Becoming tired of big Android phones

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I am taking about overall size. Not just display. I thought that would be obvious. I have a phone with a 4.5 display. So I'm still standing by my original statement but compared to the abundance of phablets, those devices I listed are definitely a "nicer" size.

Posted via the Android Central App

The iPhones have fairly large bezels. It's definitely large for a 4.7" phone

oneflatwhite

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
I would really love small REAL Flagship, but without compromise like z5 compact, where they only get 720p instead of at least 1080p, and also less 1Gb of RAM. I mean why cant they just make the specs exactly as Z5 and have people to choose.

That said I'm also a G4 user until... it dies last week for no reason, just keep restarting endlessly, while the phone doing nothing on the table. Strangely enough a friend G4 suffer the exact same problem one month earlier. Since then I bought s6 edge plus for my large screen device and s6 edge as my main device.

Tbh I found no other 5.5inch phone that handles better than G4, it just perfectly designed, it balance so well, I use it one handed 90% of the time, the slight curve really helps more that I thought it would, the leather feels nice and give a decent grip, the only thing that bothers me is when typing its quite a stretch to get to letter "p" and number "0".

G Flex 2 actually handles better but the camera on G4 is much better and I love photography thats why I use G4 and s6 edge.

I really wish in 2016 that some manufacturer could come up with their "mini" flagship but with EXACT same specs as their bigger "real" flagship.

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I would really love small REAL Flagship, but without compromise like z5 compact, where they only get 720p instead of at least 1080p, and also less 1Gb of RAM.

It might be only 720P, but it's also just a 4.5" display. 319dpi isn't massively high, but it's a display that will still look quite good (and you save a ton in power usage). And while it has 'only' 2G of RAM, for a phone with a 720 display, 2G gives you plenty of headroom. You can stuff a lot of apps into 2G, espcially considering Sony's recent shift to fuss with Android less. Spec wise, other than the smaller display, you aren't really giving up much of anything in the Z5C.... really... if you want a small screen phone and have a problem with the Z5C's specs, you are never going to get something that satisfies you.

KennyC78

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I would really love small REAL Flagship, but without compromise like z5 compact, where they only get 720p instead of at least 1080p, and also less 1Gb of RAM. I mean why cant they just make the specs exactly as Z5 and have people to choose.

I think 720p is plenty for a phone with a screen size of 4.7" I think far too many people get too carried away by the numbers game that they are missing the plot. I have the Z3C and it looks amazing. I don't view the screen from 5cm (2 inches) away, so I don't notice the pixels. Initially I was concerned that the Z3C has 1Gb RAM lesser than the Z3, but it's largely forgotten right now since I've not had any issues at all.

I think the main thing is that only Sony makes a proper compact phone in the under 5" category with proper specs. All the other android manufacturers do provide sub 5" phones, but they are not as well promoted and the internals are watered down. I'll likely stick with a Z# Compact when it's time for me to upgrade but I'd like to see a LG G# Compact as an option (with 90% the same internals as the big brother).

oneflatwhite

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
It might be only 720P, but it's also just a 4.5" display. 319dpi isn't massively high, but it's a display that will still look quite good (and you save a ton in power usage). And while it has 'only' 2G of RAM, for a phone with a 720 display, 2G gives you plenty of headroom. You can stuff a lot of apps into 2G, espcially considering Sony's recent shift to fuss with Android less. Spec wise, other than the smaller display, you aren't really giving up much of anything in the Z5C.... really... if you want a small screen phone and have a problem with the Z5C's specs, you are never going to get something that satisfies you.

Z5C is 4.6" not 4.5" and its 323dpi. I know it looks good I never say it looks horrible but as I said, I love photography and having higher res screen makes it possible to zoom in even more in my pictures to spot the details, you have to view the exact same picture on different phone with different screen resolution to really get what I mean and the difference it makes.

Htc One M7 has 4.7" 1080p screen, so why cant sony make one? I think it has to do with marketing strategy so ppl who wants higher spec has to go Z5. I love everything about M7, except its camera, I still keep one myself.

I dont have problem with Z5C specs at all, people use their phone for different reason and I'm just saying it would be great if sony or some other manufacturer makes sub 5" phone with same spec as their real flagship above 5"

In here we dont have carrier subsidize phone, I pay full retail price for any phone, and I love to test new phones, I bought Z5 premium as well just to test its 4K screen, its great but not neccesary I think, QHD in 5.5" is more than enough and for 4.6-4.7 I'm hoping to get at least 1080p. Maybe its just me who expect too much or am I not.

Last edited:

murphcid

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
I agree with the OP completely. Anything larger than 5" in size is awkward for me to hold, and it does not fit comfortably on my gunbelt or in a pocket of my pants or shirt. The ideal size for me is 4.7 to 5.0". Anything over that just does not fit, and since I use a Samsung Galaxy TabS2 for reading (also an iPad mini), I don't read on my phone.

I picked up a LG G4 6 months ago which I like but knew it was beyond my size preference. I kept an open mind for a long time because bigger phones are trending and also because there isn't many (any) in the 4.7-5" range, at least not flagship quality or available on Verizon (like the Z5 Compact).

