Nexus 8 or iPad Mini, what's the best tablet for college?

Dannirobern

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

I'm looking for a tablet for school.
It would be nice to take notes but I could probably make do with a good bluetooth keyboard as long as the device could access either Google Drive or a Micro Word alternative app.
It should probably have at least 2 RAM, I don't know how much faster that is than 1 RAM but I heard 1 is too slow.
So I need Bluetooth, and either expandable memory or 16GB+ built in.
Preferably under $500.
Any ideas?

Last edited:

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Best Tablet For College

Hi,

I'm looking for a tablet for school.
It would be nice to take notes but I could probably make do with a good bluetooth keyboard as long as the device could access either Google Drive or a Micro Word alternative app.
It should probably have at least 2 RAM, I don't know how much faster that is than 1 RAM but I heard 1 is true.
So I need Bluetooth, and either expandable memory or 16GB+ built in.
Preferably under $500.
Any ideas?

Welcome to the forums.
Depending on when classes resume, You might want to keep an eye on the Nexus line of devices. They are pretty cheap. A Nexus 10 ( 10" ) 32 GB is $499, and they only get cheaper as you go smaller on size and storage.

The reason I said depending on when classes start, (and how long you can last without one) is the next line of Nexus devices are probably going to be released soon. That being said, the current ones will go on sale, thus making the tablet even less.

RAM: doesn't work the same way on Android as it does on other OS devices. If you get anything other than a Nexus, You might need a little more as OEM skins tend to be a little heavy on resources like RAM and remaining storage space.

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

I know you are on an Android forum, but...

How about a Dell Venue Pro 8" tablet? Full Windows 8.1 + Office Home and Student. Starting at $249 you could spend the remainder of the budget on storage capacity upgrade, Bluetooth keyboard and an Active Stylus for note taking. This tablet says work, rather than play and might be a better fit, IMHO.

Dannirobern

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site

I know you are on an Android forum, but...

How about a Dell Venue Pro 8" tablet? Full Windows 8.1 + Office Home and Student. Starting at $249 you could spend the remainder of the budget on storage capacity upgrade, Bluetooth keyboard and an Active Stylus for note taking. This tablet says work, rather than play and might be a better fit, IMHO.

I'll look into that one, thanks!

Dannirobern

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
Does Samsung Support Its Devices?

I am looking for a tablet to buy and am interested in a Galaxy Note pad but I'm wary of Samsung because they have failed to help us when our fridge had lots of issues.
Does samsung continue to update older models to the newest version of android? Or do they ditch older models?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: Does Samsung Support Its Devices?

The electronics division is most likely a completely separate entity from the appliances division, so don't let that experience sway you.

I don't know if Samsung made any kind of commitment to update their devices for a certain amount of time, but in general, you can expect most major companies to provide updates for about 12-18 months or so. Beyond that, it becomes much less likely. Especially with how many different devices Samsung makes (and keeps introducing), it becomes very difficult and impractical to update every single older device in their line for too long.

Dannirobern

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site
What Company Updates Their Devices Longest?/Best Cust. Service

What I mean by this is, what company will continue updating your device (phone or tab) to the latest android version the longest?
Apple probably does the best job with this, but it's a bit expensive. I'm looking for a tablet for college, preferably under $400, more preferably under $300. I worry about samsung even though they have good tabs, because they come out with so many so it seems plausible that they can't afford to support them all and would quickly forget about old models.
I'm looking at these:
LG G Pad 8.3 Google Play
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8"
Google Nexus 8 (hesitant about this because of predicted $400+ price)
and the windows tabs:
Asus Vivotab Note 8 (note feature is a plus)
Acer Iconia w4
Dell Venue Pro
Hesitate also for windows tabs because they would require lots of stylus use, windows isn't well adapted to tablet screen size.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: What Company Updates Their Devices Longest?/Best Cust. Service

Nexus devices will get the best support. The 2013 Nexus 7 is still an excellent device, so you don't necessarily have to consider whatever upcoming unreleased model they have yet to announce. The LG G Pad GPE will probably also get good support, since it's a Google Play Edition.

