Need advise for a new phone

mjt1265

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

Its been a looong time since I've been on here. Missed it, I just work to damn much nowadays.

With that being said I have been out of the loop for a while. I am due for a new phone and need help deciding what to get. I have the S3 currently and have been pleased but I am wanting to try something new. In your opinions what i the best phone on VZW and why?

I will not go iphone, Moto scares me since we do not know what direction they will go now with updates etc. I have never had an HTC phone and have heard good things. What are your thoughts?I appreciate it guys thanks again!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
When is your upgrade due? There's possibly a few new phones in the coming months that might be worth waiting for.
If you can't, the S4 is a good option if you want to stick with something similar, but not too different. The G2 is also really good, as is the HTC One, even though its almost a year old

Posted via Android Central App

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I recommend the developer edition of Verizon Moto X. It's less bloat than other devices, overall great experience with useful features like active notification and touchless, decent build quality, good voice call quality and speaker, good battery life. Right now I would only consider another device if I absolutely need an excellent phone camera, such as Galaxy S4 and LG G2, but I think stock android from the Moto X give best experience. The HTC One is also a very good phone, somehow I don't mind its tone down Sense 5 compared to the interface of Samsung or LG, but it also doesn't have the best camera for all conditions.

This interview with ceo of lenovo should alleviate your concerns: Lenovo CEO on Apple, Samsung: 'Our mission is to surpass them' - Fortune Tech

mjt1265

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Thanks!

I got my S3 over a yr ago off ebay so i can upgrade at anytime. I may wait to see what comes out in the near future, If i can fight the urge for something new and different. The only thing wrong with my phone is a crack in the bottom left corner and some dust under the screen.

- - - Updated - - -

I recommend the developer edition of Verizon Moto X. It's less bloat than other devices, overall great experience with useful features like active notification and touchless, decent build quality, good voice call quality and speaker.

This interview with ceo of lenovo should alleviate your concerns: Lenovo CEO on Apple, Samsung: 'Our mission is to surpass them' - Fortune Tech

Thanks I'll take a look

mjt1265

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I recommend the developer edition of Verizon Moto X. It's less bloat than other devices, overall great experience with useful features like active notification and touchless, decent build quality, good voice call quality and speaker, good battery life. Right now I would only consider another device if I absolutely need an excellent phone camera, such as Galaxy S4 and LG G2, but I think stock android from the Moto X give best experience. The HTC One is also a very good phone, somehow I don't mind its tone down Sense 5 compared to the interface of Samsung or LG, but it also doesn't have the best camera for all conditions.

Where do I get the dev edition?

someguy01234

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
Where do I get the dev edition?
Here: Motorola - A Google Company
The reason I recommend the dev version is because it is not possible at all to unlock the bootloader for the regular version Verizon (and ATT). You might not need to do this since its only intended for rooting, it might be useful if there are no longer updates for the Moto X in the future. If you don't need it, then just get the regular version which is cheaper and allow you to customize the colors.

pgg101

Nov 27, 2013
Visit site
For me, I'd go to a store and spend some time playing with different devices. I think I spent a few weeks at the local Telus store before I purchased my last fall.

Posted via Android Central App on BlackBerry Z30

mjt1265

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
Here: Motorola - A Google Company
The reason I recommend the dev version is because it is not possible at all to unlock the bootloader for the regular version Verizon (and ATT). You might not need to do this since its only intended for rooting, it might be useful if there are no longer updates for the Moto X in the future. If you don't need it, then just get the regular version which is cheaper and allow you to customize the colors.

I haven't rooted a phone since my galaxy nexus. That actually sounds like fun. Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mjt1265

Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
For me, I'd go to a store and spend some time playing with different devices. I think I spent a few weeks at the local Telus store before I purchased my last fall.

Posted via Android Central App on BlackBerry Z30

I might, I just hate the sales people always bugging me lol. Thanks!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
In your opinions what i the best phone on VZW and why?
The Moto X Dev Ed - unlockable bootloader and it doesn't void your warranty to unlock the bootloader. Easy to root, too. And since KitKat closed the exploit that FoxFi was using to allow free WiFi tether for unlimited data plans, if you like to WiFi tether, you need to root on KitKat or pay an extra $30/mo to Verizon.

Moto X Developer Edition for Verizon - A Google Company

Right now it is on sale for $70 off so it is $380. There are codes for another $30 off that are being posted in the Moto X forum, but the codes are unique codes so you have to get one when it is first posted. That comes to $350.

And if you buy a used Motorola Admiral off of ebay for $25, you can get a $100 Motorola prepaid Visa when you send it in as part of their tradeup program.

So with the coupon and the extra $75 for the tradeup program after you purchase the used Admiral off of ebay, the price comes down to $275. And did I mention the free 50GB of Google Drive storage for 2 years?

Last edited:

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Tell them you're just browsing, then turn away ...
I do the same thing but in all fairness they are just doing the job as their employer wants them to do their job. They have to greet you and ask you if you need help and keep coming back to you if there aren't others in the store. Lots of people want that kind of attention and if they don't get it they complain.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Oh, definitely. I'm not suggesting to be rude to the salespeople--I should have said, "Tell them you're just browsing, smile, then turn away.":) This is my way of letting the really aggressive salespeople know that I need time on my own, and I'll contact them when I need them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty