Question How Do I get My Pixel to *NOT* Display the Title of a Podcast When Screen is Locked!?

pgtrr

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
I use Google Podcast to listen to various podcasts. Sometimes they (the titles) may be of a sensitive nature. When my phone screen is LOCKED it clearly displays the title of the podcast that is playing. I would prefer to keep the titles of my podcasts private. (at least sometimes)

I have hunted and searched and cannot find a setting or solution to configure the phone to NOT display the podcasts title (or whatever is playing) when the screen is locked.

Can anyone suggest a solution to making a podcast title private and not displayed when the phone screen locks?

It is a Pixel 3a with Android 12.

thanks,

Last edited:

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Turn the toggle off for media on lock screen this is under. Media when you go settings and type in search bar media, then when you need to get to that podcast just pull your notifications panel down 491788179.jpg

Reactions: BerryBubbles

pgtrr

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
That would look to be the perfect solution - unfortunately my Pixel 3a (soon to be upgraded) w/ Android 12 does NOT have the option "Show media on lock screen".

Per this thread I also dug thru Settings>Sound>Media and Settings>Display>Lock Screen>Privacy. But again - NO LUCK. My device just doesn't have the option to turn off displaying media being played on the lock screen. :(

I do have a setting "Show device controls" but toggling this had no effect on displaying media on the lock screen.:(

The best I could do was to toggle off "Always show time and usage". I always liked having the time and date and temperature displayed. With this option toggled off it is a purely black screen and no media is displayed. Unfortunately no time, date, temp either. I guess that's the best I can do on this device??? 🤨

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
That would look to be the perfect solution - unfortunately my Pixel 3a (soon to be upgraded) w/ Android 12 does NOT have the option "Show media on lock screen".

Per this thread I also dug thru Settings>Sound>Media and Settings>Display>Lock Screen>Privacy. But again - NO LUCK. My device just doesn't have the option to turn off displaying media being played on the lock screen. :(

I do have a setting "Show device controls" but toggling this had no effect on displaying media on the lock screen.:(

The best I could do was to toggle off "Always show time and usage". I always liked having the time and date and temperature displayed. With this option toggled off it is a purely black screen and no media is displayed. Unfortunately no time, date, temp either. I guess that's the best I can do on this device??? 🤨
Maybe Android 12willhave it

Mooncatt

Ambassador
Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Does your phone have this option in the notification settings of the app? It gives me the option to hide notifications if I want, as Pandora uses notifications to display track and control info.

Screenshots_2023-09-22-11-39-28.png

pgtrr

Nov 30, 2016
Visit site
Turn the toggle off for media on lock screen this is under. Media when you go settings and type in search bar media, then when you need to get to that podcast just pull your notifications panel down View attachment 356246
I recently upgraded to a new Pixel 7a. It has the exact screen shown above. By disabling "Show media on lock screen" - there is only a 'partial' effect. It does hide the 'larger' media controls on the lock screen including the graphic icon of the media etc. etc.

But it still continues to display the title of the podcast or artist/song in a line of text immediately below the clock and date on the lock screen. This is more 'discrete'. But it is not a complete hiding of media being played. It also disappears when you hit pause on your ear buds or whatever.

It appears the only way to truly turn off media being displayed when playing is Settings > Display > Lock screen > "Always show time and info" to *OFF*

It must be the "...and info" part of this toggle option that allows media to continue to be displayed.

Turning it off turns the screen completely black. Increases battery life. But no time/date at a glance. And kinda sorta have to hunt for the fingerprint unlock.

At this point I'm concluding there is no way to turn off media display on a locked or screen blanked screen without turning off everything (clock/date/fingerprint target).

IMHO this is probably a feature oversight in Android - to have a setting to not display media that truly does not display media (rather than merely reducing it to a smaller line of text). Further that the setting work independently of completely turning off the clock/date etc. No biggee - would be nice.

Thanks for the feedback - it was constructive and I learned something.

Reactions: mustang7757

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I recently upgraded to a new Pixel 7a. It has the exact screen shown above. By disabling "Show media on lock screen" - there is only a 'partial' effect. It does hide the 'larger' media controls on the lock screen including the graphic icon of the media etc. etc.

But it still continues to display the title of the podcast or artist/song in a line of text immediately below the clock and date on the lock screen. This is more 'discrete'. But it is not a complete hiding of media being played. It also disappears when you hit pause on your ear buds or whatever.

It appears the only way to truly turn off media being displayed when playing is Settings > Display > Lock screen > "Always show time and info" to *OFF*

It must be the "...and info" part of this toggle option that allows media to continue to be displayed.

Turning it off turns the screen completely black. Increases battery life. But no time/date at a glance. And kinda sorta have to hunt for the fingerprint unlock.

At this point I'm concluding there is no way to turn off media display on a locked or screen blanked screen without turning off everything (clock/date/fingerprint target).

IMHO this is probably a feature oversight in Android - to have a setting to not display media that truly does not display media (rather than merely reducing it to a smaller line of text). Further that the setting work independently of completely turning off the clock/date etc. No biggee - would be nice.

Thanks for the feedback - it was constructive and I learned something.
Thanks for your feedback on this as well

stanan

Oct 10, 2017
Visit site
Some podcast apps allow you to customize the name of the podcast. You could change it to blank or 'Bobs podcast'. Not sure if that would solve your problem but it could be worth a try.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andej