I convinced myself that the new size was fine but after 6 months I'm tired of it, it doesn't pocket as well, one handed use is clumsy at best, and generally gets in the way.

Right now the only "small" flagship phones out there are the Z5 Compact which I can't get or Apple products like the iPhone 5s. I really don't want to jump to iPhone, the interest isn't there, but I love the size.

I see so many iPhone 5s's out there it's incredible, you can't tell me there isn't a market for on handed phones anymore...is there any hope of Android manufacturers making a quality small phone again or am I doomed with Android?

mohit9206

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site
there are plenty of flagship level phones in the 5" range.
HTC M9, Samsung S6, Nexus 5X, Moto X, do some research and you will find them.

But am talking about small phones. 5 inch isn't small for me. Its huge. What are my options in the 4-4.3 inch range? There absolutely aren't any options other than iPhone 5S.

Of course I did since the market changed. Just like everything changes in life -- and you have to adjust to how things are. After that it becomes just as second nature as the smaller screens. I used to think "OMG a Note? No way that is huge!" then I tried one and was shocked on how easily I adjusted to it.

I am not saying you can't think that way -- I am just saying just because you think that we all had to sacrifice or give up something just to enjoy a bigger screen isn't true for everyone. Just trying to give you that other side of coin. Did I have to adjust? Sure. Do I feel like I am sacrificing or suffering due to it? No. It was simply an adjustment. Just like cars have changed, ISP speeds have changed, etc. etc.

Your analogy isn't correct. Yes cars changed but you don't have to hold a car in your hand. Also cars more or less are the same size they were 100 years ago.

I am confused... You say 4.5" is your limit, then you say that the 6/6s at 4.7" is a nice size?

Then you mention the OnePlus x and 5x,both of which are 5" and up? Even the z5c exceeds your 4.5" limit...

I know your post was for someone else but I'd just like to say my limit is 4.3 inches. Currently using a moto e 1st gen since last one year and its a bit too big for me but i can just about handle it. Now if i want another phone what are my options other than iPhone 5S?
Android being all about options certainty doesn't hold true in my case as there isn't any new 2015 android phone i can buy that is as small or smaller than my current phone. What are my options?

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Android being all about options certainty doesn't hold true in my case as there isn't any new 2015 android phone i can buy that is as small or smaller than my current phone. What are my options?

There won't be a response to this question because there is none...which was the point of this thread. I hear the "options" tag with Android all the time from those countering iPhone people, but the only options are the bigger units.

Lnin0

Dec 5, 2015
Visit site
Right now this seems to be an industry driven, self-fulfilling prophecy. If you take away the customer's choice and offer flagship phones in one flavor (large display) then sales will appear to back the idea that people 'want' large displays. Optimal display size is also very regional so it may take the industry a while to find a manufacturing sweet spot that works globally.

Hopefully it is not one size or another that dominates. It is becomes more common place for flagships to release in a standard and plus size. The latest S6, Nexus (to some degree), iPhone and Lumia have all offered a choice with their most recent flagship models. Hopefully enough people split on this issue so that it becomes the norm more than the exception to offer a choice.

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Right now this seems to be an industry driven, self-fulfilling prophecy. If you take away the customer's choice and offer flagship phones in one flavor (large display) then sales will appear to back the idea that people 'want' large displays.

Precisely, so when I get the argument that big phones are selling well then no kidding. What's even the point of that argument?

LeoRex

Retired Moderator
Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
This all didn't happen overnight. There was a period where both small and large phones were available. What happened? The large phones (back then we're talking 4.5 - 4.7" range) sold big. Much more than everyone expected. When the Note 2 and S3 dropped, there were jokes about how big the phones were.

But they sold tons of them ... and everyone stopped laughing.

OEMs pushed things a little bigger, and sold tons of them, bigger again, more sales. All the while, the smaller phones tailed off... There were plenty of choices, but fewer and fewer purchased them.

Apple, the last bastion of the tiny phone and a master at dictating to their customers what they should think, saw the writing on the wall, and did what they said they'd NEVER do; make a large screened phone. It was not a self-fulfilling prophesy. It was the market dictating the direction of mobile.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Your analogy isn't correct. Yes cars changed but you don't have to hold a car in your hand. Also cars more or less are the same size they were 100 years ago.

Maybe parking spaces are getting smaller then. :/

Posted via the Android Central App on the Moto X Pure Edition

Almeuit

Moderator Team Leader
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site

We can agree to disagree :). I am simply saying .. things change and people adapt. I don't see me adapting to a bigger phone as a handicap but I am also not in the camp of using a phone one handed -- even back in the day when using older / tiny phones of 3 to 3.5 screen size.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site

Vehicles in general have been creeping up in size even in the last 20-40 years. A current Civic is substantially larger than the Accord from 35 years ago. I did a few comparisons here for you.
uploadfromtaptalk1449503238994.png

Last edited:

GFxer

Dec 7, 2015
Visit site
I actually prefer the larger phones - much easier to read and work with. That being said, it is always good to have some nice choice.

Ujini

Dec 6, 2015
Visit site
That's why I'm still rocking the Galaxy s4. Perfect size for me and one handed operation. The 5.2 screen on the s5 and later is slightly too large for me to use.

I just hope my phone can last another year or two!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress