Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default I can't believe NO Chromecast Extension for Nexus 7 Chrome

I just received my Chromecast from Best Buy. I spent an hour trying to figure out how to view my Chrome tab on my older Nexus 7. I found out that it required a Chrome extension. When I tried to get it from the Chrome Web Store, I found out that it wasn't supported on Android Chrome!! How stupid. One reason I got the device was to view the tab on TV. How could Google not support Android devices?? Also, I tried to use my wife's Ipad with the Chrome browser installed and find out that it is not supported yet!! So much for using any computer, phone or tablet.
    realestatedan likes this.

Default Re: I can't believe NO Chromecast Extension for Nexus 7 Chrome

Patience, grasshopper, patience.

Seriously, there are still some things that need to be worked out and new features to be released, this is just the tip of the iceberg. You're screaming like you got ripped off. Even if you didn't get the free 3 months of Netflix, this is very nice piece of technology for $35

Quote Originally Posted by grafx1 View Post
    I just received my Chromecast from Best Buy. I spent an hour trying to figure out how to view my Chrome tab on my older Nexus 7. I found out that it required a Chrome extension. When I tried to get it from the Chrome Web Store, I found out that it wasn't supported on Android Chrome!! How stupid. One reason I got the device was to view the tab on TV. How could Google not support Android devices?? Also, I tried to use my wife's Ipad with the Chrome browser installed and find out that it is not supported yet!! So much for using any computer, phone or tablet.

Casting chrome tabs is a beta feature. It also requires a good amount of cpu power, for example on chrome os devices it's only supported currently on the pixel.

On your android devices you can use the youtube, netflix, movies and tv app, and play music apps to cast to your chromecast device. There is more app support on the way. On your wife's ipod, try the netflix app.I know Jerry confirmed that the ios netflix app supported it: https://plus.google.com/114721707153...ts/59HFHoem3Rg
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

You are right. It only required accessing the Netflix app on the iPad to get it working.

Is that really true? I've also spent time on this. I bought the Chromecast only to display web streaming, don`t care about apps like Netflix etc. My LG SmartTV has a browser but it does not work very well on streaming so I thought Chromecast is the solution. Was easy to put on my old Win laptop, but that too slow so I bought a new tablet (Nexus 7 32G). Just got it last week so not even old and Google's own product. Why would that not work???? Incredible! Anyone knows when it will?

This is a huge miss understanding on your part. Google never said you could stream from the chrome browser on the tablet. It has always been the Play Music, Play TV & Movies, Youtube, and Netflix on the tablet or via Chrome on the desktop by casting a Tab to the Chromecast.

Once google officially releases the final SDK for the Chromecast we will see more apps. Allot are ready to release just waiting for the final word from Google.
    Craig
    Phone :: BB880>>BB9000>>Captivate>>Galaxy Note1
    Tablet :: B&N Nook >> Xoom >> Nexus 10
    Game/Mini-PC :: Zealz G802 >> Ouya
    amrith777 likes this.

I ran a successful experiment tonight, trying to simulate casting tabs from my phone to my TV. I used a remote desktop app on my phone to connect to a desktop computer that can cast chrome tabs, then simply used my phone to remotely cast the tabs. Navigation is fairly slow, but it does work. The remote app tried this with (2X Client RDP), displayed the tab on the TV using the phone's resolution instead of the desktop's resolution. There might be a setting to change this, and other remote desktop apps might work better, but this one was free so I tried it first. I'll mess with it some more when I'm not so tired.

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

Some people were under the assumptions tap casting would work on phones and tablets. They specifically said during the announcement it worked only off a computer.

AT&T HTC One MoDaCo.Switch Beta 8
    Nexus 7 2013 Unlocked Root + TWRP
    Chromecast
    amrith777 likes this.

