Pixel Phones. Too Many Compromises.

maxmin

Apr 12, 2017
Visit site
I have been using a Pixel 5a I received as a promotional item for a couple months. I have to say I am pretty disappointed in the phone and the Pixel implementation of Android 13 overall. I guess I thought would share my experiences if somebody is considering a Pixel. I am coming from a One Plus 7t which overall worked pretty well.

- Pixel phones are very buggy. I experience new bugs all the time. I report the bugs using the Feedback system for both the phone and the Google apps. I check the box to contact me for follow up. I have never heard a word from anybody at Google. With OnePlus when I submitted feedback I always heard from someone.

- I use dual SIMs to have personal and work phone numbers on my one phone. Pixel's implementation of dual SIMs is very poor. It's like the software designers responsible for this part of the OS don't even use a dual SIM phone for testing. Some examples:

- The phone app is a joke for dual SIMs. There are many issues but the most egregious one is that you can't even assign a separate ringtone for the different phone numbers! This would be a most basic requirement.
- The Messages app has all kinds of problems. MMS messages like group texts often lock up the entire conversation. I have to restart the phone to get the group conversation to work again. And RCS doesn't work at all with dual SIMs. Strangely, this same Messages app worked perfectly fine with dual SIMs on the OP 7t.

- Cell network issues. I get erratic cell network internet failures when I go off Wi-Fi. Apparently, there is an issue with using some alternate cell companies (MVNO). So I find out Google has a list of "Approved Providers". Who knew??

And my last rant,,, Pixel phones won't Screencast to FireSticks at all. Only to Chromecast devices. Don't know about Roku since I don't have that.

Perhaps I am a strange case. I use dual SIMs; I use MVNO providers (my service with 2 lines is about 25% what 2 lines would be from T-Mobile or ATT). But I didn't have these issues with the OnePlus. I would have stayed with OnePlus but they have gone seriously downhill the last few years. But the locking of Screencast only to Chromecast is unforgivable. Perhaps Samsung is my best bet...

I just wish Google would listen...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221029-090719.png
    Screenshot_20221029-090719.png
    288.5 KB · Views: 48

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Google has never really focused on dual SIM devices -- I would agree that there are probably better devices out there for dual SIM function, from manufacturers who have dealt with this for longer (like Samsung).

The Fire Stick incompatibility has to do with lack of Miracast support on Pixels. I'm not sure if the decision to remove Miracast support was a business decision (to focus on Chromecast) or a technical decision.

Sorry that Pixels aren't for you -- as J Dubbs mentioned above, you just need to find one that's best for your own use case scenarios. I probably don't have to remind anyone here that I've had a great experience with my Pixels, and it keeps getting better.:)

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
"The Fire Stick incompatibility has to do with lack of Miracast support on Pixels. I'm not sure if the decision to remove Miracast support was a business decision (to focus on Chromecast) or a technical decision."

I have a screen cast option in my quick settings. Does this not work like Miracast?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
"The Fire Stick incompatibility has to do with lack of Miracast support on Pixels. I'm not sure if the decision to remove Miracast support was a business decision (to focus on Chromecast) or a technical decision."

I have a screen cast option in my quick settings. Does this not work like Miracast?

I'm pretty sure that just casts to Chromecast. If you have a TV or dongle that supports only Miracast, give it a try, but I don't think it'll work. (I don't have any Miracast devices, so I can't test it -- but from all that I've read, Pixels don't support it.)

Or if you're asking if screen casting to Chromecast works just like Miracast, then yes it does -- but if the OP doesn't have a Chromecast (or a TV that has Chromecast built-in), then it won't help.

SyCoREAPER

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
I've grown to dislike the Pixel lineup. Had one from the Nexus days up until a Pixel 3 XL and had enough. The rebrand wasnt working for me.

The only features I miss are unlockable bootloader's and call screening, that is it.

Reactions: fuzzylumpkin

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
The lack of Miracast support is fully intentional on Google's part, and is not a technical limitation. It will likely not change anytime soon.