Prediction -- Google Buys HTC

seventeenseconds

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Just a thought... if the Pixel is successful, Google buys HTC. Yes, I realize they bought and sold Motorola, but this feels different. Moto was kept as a separate company as Google didn't want to directly compete with partners at the time and said as much. With Pixel now they're doing just that exactly how Microsoft competes with OEM's using the Surface line. HTC would be a relative bargain and would become Google's in-house manufacturing for phones, Chromecast and all other IOT devices. HTC clearly has manufacturing prowess. It would also give Google big inroads to VR with HTC's Vive experience and partnerships.

It just makes Sense? :)

seventeenseconds

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I don't think google will buy htc because why buy htc when you can just have them make the product for you.

That's totally a valid point, but I think Google might see a larger value proposition given HTC's current financials and that could make them very attractive. It's all about control and Google seems to like that. In house manufacturing being leveraged for phones and all other devices like Nest would give them direct control over the whole process, but who knows.

Last edited:

aximtreo

Nov 12, 2009
Visit site
Nah, Microsoft is going to buy HTC and re-introduce the M8 Windows phone to the market. Sorry, I just had to say something derogatory about Microsoft. :)

Inders99

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Nah...doesn't make sense. Why take on infrastructure, facilities, 1000s of personnel and a human resources drag, debt, restructuring, et al. No way, sub it out, let them do the leg work, stay focused on your core competency.

Morty2264

Ambassador
Mar 6, 2012
Visit site
"It just makes Sense" - love it!

You know, I think Google snagging HTC would be pretty awesome. I think that'd be a good combo.

pbike908

Mar 16, 2015
Visit site
It would make little sense for Google to purchase HTC. They already bought and sold Motorola. And there is no shortage of folks willing to build a phone to Google specs. Heck, Apple doesn't even build their phones...