Moto g4 play or Nexus 5x? (or something else)

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
This is not for me, but it is for my mom. She currently has a 5" phone, but I don't know if I want her new phone to be a shock in size. I was considering the Moto G4, but I keep hearing about the overheating.

I'm leaning towards the g4 play because it seems like it would be okay. At the same time, Nexus 5x is better but she is someone that actually makes calls on her phone mostly, and speaker volume is something to consider, which I recall is on the low end. Oh, also, she will not install any software updates. In fact, she finds them to be annoying.

She is on T-Mobile, so a phone with Band 12 is important. She never uses WiFi calling, and she doesn't want a phone that is $400. She cares about the camera too.

I have been looking at phones here, and it's been hard to decide on something.

The LG's look nice, but I just know that she would hate having the buttons on the back. She's not a fan of used phones, she wants a new one.

It's been tricky. Any suggestions?

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm thinking of waiting for the G4 Play to come out, which I think it does next week.

That would be a good option! I was actually going to suggest an LG G3, but if she dislikes back buttons, then that's a no-go. What about a Samsung Galaxy S4? Good screen size, no back buttons, excellent camera, good audio.

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
That would be a good option! I was actually going to suggest an LG G3, but if she dislikes back buttons, then that's a no-go. What about a Samsung Galaxy S4? Good screen size, no back buttons, excellent camera, good audio.

Yeah, I just see confusion for her. The S4 is a great suggestion but she needs a phone with Band 12. I'm hoping the G4 will be the one for her.

Personally, it would be fun for me to try out if it had colors.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Yeah, I just see confusion for her. The S4 is a great suggestion but she needs a phone with Band 12. I'm hoping the G4 will be the one for her.

If by S4 you mean Galaxy S4, I'm not sure why anyone would want to buy a phone that is that old. Even though the specs are solid.

I would probably choose the Nexus 5X or one of the new Motos.

Now here is an off the wall suggestion -- My technophonbic 72 year old Mother LOVES her Windows phone!!! Why? Because there is only about 5 things she wants to do -- call, check voice mail, text, check email, check the weather. And one put 4 or 5 screen-wide live tiles on the home screen and bury every thing else. And 5" Windows Phones are DIRT CHEAP.

Hey, Don't laugh until you've tried it....

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
If by S4 you mean Galaxy S4, I'm not sure why anyone would want to buy a phone that is that old. Even though the specs are solid.

I would probably choose the Nexus 5X or one of the new Motos.

Now here is an off the wall suggestion -- My technophonbic 72 year old Mother LOVES her Windows phone!!! Why? Because there is only about 5 things she wants to do -- call, check voice mail, text, check email, check the weather. And one put 4 or 5 screen-wide live tiles on the home screen and bury every thing else. And 5" Windows Phones are DIRT CHEAP.

Hey, Don't laugh until you've tried it....
That's a good point.

The S4 would be great for my mom because she hates updates, and yep, I meant the Galaxy S4. I think Nexus or Motos are a safe bet, but she would hate all of the updates that Nexus rolls out every month. I just know it.

Thanks for the Windows phone suggestion. Windows phone is my first OS love, so I get where you are coming from. With her, I could but her friends are always signing her up for apps that usually aren't in the store there. Even though she's more like how your mom is, she does use the apps. I would feel bad setting her up.

My dad has a Windows Phone and since he doesn't care for apps, just Whatsapp, it's generally great for him.

At this point, I am banking on the G4 Play. If the overheating thing wasn't so common with the regular G4, I would have gladly ordered that for her today!

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
That's a good point.

The S4 would be great for my mom because she hates updates, and yep, I meant the Galaxy S4. I think Nexus or Motos are a safe bet, but she would hate all of the updates that Nexus rolls out every month. I just know it.

Thanks for the Windows phone suggestion....

At this point, I am banking on the G4 Play. If the overheating thing wasn't so common with the regular G4, I would have gladly ordered that for her today!

Wow, a tech person that doesn't freak out when I say Windows phone!!! I've used them all -- currently a Droid Turbo 2 is my daily driver -- it's a shame Microsoft bungled Windows Phone so bad because if it weren't for the App Gap I really do think it is in many respects a superior platform to Android and IOS -- Certainly on par with them....Honestly, Google Maps is about the only app that I would SERIOUSLY miss if I were to use Windows phone as a daily driver. But I must admit, Google has done a great job integrating their search and maps with Android. The more I use it, the more in many respects I like it better than IOS. Google Photos is also a REAL winner -- easy to use, economical, and very practical functionality.

As a Moto owner -- Moto sure isn't known for their plethora of updates. But when they do roll one out they are generally solid...

As far as overheating, I think overheating is usually equated to using the phone for 15 minutes or more at time -- browsing, reading lots of news apps, watching video, stuff like that. If all one is doing is just light phone use primarily just using it as a communication device I imagine overheating wouldn't be an issue for your Mother.

I honestly don't know much about Samsungs and Touchwhiz, as I have never owned one. The S4 is a nice phone -- my stepmother has one. Great camera, too!!!