As soon as the google moves the apk off of beta there are going to be tons of apps hitting the Play Store. There are proof of concept videos on YouTube showing it can be done. We just have to be patient.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Devlyn16 View Post
    As soon as the google moves the apk off of beta there are going to be tons of apps hitting the Play Store. There are proof of concept videos on YouTube showing it can be done. We just have to be patient.
    Exactly. Lots of neat stuff still to come.

AT&T HTC One MoDaCo.Switch Beta 8
    Nexus 7 2013 Unlocked Root + TWRP
    Chromecast

Yep. Try apple TV + air play from any mac device. Does exactly what you are looking for. Eventually this will as well.

Global Posts
    535 Global Posts

They clearly stated the chrome tab casting was only a function of the chrome browser on a PC. Some obviously didn't catch it.

It just came out. Give it time. We will see several more apps supporting it's functionality. I had a beta app that would play lock gallery content and drop box. As well as one other I forget.

Sent from my HTC One

They shouldn't have started selling the device until it was ready.
    Thanked by:
    pietro4 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by fiji19 View Post
    I ran a successful experiment tonight, trying to simulate casting tabs from my phone to my TV. I used a remote desktop app on my phone to connect to a desktop computer that can cast chrome tabs, then simply used my phone to remotely cast the tabs. Navigation is fairly slow, but it does work. The remote app tried this with (2X Client RDP), displayed the tab on the TV using the phone's resolution instead of the desktop's resolution. There might be a setting to change this, and other remote desktop apps might work better, but this one was free so I tried it first. I'll mess with it some more when I'm not so tired.
    You should try the app called Splashtop 2. It is a really great RDP app and is pretty good with responsiveness as long as you don't go crazy with the resolution you are streaming back to your portable device. I use it on my tab and my phone, and have use it on Mini-PC's. As long as you are on your local network Splashtop 2 is free to use as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hypokondriak View Post
    And how was it not ready. It does everything they said it would.
    Craig

It does what was promised very well. Certainly worth the $35. If it doesn't do what you think it should, that isn't Google's problem.

As has been said, tab casting requires a lot of processing power. It works on my 3-4 year old laptop with a Core i5 processor, but the laptop overheats and shuts down after about 45 minutes of streaming video. I doubt tab casting in its current form will ever work on a phone or tablet, as the battery and CPU would be taxed very heavily, and the device would likely overheat in minutes.

The Chromecast will be able to do more once the SDK is made public, but there will always be limitations. That's a good thing, because when a device tries to do everything, it usually does nothing very well.

I guess "very well" can be said by anyone that doesn't own or hasn't used Airplay. I am not in love with any of these companies, but I can Airplay Mirror my entire desktop dual path wireless (laptop -> wireless -> router -> wireless -> chromecast) significantly better than I can cast a single Chrome tab single path wireless (8x32 desktop -> wired -> router -> wireless -> chromecast). With the new OSX you can actually dual monitor using Airplay. You can't even dream of that with tab casting because it is a resource hog. Very inefficient.

So yeah if it doesn't do what I think it should then that's definitely Google's problem because the competition certainly can do it. And before you make this more about me, I switched to Google from the Apple ecosystem because I felt it shows a lot more promise. However this device was rushed to market. Beta SDK, features that don't work well with BS copout "experimental" tags. I guess Apple should have called their horrible maps product "experimental" at the start, eh?

I hope you understand that your argument here is like complaining that a toyota prius can't go offroad becuase your Hummer can.

First of all Airplay isn't the Apple TV it is a Apple proprietary standard. Similar to Intel's WiDi Technology which probably does much of what airplay does in your arugment. Miracast is what was suppose to allow Android home screen streaming to a display similar to WiDi but I have heard several varied feelings about that.

Though casting a chrome tab isn't a minor task on a computer I don't think it is that intensive. You can certainly multitask if you have a decent rig. I know i have a few times that i have used it.

Last the CC as Google put it out was never about really using local content. It was really about using your portable device to tell the CC to go get content what you want to watch from the internet and display it on the TV. It does that well.

