Samsung Galaxy Note 3 still a good buy?

thyde76

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
Be warned, this is long, but your input is really appreciated and your opinions are valued.

In my long journey to buying my first Android phone, I've become intrigued by the idea of using a stylus to be able to jot notes down which would allow me to not have to always carry a notebook or pad, especially while I'm at work. Honestly, though, I'm not sure how often I would really use a stylus, because I've never had one before.

Up until today, I had really been leaning toward the LG G3 and then buying a small capacitive stylus on a key ring. Then I could have the phone that I'm pretty sure I want and a stylus to be able to take notes, but I'm not sure how well the LG G3 works with a stylus.

Today, I was at Target, of all places, and I was in their cell phone aisle, and the AT&T area had the Note 3, which I had never looked at before. I like how it has 32gb internal memory and is expandable. It has the S Pen. The camera seems to be good. I know it's large, but it looks like it would fit the bill.

My main uses for the phone would be mostly as a phone, then it would be listening to music, social media, light web browsing, email, and taking pictures (especially at my sons' hockey games).

Price is important to me. That's why I'm asking about the Note 3 and not the Note 4. On AT&T Next, it's $10 cheaper per month than the Note 4. It is, however, only $1 cheaper than the LG G3.

Questions.
- The AT&T site says it's only expandable to 64gb. Is that really the case, or could I get a 128gb microSD card to work?
- How well does the camera do indoors in low light, especially with action shots (again, my boys play hockey)
- How well does it still stand up to the other more current flagships that are out there.

If you guys who own the LG G3 say it works well with a stylus, then I'll probably still go with that, but I thought this could also be a contender.

thyde76

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
When you're trying to not have the family's monthly bill go up, $10 makes a difference. So that reply didn't answer my question. Anybody else?

Posted via the Android Central App

thyde76

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site
Is the Galaxy Note 3 still a good buy?

I asked this in the General area, but I didn't get any helpful feedback. Moderators, if you have to delete one, please delete the one in General, as I think I can get some more valuable feedback here.

Be warned, this is long, but your input is really appreciated and your opinions are valued.

In my long journey to buying my first Android phone, I've become intrigued by the idea of using a stylus to be able to jot notes down which would allow me to not have to always carry a notebook or pad, especially while I'm at work. Honestly, though, I'm not sure how often I would really use a stylus, because I've never had one before.

Up until today, I had really been leaning toward the LG G3 and then buying a small capacitive stylus on a key ring. Then I could have the phone that I'm pretty sure I want and a stylus to be able to take notes, but I'm not sure how well the LG G3 works with a stylus.

Today, I was at Target, of all places, and I was in their cell phone aisle, and the AT&T area had the Note 3, which I had never looked at before. I like how it has 32gb internal memory and is expandable. It has the S Pen. The camera seems to be good. I know it's large, but it looks like it would fit the bill.

My main uses for the phone would be mostly as a phone, then it would be listening to music, social media, light web browsing, email, and taking pictures (especially at my sons' hockey games).

Price is important to me. That's why I'm asking about the Note 3 and not the Note 4. On AT&T Next, it's $10 cheaper per month than the Note 4. It is, however, only $1 cheaper than the LG G3.

Questions.
- The AT&T site says it's only expandable to 64gb. Is that really the case, or could I get a 128gb microSD card to work?
- How well does the camera do indoors in low light, especially with action shots (again, my boys play hockey)
- How well does it still stand up to the other more current flagships that are out there.

If you guys who own the LG G3 say it works well with a stylus, then I'll probably still go with that, but I thought this could also be a contender.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Is the Galaxy Note 3 still a good buy?

64GB according to the specs.

It's not a Nikon. If the place isn't well lit, very few camera phones will do well with action shots. (You need something around an F 0.95 lens, which you aren't going to find on a phone or a cheap camera.)

Mine's about 15 months old. I plan on keeping it at least another few years.

(BTW, I'm a software junkie. There's probably at least a few GB I can clean off internal storage, and I still have 16GB free. (The SD card is another matter - I run Safestrap and if I create 3 slots, I'm about out of room on a 32GB card - with all my app and data backups on it.)

The nice things about the Note are that the stylus fits into the phone, so if you have the phone you have the stylus, and you have handwriting to text ability - I don't know if you can do that on the G3, stylus or not.

BTW, check their service plan against AT&T's. Sometimes it's cheaper, or the copay is less. (And 5% off if you have a Target credit card [or apply for one when you buy the phone].)

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm still using the note 2.
I buy phones off of swappa.com because I can keep my unlimited data and I stay a model year behind. That being said the note line is amazing. I'm hanging into this until the 5 is announced and then get a 3 or 4.

I love screen and camera of the 4.the feel of the 3 is better IMHO

Posted via the Android Central App

neonworm

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

Buy why? What are the advantages to buying the Note 3 over one of the newer phones?

I'm really on the fence right now about which to buy.

Because the Note 3 still has most of the features that current flagships have. And, its processing power is still close to that of newer flagships. It is more than enough phone for the average person.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

And it's a lot cheaper than the Note 4. (And if you can get one that still has 4.3 on it, and turn updating off, you get rid of the KitKat problems and can root it easier than taking a screenshot.)

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

I'm hoping I can still find a new Note 3 this time next month. While I have and love my Note 4 and Alpha I wish I hadn't sold my Note 3. The stylus is really useful.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

I would assume the stylus on the Note 4 is just as useful. :)

A new one, though? The AT&T is so locked down, and 4.4.4 is out on AT&T (on my wife's phone - mine has updating disabled), so until someone can give me a root method for 4.4.4 (or Lollipop, whenever AT&T releases it), this phone stays as it is. And after updating to 4.4.2, I'd go back to 4.3 if I could - better battery life.

And I'd need a reason to update - this thing does just fine on 4.4.2, and I have a few Lollipop themes if I absolutely must have a "new" looking phone (which I don't - my V551 looks like Windows XP).

thyde76

Dec 28, 2014
Visit site

Well, you guys has me seriously confused on whether to get the Note 3 or the G3. It sounds like both are great phones. I'm just going to have to go play with them to see which one I like better.

Thanks for all the info.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Well, you guys has me seriously confused on whether to get the Note 3 or the G3. It sounds like both are great phones. I'm just going to have to go play with them to see which one I like better.

Thanks for all the info.

They are both nice, but between the two I'd have recommended the Note 3. It just offers more as a device. Once you get used to having that S Pen you'll love it I think.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site

I think that's the deciding factor - the S-Pen. If you don't need it, the choice is more difficult, but if you even think you'll be using it, you will be.

Get an Otterbox Defender for it - it's too much phone to drop and break.

Spaceguy85

Jan 21, 2014
Visit site

I Bought mine the day that TMobile released them. It has been the very best phone I have ever owned, well, besides my Razor V3. But, the one thing I have to agree with all of you on is get an otterbox for it. It makes it bulkier, but, it does protect it very well. Mine has fallen from a second story roof, not a problem at all. But, recently, I was changing out the old otterbox for a new one. I set it down for just a minute out of the case, and wham, it fell on the concrete face down. Lucky I have the protection plan, and I got it replaced. I even tried a Galaxy J7, but was not impressed at all. My note 3 will be in service until, like my Razor V3, they no longer support it at all. It is a great phone, and still in high demand.