WiFi sleeps when device is locked!

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I actually have the opposite happen... it won't
automatically disconnect when I'm out of range.
It's actually quite annoying because I'll leave my
house, go on the road and since I'm driving, I use
the voice recognition to dial, but it requires data,
but since I'm already on the highway, it needs to
use 3G. The probably is that it shuts off 3G and
is still trying to latch on to either my home network
or any wifi signal (not sure which yet). I have to
manually shut wifi off to be able to get it to work.
At this point, I would have been better off finding
the contact manually in my recent call log.

And what does your wifi sleep policy say?

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
"Never" sleep. Did this even when I wasn't using
that.

But knowing you Duvi your N1 hasn't seen a stock rom since the day after you got it. (Or was it same day)? ;-)

Seriously, have you played with the network type settings (dial * # * # 4636 # * # * go to phone info)? Maybe something in there is whacked out?

I've seen a couple others post your problem, in the Google Support Forum. The only one I can put my hands on is HERE

resplendent2209

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I used Pandora and to my surprise it didnt put my wifi into sleep mode when screen went off. Strange this is regardless of whether auto lock option under Pandora is set to.

On the other hand, I never received an email during the time screen was off but the audio was streaming. Looks to me that the built in apps doesn't follow the wifi sleep policy.

This is insane. I don't know what is going on.

resplendent2209

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Now the replacement Phone doesn't switch to 3G/EDGE when screen goes off. It uses WiFi even though my sleep policy is set to "When screen turns off".

I am tired of this crap from HTC and Google.

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Now the replacement Phone doesn't switch to 3G/EDGE when screen goes off. It uses WiFi even though my sleep policy is set to "When screen turns off".

I am tired of this crap from HTC and Google.

well you actually dont want it to switch to 3g during sleep because that will drain your battery faster than just keeping it on wifi. but i agree the setting should actually WORK. however this has been a known bug for many months now. it works for some, and not for others.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
The replacement N1 works like a charm.

Glad you got that straightened out. /smirk.

FTR, mine does not seem to honor the switch back to 3G in sleep mode if I have any open connections via wifi at the time I sleep the phone (such as push connections to an imap server).

But that's just fine by me.

In other threads on the google help boards people have posted that this seems to be fixed with froyo, so my might hang onto that replacement phone for a few days.

Last edited:

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
But knowing you Duvi your N1 hasn't seen a stock rom since the day after you got it. (Or was it same day)? ;-)

Seriously, have you played with the network type settings (dial * # * # 4636 # * # * go to phone info)? Maybe something in there is whacked out?

I've seen a couple others post your problem, in the Google Support Forum. The only one I can put my hands on is HERE

Thanks for the info. It doesn't really bother me
much, but I'd love to fix this issue.

kC_

May 23, 2010
Visit site
I've had this issue ever since I got the phone back in january... I've tried every update.. including today's 85b but still annoyingly wifi sleeps when it feels like it. No matter what policy i select.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I've had this issue ever since I got the phone back in january... I've tried every update.. including today's 85b but still annoyingly wifi sleeps when it feels like it. No matter what policy i select.

Do you have any push connections of any sort? Email, Im clients?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dumpsterrentals38