Chromecast keeps crashing Chrome on laptop....

rickjs

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Stumped. Been using it since it was first released without any problems. A week or so ago it started constantly crashing Chrome. Nothing else on the system crashes. Chromecast is still connected but won't work since Chrome has crashed and need to reboot. I've done everything I can think of including a factory reset and problem is not solved.

Thought about uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome but that's another issue. When I try, I keep getting a message that it can't be done because Chrome windows are open. I don't have any open windows. I've even tried to stop the Chrome process. No luck.

Any thoughts?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Are you talking about the Chrome browser on your desktop? What happens if you remove all extensions from your Chrome browser, including the Google Cast extension--then reinstall only the Google Cast extension? Maybe some other extension is conflicting with Google Cast and causing a crash.

Does casting work from Android apps like YouTube?

rickjs

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Yes. Browser on desktop. I was finally able to get Chrome to allow me to uninstall and reinstall. Since then it has not crashed but it hasn't been very long to see if it is now stable.

rickjs

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Nope. Still doing it. Went over 6 hours straight without a hitch and thought it solved. Now doing it every minute or two. For what it is worth, I'm streaming an internet radio station. Have done the same station for years and for a long time with the Chromecast and never a problem until a week ago or so.

I even switched Chromecasts and substituted the one from the bedroom. Doing exact same thing.

I remain, stumped.

WakaFlaka

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Having the same issue. When trying to cast video within a tab it will play for a bit, the video on the TV will freeze, then chrome will become unresponsive. Only a reboot will allow me to kill the Chrome process. I've tried both the latest stable and beta versions of Chrome with the same results.

rickjs

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Very frustrating. No particular pattern to it. Yesterday I streamed music all day long without a hitch. This morning it was only on for about one minute when it dropped out and froze Chrome forcing a reboot. Makes it difficult to troubleshoot. I am guessing it might have something to do with a momentary fluctuation in the internet feed but, if so, I don't know why it has suddenly developed such a low tolerance.

WakaFlaka

Oct 20, 2014
Visit site
Apparently this is happening to a lot of folks. I can't post links, but the product forums at Google have a lot of open threads about this.

productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/chromecast/UY1ddeo5-2c
productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chromecast/CFeAGxAySig

What worked for me and was suggested in one of the threads was to use the latest beta version of Chrome and use the latest stable version of the Chromecast extension.

rickjs

May 5, 2010
Visit site
Here is a temporary fix (supposedly). Solely for streaming music, I did not need to do this. Going into options and changing to 480P solved the problem. While that is less than an ideal solution, it doesn't degrade streaming music. Anyway, per Google:

Hey Everyone,

I just posted indicating that we've now updated the Google Cast (Beta) extension, and plan to update the stable extension tomorrow morning. The text of the new post, created to save users from reading 5 pages here, is below. I really appreciate all the reports here, and the many of you who helped validate the experimental fix. If I can ask one more favor - it'd be really great if those of you affected by this issue can confirm that running Chrome 39 + the latest Google Cast (Beta) extension, version 14.1027.0.1, solves the problem. Once you have that version, there's no need to tweak a DSCP setting, we simply disabled that setting for now.

Thanks again for all your help, and sorry for the inconvenience!

---

Thanks for all the feedback about tab casting issues with Chrome 38 on Windows 7, and to the generous efforts of forum users in trying out an experimental extension that we used to confirm the problem on affected systems. We've now published an updated version of the Google Cast extension which allows you to work around the problem. The following steps are required at this time:

1. Install Chrome 39 (or later). Unfortunately, it is not possible for us to update Chrome 38 at this point in time; however, Chrome 39 already has improvements that allow us to work around this issue from an extension level. In late November, Chrome 39 will be the default release distributed to all users of Chrome. In the meantime, there are two ways that you can use Chrome 39:
Install Google Chrome Beta. This will update your main Chrome install, and will put you on the beta channel until you decide to switch back. This means you'll get updates and fixes sooner, but the beta channel can be less stable than the default install of Chrome.
Install Google Chrome Canary. This runs alongside your regular Chrome install, so you can use this temporarily until Chrome 39 is deployed to all users. Canary is updated very often, however, and is generally not stable enough to use as your primary browser.
2. Update to the latest Google Cast extension. As of 10/27 @ 10pm Pacific, we've just published a new version of the extension, 14.1027.0.1, for users on our beta channel. This will roll out to all users starting tomorrow morning, once we confirm that it does workaround the issue as expected. To force an update of the extension, go to chrome://extensions, and if you see an older version number, check "Developer Mode'", and then click the button that says "Update Extensions Now".

In addition to solving the issue where casting freezes after ~5 minutes, this can also address an issue that a much smaller number of users encountered where video just stops updating a few seconds after casting begins.

For the technically curious, the root cause of this issue is that we enabled the use of DSCP to enable prioritization of tab casting traffic (so that other traffic on your Wi-Fi network has less of an impact on the steady video stream needed for smooth video). While statistics showed that this worked well, on a small but meaningful percentage of Windows 7 based systems, this would cause network level errors that would result in Chrome freezing. Users on Windows 8, 8.1, Mac OS, and Chrome OS were not affected, and most Windows 7 based systems were also fine. For now, we've disabled DSCP; in a future update, we'll turn it back on for systems where we know it's safe, and where we expect it will improve the mirroring experience.

On behalf of the team, I apologize for any inconvenience that this has caused, especially since the workaround above isn't trivial. I'd also really like to thank the many of you on the forums and community that helped us in getting a workaround. out for this issue.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty