Problem with picture size

AllisonWi

Nov 2, 2013
Visit site
I have only used google chrome with Netflix and YouTube and overall am very happy with the purchase. My problem is that the picture is too big for the tv screen (Vizio HDTV 1080p). I don't know how else to put it. The picture quality is fine but it is obvious that parts of it are "cut off." This is the case whether I cast from my android phone, kindle, or iPad 2. Any ideas?

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Check your TV settings. Some TVs allow the picture to be ”zoomed” so if an video was letterboxed it would fill the screen without the black bars.

AaronTV

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I've noticed this when casting YouTube. Most of the videos just seem slightly zoomed. I haven't noticed this when casting Netflix.

I'm not sure if this is the same issue the OP is seeing, but YouTube definitely doesn't fit the screen quite right.

Posted via Android Central App

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
It is your TV. Many TVs will overscan the input by about 5% by default. On my Samsung TV, I have to go into the Menu to change the screen size. I forgot what was the exact name of it.. Fit, Full, or something. You could try to dig into your TV's menu to see if you could find something similar.

kzoojason76

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
If it was my TV, wouldn't it be happening with Netflix and Hulu also?? The screen size is only an issue (for me at least) when I'm tab casting from a PC or Mac.

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
If it was my TV, wouldn't it be happening with Netflix and Hulu also?? The screen size is only an issue (for me at least) when I'm tab casting from a PC or Mac.

It has to do with the resolution of the HDMI input. For Netflix and Hulu, the signal from the chromecast would be coming in at 1080p. The TV would know that it is from a HDTV receiver or Bluray player, so it will go to full mode. With the tab cast, chromecast will output the resolution of your computer output, so the TV will go with the default overscan for the PC connection.

kzoojason76

Feb 3, 2011
Visit site
It has to do with the resolution of the HDMI input. For Netflix and Hulu, the signal from the chromecast would be coming in at 1080p. The TV would know that it is from a HDTV receiver or Bluray player, so it will go to full mode. With the tab cast, chromecast will output the resolution of your computer output, so the TV will go with the default overscan for the PC connection.

Thank you!! That makes a lot more sense. I'll have to see if there are any settings on the TV that I can adjust.

AaronTV

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
I discovered what was causing my tabs and YouTube to appear slightly zoomed. My TV 's picture size had been set to 16:9 and needed to be set to "screen fit." Now everything appears to fit properly, regardless of source. This is on a Samsung btw.

Posted with Nexus 5 via Android Central App

lostchild

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
I discovered what was causing my tabs and YouTube to appear slightly zoomed. My TV 's picture size had been set to 16:9 and needed to be set to "screen fit." Now everything appears to fit properly, regardless of source. This is on a Samsung btw.

Posted with Nexus 5 via Android Central App

Yes, I think that was the name (Screen Fit) I was trying to remember. It was the same for my Samsung TV; it was set to 16:9 and I had to change it when I cast the tab.

JIMV

Apr 21, 2011
Visit site
My TV (LG) automatically sizes signals coming over the Satellite service BUT, I have to size all signals that originate on the internet. The TV has a setting with 4 choices and is very easy to do on the fly with two clicks of the remote.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa