I'm now enjoying Alexa more than Google Home

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
So I've had two Google Homes since they came out and really have been enjoying them. Have multiple WEMO plugs to control lights in the house. But last month I bought an Echo Dot to play with, I figure $50 wasn't bad to play with the Dot. Now I am finding I am using my Echo Dot more than GH and also enjoying it more as well. I might now even buy the full echo tower.

Calendar and Lists are a BIG advantage on Alexa. I have it hooked up to my Microsoft calendar, and it will also hook up to a Google Calendar if you want as well. I have it linked to a program called "Any.Do" for lists and reminders, which you can add to by telling Alexa. Any.Do has a really nice app for iOS that I now use, which also has a widget for quick viewing. But

Since messing with Alexa, I decided to try out Spotify and compare it to Google Play Music. I noticed it has all the music I listen to on GPM and also all the kids songs my daughter listens to on YouTube. Sure I know you get YouTube Red with GPM, but although I like it, it isn't a make or break thing for me. Side note, Amazon Music Unlimited is terrible, so if you try out an Alexa, use Spotify. I just wish Spotify and Google would make their music apps for the Apple Watch.

Talking to Alexa is more fluid than talking to GH. You can even change the wake word to "Computer" for all you Star Trek peeps out there. You don't have to pause when you talk to Alexa, the mic pics up immediately. Example. I can say without pausing, "Alexa turn on the bedroom lights". With GH, it is more like, "Hey Google, (Pause to hear the beep), Turn on the bedroom lights". So talking to Alexa is more like talking to a person.

Alexa uses Bing for it's search inquiries, which isn't as good as a Google Search, but someone made a skill to let you ask Google a question for information. You have to set it up yourself and as far as I know can't be downloaded in the Skill Store for obvious reasons.

Well that's just my take on a quick comparison. Feel free to chime in with opinions.

Stevenmc8602

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
You know your Google home beeps because u have it set up to beep... I've never had to pause between saying hey Google and the command

It gives you the options for it to chime after the wake words, after the command, or not at all

Locksh

Nov 19, 2015
Visit site
Agreed, I can say OK / hey google and the command all in one stream of words with no gaps and my Google home responds just fine. I think not being able to customise the wake word is a minor niggle.

maf113

Nov 15, 2009
Visit site
I have both devices and in many respects prefer GH for home automation. For example I have 1 Lifx RGB bulb 2 Osram RGB bulb and a lamp on a TP link switch. I can say "Hey Google tun on all lights" without having first set set up a group like I did with Alexa. Further I can issue command to change brightness and color on GH by saying change all light to red. Can't do that with Alexa with one command for all colored lights from different companies.
Command with GH are more natural than with Alexa. Try saying Alexa make all lights red or Alexa make living room lights green. Don't work. But does with GH

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
You know your Google home beeps because u have it set up to beep... I've never had to pause between saying hey Google and the command

It gives you the options for it to chime after the wake words, after the command, or not at all

I intentionally turned on the beep so I know when I can speak commands. If I or my wife try to just do it in one fluid motion without using the ready beep, it doesn't always catch it. But with the Alexa is always does. As far as the wake word, I doubt Google will give anyone flexibility on that. Just a feeling.

I realize that Google will eventually add the things I like about Alexa, but who knows when, and even how they are going to do it. For example, instead of Google adding in multiple lists to Google Keep in addition to Shopping List, they just remove it all together and add it into Google Express.

Also on Alexa I have it synced to my Microsoft calendar. I prefer to use that one over Google calendar because I have my email set up as exchange on all my devices.

Adding lists or reminders is really nice on Alexa since they let you sync it to Any.Do to Todolist.

One little thing which is just more personal opinion, but I like when I turn on or off my lights Alexa just says, OK. But on Google, it is too long winded. It will say something like, "You got it, turning off the bedroom lights". Geez I don't need that, just having the lights turn off is confirmation enough for me, I don't need the thing repeating back all that.

But I realize that all of this is subjective. I owned the 2 Google Homes since they released in November and loved them, and I just got the Echo Dot last month. So it's interesting to play with both.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Well today I decided to go pick up a regular full size Echo to try out. After using it a few hours, I can already tell I am taking it back tomorrow.

A few things that really irked me.

1) The speaker on that thing isn't very good. It gets louder than GH, but there's hardly any bass. People that complain that GH has too much bass, go listen to an Echo and you will see that GH has just the right amount of bass and sounds much better.

2) Using Spotify Premium with the Echo just isn't as good as an experience as using Google Play Music with the GH. No matter what I do, I just can't get the Echo to play my Spotify playlists. I searched the forums, and a ton of people can't either, but some can. No consistency. Plus I think that having GH since they came out, I'm just used to using GPM and YouTube Music.

So I think I am going just stick with GH, and just use my Echo DOT for adding to lists and reminders. But definitely taking back the regular Echo tomorrow.

scoty024

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
I agree that the echo beats Google Home. I've had the echo since Christmas and have only had the Google Home for four days... and have already boxed it back up and put it in the back of the closet. It's just too cumbersome to use the way I use the echo... but it's because of my specific use case... so MANY others may not have ANY of the same problems I have. I use the Harmony Hub to control my TV and TV devices... with echo I say, "Alexa, turn on the Android TV," whereas with Google Home I have to say, "Okay Google. Tell Harmony to turn on the Android TV." It may not sound like much to read... but when you've simply been asking your living room assistant to turn something on for months, then all of a sudden you have to ask them to ask someone else to do the same thing... it's actually MUCH more cumbersome. Plus I have a 5 year old who can say "Alexa" much easier than "Google" and has no logical reason to remember that the TV, Shield TV, XBox and WiiU are all controlled via a device called "Harmony."

