How do I stream personal videos via Chromecast?

AvalancheRyder

Jul 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

I just received my Chromecast and don't see how I can stream personal videos using the device. I have tried this on the following devices:

Asus Transformer Pad Infinity - Rooted and running CyanogenMod Version 10.1.2-tf700t
Samsung Galaxy Note 2 (Verizon) - Rooted and running CyanogenMod Version 10.1-20130723-NIGHTLY-i605

I have added personal videos to the device by hooking them up to my PC via USB, and dragging and dropping video files into the "Movies" folder in the root of storage. I've done some research and it sounds like when I open Google Play Movies and TV and access the overflow menu, I should see an option for personal videos. Instead, I only see the following options on both devices:

Refresh
Settings
Help
Contact us
Send feedback

Am I missing something or has the functionality to view personal videos in Google Play Movies and TV been removed? I am able to view my personal videos using other Android video player applications. I know that prior to rooting the Transformer Pad Infinity I was able to access personal videos in Google Play Movies too. That may have been a prior version of the Google Play software though. I just rooted and installed CyanogenMod within the last couple of weeks.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know. I'd appreciate any help. Streaming personal videos is the only reason I purchased Chromecast in the first place.

Thank you!

vansmack

Sep 12, 2010
Visit site
Streaming personal videos is the only reason I purchased Chromecast in the first place.

Have you tried streaming them from your PC using the Google Cast Extension in a Chrome browser?

Just drag and drop the file in an open tab and click the Cast button. The resources of most PCs are stronger than most mobile devices and will probably give you better playback performance anyway. I can stream 1080p MP4 movies with few hiccups.

chickweedblur

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My results as well. It's easy as can be to drop vids into the browser and they start playing almost immediately but there are 2 problems. First, unless they're very high res they play in a comically small box in the middle of the screen. Anything you've done in Handbrake or whatever that would normally look great sent to an Apple TV for example looks bad - even when you play with the Chromecast setup or stretch on the tv. Second, if you pick a high-res file like an .MKV, it's choppy. HBO Go is choppy as well. Part of the problem I think is the requirement for the PC to be wifi which I assume both downloads and streams over wifi.

I'm sure it will get better with app support, that's really what's needed. It's not much more than an interesting novelty since almost everything that works well needs to be sourced directly from a PC which, for many people, will not be in the same room unless it's laptop.

fabiosan

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Check out the article in the frontpage. Some guy has developed an app that streams content from your gallery using the chromecast. Should be out soon...

J HighNote

Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
I've tried casting to my chromecast on two different computers, a VERY ancient laptop and decent desktop. No choppiness when casting from desktop, it's as good as cable quality! But on the laptop, it was rebuffering a lot during video with a lot of action. I did get it to improve by going under the options on the cast icon and choosing a lower resolution before casting.

qortuba

Apr 30, 2012
Visit site
Im using Avia Media Player and Bought the ChromeCast extension for 2.99$ and so far its working smoothly for me with all my mp4 media