"This setting is enforced by your administrator." toast message appeared on a PERSONAL phone.

Jackybro

Jan 10, 2023
Visit site
"This setting is enforced by your administrator." toast message appeared on a PERSONAL phone.

NOTE: This is a repost. My prior thread got nuked and I got hit with a ban for "spamming", but according to B. Diddy, this was likely a miscommunication. So I'm asking this here once more.

On an Android 13 Samsung phone of mine. One that:

• Doesn't have any Google account except for my personal one logged on it before.
• Doesn't have any work profile set up.
• Doesn't have any device admin permissions given to any app.

However, after upgrading my Google Chrome to Version 108.0.5359.128, and upon first boot up of the app right after the upgrade... a "This setting is enforced by your administrator." toast message appeared at the bottom.

I've also checked chrome://policy (no policies listed) and chrome://management (my browser is not managed). I've also not been able to reproduce the message when I tried.

I would like to chalk this down as a bug, but it's a concerning message to see nonetheless. Would like to know if there's anything more sinister happening, like if my phone is being secretly monitored by an admin that I don't know about? I've given a quick scan with Malwarebytes, Google Play Protect, and Samsung's own built in security scan. All turned out clean.

Also, prior to my original thread by nuked, B. Diddy and Mustang both suggested that I uninstall Malwarebytes. Uninstalling or even reinstalling it did not reproduce the toast message.

Would like to hear some thoughts about this, thanks.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: "This setting is enforced by your administrator." toast message appeared on a PERSONAL phone.

Glad we got that sorted out.

It sure sounds like a bug. Did you buy this phone brand new from Samsung or a major carrier, or was it used/refurbished/resold?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Re: "This setting is enforced by your administrator." toast message appeared on a PERSONAL phone.

It's hard to comment on it further, sorry. I'll keep an eye out for that kind of behavior on my devices.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

Have you tried Nicecatch from Good Lock? I dunno if it gives info about about toast notifications, but it's worth a look.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Toast Source is an app in the Play Store that can tell you what's responsible for a toast notification, but in this case, I'm guessing it's either Chrome or Android System.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site

Sometimes when you have a app such as Malwarebytes activated in Device admin you granting it a good amount of privilege on your phone so even when you deactivate it might take a restart to recognize a change.
Me personally wouldn't have that app installed just no need for it.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site

Toast Source is an app in the Play Store that can tell you what's responsible for a toast notification, but in this case, I'm guessing it's either Chrome or Android System.

Probably. My advice would be to download that or Nicecatch to verify it is one of those, and if it is to just ignore it.

Ignoring them is what I do with almost all toast notifications lol.

Jackybro

Jan 10, 2023
Visit site

Aight, thanks all for your comments! I've learned a lot. They have been very resourceful!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Abdul Ali