep there phones for years. Honestly you really can't go wrong with any of them.

Cheers

NoNexus

May 10, 2013
Visit site
I have no horse in this race at all.

The Nexus camera is pretty bad, so take that out of the equation.

That leaves the G2 and the S4. Both have their ups and downs. The thing really holding the G2 back is LGs track record. I am not seeing them setting the world on fire updating, and know one know for how long they will update a phone. For example, right now they have no plans to update last years phone. THe G2 will get Kit Kat, but what about the next one.

The S4 is getting Kit Kat this month, and Samsung has a long history of updating phones that are 2 years oldish.

Why am I focusing on this? Because spec wise they are close to each other.

You said that storage is important, well you can expand the S4 up to 96GB (with a 64GB card) and supports moving apps to the sd card. Photos can go there as well.

The camera is better on the S4 as well. Not by much but a touch better.

After saying all that, It is still a toss up. I like the G2 and the S4. I would say that you will ultimately get a longer use out of the S4 but the G2 is awesome.

Honestly if you can hold out a few months, I would get one of the new ones that will be out in the March-April timeframe.

If you have to get one now, I would go with S4.

trivor

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
G2 all the way. My GS3 had poor radios cell and data, G2 camera is excellent(including low light) and best battery life of any phone not named Note(too big) or MAXX(lesser screen, heavier and so so camera).

phoneaddict78

Nov 23, 2013
Visit site
I would get the G2 especially if you're renewing your contract because the G2 is worth quite a bit more then the nexus 5 and has as a bigger battery and a bigger processor then the GS4.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using AC Forums mobile app

undulose

Jan 3, 2014
Visit site
Hey all, So I am in the market for a new phone and I wanted to finally give Android a try for the first time. After some research I have concluded that on paper the LG G2 was the best and I got excited thinking I have finally decided which to get...

We all know that just because it is good on paper that does not mean the actual user experience is good. I would have chosen the Nexus 5 hands down if I could get the 32GB and it had a better camera but mainly the storage is my main concerns. However I mostly care about the camera which the G2 and S4 have the most megapixel, and it is a known fact that the Nexus camera is not that great but it is improving, correct? Oh and the G2 has low light issues which is a turn off otherwise I would have went with it.

I am probably going to end up deciding between Nexus 5 and Galaxy S4(w/ Nova Launcher). I want an overall good phone hardware and software wise that I will not regret getting over the other.

PS, are there any new phones that are coming out soon that will satisfy most of my needs in one package?

Thanks!

You have very unclear wants on a phone! Better list the things you want on a phone, then choose the one with the aspect that matters to you the most. Read or watch camera comparisons if those matter to you. In terms of battery life, G2 has the largest. In overall experience, it depends on the UI you'll like.

Better choose a phone now since 1080p display on these devices are very sharp. The trend for movies and apps will still be on 720p to 1080p for two years, I think, since 2K to 4K will also mean gigabytes of file size!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I bought the Moto X because I decided all the phones you are considering were a little larger than I wanted. So I also have no horse in this race. If it hadn't been for the size, I think I would have gone with the S2. The major downside is that it is less likely to get updates than the other phones you are considering. But the battery seemed like a huge benefit, and I liked some of the added features. I think the buttons on the back would have worked well for me -- I am constantly pressing the side buttons by mistake when I grab the phone, (on multiple phones) and back buttons would be less prone to that, but still handy when you are holding it.

The Nexus is most likely to stay updated, but it has the worst camera (not something I care much about, but it sounds like you do), has very limited storage (I am already over 16gb on a phone I've had for a month) has a mediocre battery, and by most reports, mediocre cell reception, too.

Have you considered the HTC 1? The developer's edition will likely get updates, and it might suit your needs.

Niko T

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I have no horse in this race at all.

The Nexus camera is pretty bad, so take that out of the equation.

Thanks!

Hi Yev91 and NoNexus,

I had the Galaxy S4 (for 6 months) and the Nexus 5 and i choose the Nexus 5. I had the same worries about the camera, especially since i had last year the Nexus 4 with it's really bad camera, but you have no reason to afraid with the Nexus 5!

- Camera
The Nexus camera has less megapixel but the quality is equal to the one of the S4. To tell the truth i find the Nexus camera way better due to the simple fact that it takes great pictures on low light conditions. With the Nexus camera you can take pictures in parties and indoor that look great, while the iphone 5s and galaxy S4 give up. This is in my eyes a huge advantage and that resulted me in having to take all the party and Silverster pictures with my Nexus 5.
The 360 shots don't work so good on a small room (15-20 square meters) but otherwise are just EPIC!
The frontface camera of the nexus 5 is much worse than the one of the Galaxy S4, but i don't make selfies....
If you don't believe me, watch a couple of youtube videos to compare!

- I use myself Novalauncher on my Nexus and it works why better (faster) than it did on my S4. I simply have no lag with my Nexus 5 while i had some tiny lag on the S4.

- The huge differences are 3 and a half.
-- MicroSD
I had a 64GB microsd card on my Galaxy S4 and could have my 30GB of music. I have everything on Googleplay but you don't always have good internet connection. (i have the Nexus 5 32GB)
-- Infrared
Using the galaxy S4 as universal remote control was fun and i miss it a bit.
-- Latest Android
Yes this is a difference and all the guys out there know what i mean, especially the ones stuck with Galaxy S3 in Android v.4.Historysomething compared to a nexus 4 with Kit Kat.
-- The Half
Is streaming to a Samsung TV (Higher Models), you can do the same with chromecast on Nexus.
Wireless charging. This is a huge Plus for me, but you can upgrade your S4 really easy (had it). Though the new magnetic Nexus wireless charger (great idea for charging/holding your nexus vertically on your car) gives to the Nexus an advantage.
- PS: The Battery on the Galaxy S4 holds about 10% more than the Nexus 5 and that makes the difference sometimes at the end of the day. Still both hold longer than the iphone 5s on same usage.

As already being said evtl. Galaxy S5 but it depends how long you can wait...

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tomarsha95