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Wow, a tech person that doesn't freak out when I say Windows phone!!! I've used them all -- currently a Droid Turbo 2 is my daily driver -- it's a shame Microsoft bungled Windows Phone so bad because if it weren't for the App Gap I really do think it is in many respects a superior platform to Android and IOS -- Certainly on par with them....Honestly, Google Maps is about the only app that I would SERIOUSLY miss if I were to use Windows phone as a daily driver. But I must admit, Google has done a great job integrating their search and maps with Android. The more I use it, the more in many respects I like it better than IOS. Google Photos is also a REAL winner -- easy to use, economical, and very practical functionality.

As a Moto owner -- Moto sure isn't known for their plethora of updates. But when they do roll one out they are generally solid...

As far as overheating, I think overheating is usually equated to using the phone for 15 minutes or more at time -- browsing, reading lots of news apps, watching video, stuff like that. If all one is doing is just light phone use primarily just using it as a communication device I imagine overheating wouldn't be an issue for your Mother.

I honestly don't know much about Samsungs and Touchwhiz, as I have never owned one. The S4 is a nice phone -- my stepmother has one. Great camera, too!!!

I do agree with you on Microsoft dropping the ball. I have a Lumia that I follow Windows 10 Mobile on. You're right, Google Maps is really good.

That's good to know about the updates. Sounds like less is more in this case.

I see about the overheating. Do you know if that applies to phone calls too? She does a LOT of that, for a long period of time, like at least 25 to 30 minutes. She's more of a Whatsapp person otherwise. A lot of people send her videos and such over that and she just watches all of that. I hope that is the case here, that would be cool.

If it is, I wouldn't be opposed to getting her the G4 and if she thinks that is too big (I can't guess how she would feel about the size), I can return the phone and get the G4 Play.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
Just looked up the specs on the G4 and G4 Play. I know that my Mother is currently on a Lumia 630 or 635 -- can't remember I which -- but I know the screen size is 4.5". From talking to her, she says she loves the size and doesn't want a bigger phone. But I suspect she would like a 5" but a 5.5" would be too big for her liking.

Although strange as it sounds, she likes to store her phone in her Bra -- yes you heard that right in her Bra and she would be afraid that a heavier phone would drop out or stick out if you know what I mean.....

My Droid Turbo 2 is 5.4" -- and I think that is a tad big. Prior to my Droid I had an Iphone 5 which was 4". For me the Iphone 6/7 4.7" screen would be ideal -- and most Android 5" or 5.1" phones are about that size. I am kind of disappointed that all the new mid range to high end Motos are 5.5" meaning even larger than the DT2.

Heck both the G4 and G4 Play are cheap enough that even if the heat did damage it -- which I doubt it would -- so long as it lasts a year, which is usually what they are warranted for, who cares? If you can replace for less than $200...And I think inexpensive phones are only going to get better as tech trickles down....

Perhaps you may want to go find a G4 forum. But it has been my experience that only folks with problems tend to post in any smartphone forums. And all phones have problems -- even Iphones which I do feel in many instances are the gold standard (but expensive).

Here is a link to the Moto forums. I imagine there is one hear on AC somewhere, too. As a word of caution on the Moto forums, I have had ZERO problems with my Droid Turbo 2 (Owned since December 2015) but if one were to read the Moto Lenovo DT2 forum one would think it was the biggest POS ever.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-G4-Moto-G4-Plus-Moto-G4/bd-p/MotoG4thGen

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
I will check it out, thank you.
Sadly, there's only one english (YouTube) review on the G4 Play. I agree with you on it being easily replaceable. I give it props to that. I hope that there will be more.

Yeah personally, 5.5" is too big for me.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
I do agree with you on Microsoft dropping the ball. I have a Lumia that I follow Windows 10 Mobile on. You're right, Google Maps is really good.

That's good to know about the updates. Sounds like less is more in this case.

I see about the overheating. Do you know if that applies to phone calls too? She does a LOT of that, for a long period of time, like at least 25 to 30 minutes. She's more of a Whatsapp person otherwise. A lot of people send her videos and such over that and she just watches all of that. I hope that is the case here, that would be cool.

If it is, I wouldn't be opposed to getting her the G4 and if she thinks that is too big (I can't guess how she would feel about the size), I can return the phone and get the G4 Play.

I love WP! I've always wanted one. I think I will eventually buy one in the future when I feel like I can leave Android... But I feel like I can't right now! So hard! Lool.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site

Ah yes, I see what you're saying. Yeah, a G4 is pretty cool too! :)

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Apparently, my mom's coworker has one of the LG phones and she's okay with the button on the back. Lol. She liked his phone.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
I never fooled with the LG, but if she likes it....I imagine the camera is better. Never had a phone with the button the back either, so not sure how I would like that either. In regards to the G4, according to the Moto forums I would certainly stay away from the G4 Plus.

With mothers, and folks that aren't totally all in with tech, definitely better to go with something they have tried and even better if a trusted associate also has one. For not so tech oriented, "buy in" is the key. I have found that I can make just about everything work. I am amazed at some of the junk not so tech oriented folks will embrace just because a friend or companion has it....

libra89

Jan 29, 2016
Visit site
Haha yeah, it is really interesting how that goes.
She can't seem to find which phone, but we'll figure it out. The g5 is not in the running though for now.

These are the same friends who download apps for her. Lol