Not everyone has Harmony Hub and not everyone has a 5 year old. Those people may find the Google Home works perfectly for them.

As for me, I'll wait for it to be further developed to do things more naturally and remove tedious steps rather than add them.

maskedcarrot

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
@scoty024

After writing my last message about taking the Echo back, I decided to give it another chance, and I found out I actually do like it better than the Google Home.

One thing, which is personal choice, and maybe not a great reason, is that I much prefer to just say "Alexa" instead of saying "Hey Google" or "OK Google". Also I do have a 7 year old daughter and it is also easier for her to say Alexa and have it recognize her voice.

I like being able to add stuff to my calendar or ToDo Lists, or whatever list I choose to make, right from the Echo. Google made a very bad choice moving the shopping list over to Google Express. They are taking a lot of heat from that considering all the negative feedback on the subject on various forums. But knowing Google, I doubt they will change it back.

The only thing if I have to pick a negative, is playing music on the GH is a bit nicer using GPM and YouTube Music than using Spotify on the Echo. Also on the GH, if you ask it to play a song, it will keep playing similar music afterwards until you tell it to stop. I like that. Spotify will only play the song you asked for and then stop. But Spotify does the same thing on both GH and Echo, I guess it's just a limitation of Spotify.

Amazon really does need to get their act together in rewriting their app for Android and iOS. I rarely have issues with it, but I have a few times where I ended up going onto the website to set up a device or make a change. I hear Android users complain a lot how bad the Echo app is.

So basically, my GH which was in the bedroom is what got used the most. That was relocated to the basement for when we are hanging out down there and the full sized Echo took it's place in the bedroom. I still have a GH in the living room. Being that I have both, I think I can make fair comparisons.

SlappyMcgee

Aug 20, 2010
Visit site
I too started using Youtube Music as my source of entertainment. I have tried getting my friends / family to use it but they are stuck on Spotify.
With YT Music, I really like that you can download songs for offline use so I don't use data. That and it takes into account any music videos I like on regular youtube to better the auto generated stations.

monicakm

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
I started my AI experience with 3 Echo Dots. LOVE them! I also have 3 TP-Link smart outlets (minis). No hub required. Felt like all my smart home needs were met till I can figure out which security system I'd like to install. Then my sister bought me a Google Home. Wow! GH fills in the blanks. I love that it's search features are so much better. And yesterday I asked Alexa three times for the operating hours of a local store (for Saturday). She couldn't even get the name of the store right, much less the closing time. GH got it the first try. Better audio. Can sync with my TP-Link devices but can NOT tell me what's on my Google Calendar. Alexa can but Google can't :confused: Alexa can make phone calls to other Alexa devices. Not terribly useful. Soon Google will be able to make phone calls to any landline or cell phone...more useful!
For me, both AIs have a place in my home. Competition is heating up. I love it!

OhAlfie

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
". I use the Harmony Hub to control my TV and TV devices... with echo I say, "Alexa, turn on the Android TV," whereas with Google Home I have to say, "Okay Google. Tell Harmony to turn on the Android TV." It may not sound like much to read... but when you've simply been asking your living room assistant to turn something on for months, then all of a sudden you have to ask them to ask someone else to do the same thing... it's actually MUCH more cumbersome. Plus I have a 5 year old who can say "Alexa" much easier than "Google" and has no logical reason to remember that the TV, Shield TV, XBox and WiiU are all controlled via a device called "Harmony."

Just for the record, you can easily use IFTTT to do exactly same thing with GH. I do it all the time. I have it set to just say "Ok Google, turn on TV" etc. I can also have Google reply with fun answers back, like made a goofy one for my young son. I had him ask Google to turn on TV, Google lady replied, "Don't be lazy Billy, go get the remote" :)

jryan15

Jul 12, 2017
Visit site
". I use the Harmony Hub to control my TV and TV devices... with echo I say, "Alexa, turn on the Android TV," whereas with Google Home I have to say, "Okay Google. Tell Harmony to turn on the Android TV." It may not sound like much to read... but when you've simply been asking your living room assistant to turn something on for months, then all of a sudden you have to ask them to ask someone else to do the same thing... it's actually MUCH more cumbersome. Plus I have a 5 year old who can say "Alexa" much easier than "Google" and has no logical reason to remember that the TV, Shield TV, XBox and WiiU are all controlled via a device called "Harmony."

Just for the record, you can easily use IFTTT to do exactly same thing with GH. I do it all the time. I have it set to just say "Ok Google, turn on TV" etc. I can also have Google reply with fun answers back, like made a goofy one for my young son. I had him ask Google to turn on TV, Google lady replied, "Don't be lazy Billy, go get the remote" :)

You cannot use IFTTT to do the same thing. IFTTT only allows you to start or end ACTIVITIES which really sucks. There is not a good way to have IFTTT send a simple pause command or volume up or mute, etc... For specific commands you have to use the Harmony interface (which sucks).

I hate hearing the Harmony voice come on a talk. Just do what I said and shut it :). Also half the time it doesn't work because it's looking for too much context.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Non