I'd be hesitant about Samsung tablets when it comes to updates. Samsung does support its devices pretty well, but I see too many posts here about problems with updates. Probably more with their phones, but it makes me worry about their tablets as well.

Also keep in mind that in the past year or so, a fair amount of what would typically be updated in system updates has been shifted over to Google Play Services updates. These happen automatically and in the background, pushed out by Google, and are not system updates. So more Android devices can benefit from various improvements in Google services without having to wait for the next system update, if it ever comes to that device.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Less important, but major updates like the upcoming Android L will still provide quantum leaps forward that Google Play Services updates can't provide.

Posted via Android Central App

Dannirobern

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site

Ok, thanks. That makes me lean towards the LG G pad GPE but maybe I need to find out more about samsung tablets and support for those...

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

I agree.

BTW - we are over here if you're lost - - - > (nice avatar)

Dannirobern

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site

Haha. It's an old photo.
Madd54 do you know anything about Samsung's tablet support?

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

No. Afraid not. Different country and time zone probably. No tablet yet. Samsung phones, no serious issues.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Of your list, if these are wifi only, you would be crazy not to consider the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4.
Far superior to those imo, and better finished than the almost identical Tab S that has come out more recently still. I know they were available for $249 in the US recently, and are currently $329 on Amazon, so look around. Ask in the Samsung Tablets Tab Pro 8.4 forums.
It's the one I have an eye on.

Samsung are fine for CS in general. They would generally replace by mail after conacting them. Amazon or your store possibly even better.

The Tab Pro 8.4 also has the newest version of Touchwiz, which I like, and is not available on my Note 3 phone. It should last you at least 2 - 3 years.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=i...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUacUvbUpU3810568

Dannirobern

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site

Of your list, if these are wifi only, you would be crazy not to consider the Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4.
Far superior to those imo, and better finished than the almost identical Tab S that has come out more recently still. I know they were available for $249 in the US recently, and are currently $329 on Amazon, so look around. Ask in the Samsung Tablets Tab Pro 8.4 forums.
It's the one I have an eye on.

Samsung are fine for CS in general. They would generally replace by mail after conacting them. Amazon or your store possibly even better.

The Tab Pro 8.4 also has the newest version of Touchwiz, which I like, and is not available on my Note 3 phone. It should last you at least 2 - 3 years.

The Tab Pro 8.4 looks good but on cnet it says it lags when using the multi-window function, which seems to me a pretty big issue. I would worry about there not being enough memory after updates and such in the future.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

The Tab Pro 8.4 looks good but on cnet it says it lags when using the multi-window function, which seems to me a pretty big issue. I would worry about there not being enough memory after updates and such in the future.

It has the same power and screen resolution as my Note 3. It has 2gb of ram which is loads, especially as ir doesn't have the S-Pen of the Note tablets, or sim radios.

You won't buy anything if you read all the 1 hour reviews. Most people on the AC Tab Pro 8.4 forums are very happy with the running of theirs. Check out a few threads like below and ask questions there. Good luck.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/showthread.php?t=399586

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro

Dannirobern

Jul 9, 2014
Visit site

Hmm, ok, thanks for the link that's helpful.
Isn't August/September when Samsung usually releases a bunch of new devices? I was going to wait a month and see what was released. The Note 8 looks good... I wonder if a new version would be that expensive.

anon8380037

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site

Hmm, ok, thanks for the link that's helpful.
Isn't August/September when Samsung usually releases a bunch of new devices? I was going to wait a month and see what was released. The Note 8 looks good... I wonder if a new version would be that expensive.

The Note 8 has a very low resolution 1200 x 800. It has 3 year old+ Touchwiz like my Note 3 phone. It was good this time last year.
The 10.1 2014 is a far better pen tablet and has been out 8 months roughly. I don't need an S-Pen after not using it much on my phone, though it's more useful on a karger tablet.
Samsung release their top phones, or display them, around September, though the S5 they moved to early in the year. They churn out tablets more often only because they have at least 3 main lines in different sizes.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk Pro