To say a product isn't ready because you bought another piece of tech for almost 3 times the price, and the CC can't match one of it's propriety features is ridiculous. You also have to remember that the SDK isn't a requirement. I personally think the CC is worth it at this price point just for what it does now. The extra apps that are to come are just icing on the cake.
    Craig

>>Exactly. Lots of neat stuff still to come.<<

OK.... Then my purchase of this is "still to come." ;-)

That is a fine way to look at it. There are allot of people that have commented on the CC that probably shouldn't have gotten it in the first place. I hate it when people suggest something should be purchased on what is going to happen in the future. It has to do what you want it to do when you buy it otherwise what you really want may never come.
    Craig

I'm still upset that the Chromcast doesn't play PS3 Blu-Ray games. My Playstation can do this, Netfliux , Youtube, it is backward compatable to PS2 games and only cost me ~$600 6 years ago.
    I think your skills are improving.
    Moto X
    Nexus10 2012
    2 Nexus 7 2013s [My Children's]
    Craig King likes this.

I don't think your Prius example is at all what I'm trying to convey here because it's obvious to me a Prius doesn't compare to a Hummer because it doesn't have a 4WD button. The Chromecast does indeed have that 4WD button though, and that's the tab casting extension in Chrome. Judging by the slew of people having issues with it on this forum and others, it clearly isn't a 4WD button that works very well. So I would agree I'm comparing a cheaper car to a Hummer, but find me a 4WD car that doesn't 4WD very well and replace the Prius with that and I think we'll agree.

As for whether or not this is Google intent for the device or not I can not question you there as I wasn't there when they wrote their requirements. It certainly seems like it's a feature they intend to use because the button would have never existed without a requirement being written. It just isn't very good.

Additionally, the box for the thing has a Chrome logo on the back right next to YouTube, Netflix, and Google Play! Yeah shame on me for criticizing Google here. I'm the stupid consumer that's expecting the device to do things that it was obviously never intended to do.

Just to clarify the text on the back of the box is "Send Video or anything on the web to your TV from your smartphone, tablet or laptop." This is under a Chrome, Youtube, Netflix, Google Play Logo.

On the front it says "The easiest way to watch online video on your TV"

Neither of those say anything about trying to replicate Airplay or anything other then then playback of internet based content. They simply talk about providing a path to get content to the TV.

The analogy is perfectly valid because I can certainly admit the CC isn't even in the same class of functionality as the Apple TV. Now a Google TV device would probably be a better and more valid comparison. I am sorry that you can't see that.
    Last edited by Craig King; 09-13-2013 at 09:18 AM.
    Craig
    Thanked by:
    mcm180 

ROM
    Viper

Quote Originally Posted by Craig King View Post
    That is a fine way to look at it. There are allot of people that have commented on the CC that probably shouldn't have gotten it in the first place. I hate it when people suggest something should be purchased on what is going to happen in the future. It has to do what you want it to do when you buy it otherwise what you really want may never come.
    No you should never buy on a promise. If it doesn't do what you want now, don't buy it or return it.

Also ppl comparing this to the apple TV is kind of stupid as well. You can have 3 cc and 9 months of Netflix, or you can have as Apple tv(assuming you already bought the over priced mac). The application TV is also on its 3rd generation I believe, which makes it a little unfair comparison to a product that has been out a month. In a few months you can make that comparison.

That being said, the cc does what it does better than any other device. Especially YouTube. I really can't wait for more apps to be put on this thing.
    Galaxy S3(unlocked on whatever I feel like flashing) ---- Asus Tf300(unlocked on CROMI)
    Htc Rezound(s-off on ViperRez)

Lots of stuff about Airplay
    Airplay also has minimum hardware requirements. I have a 2010 i7 MacBook Pro that Apple blocks from Airplay Mirroring. On the other hand, I can ChromeCast a Chrome tab just fine.

ETA: Airplay Mirroring works better because it relies on hardware H.264 encoding. So no, CC is not less efficient, it just doesn't have access to a hardware H.264 encoder.
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast