WiFi sleeps when device is locked!

resplendent2209

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
As the title says,

I want you guys to test the new email notifications when the device is connected through WiFi.

For this you've to set the WiFi sleep policy to never and the Background and Auto sync option needs to be checked.

Well, I don't get any notifications. I went an extra mile ahead and pinged the IP address and found that I get "request timed out" error when device is locked and when it is unlocked, the packets are received properly.

Waiting for you guys response.

Thanks and Regards,
resplendent2209

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Yes, that is because the Android OS (at least for me) by default puts wifi to sleep when has been inactive. The bad part about that is that it seems to shut the data services from the carrier down as well.

My solution was actually using wifi only when I needed to d/l a file (rom... etc).

If you're rooted, you can use "Spare Parts". There is an option so you can disable wifi sleep.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Sorry, fell asleep. (pun not intended)

I honestly do not use wifi anymore unless I want
to download a file. When it is done, I turn it off.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
I honestly do not use wifi anymore unless I want
to download a file. When it is done, I turn it off.

Why?

If you have wifi available in your house, it uses WAY less power than 3G.

But the WIFI Sleep NEVER has nothing to do with your ability to shut it off, all it does is keep the wifi radio listening while your phone sleeps, UNLESS you turn wifi off.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
In the house I'm always connected to a power source,
but wifi does not work well for me when it is on. When
I did have it on, I would receive my Gmail 30secs-2/3
minutes after my iPhone and BlackBerry would get it.
With wifi off, I now receive it within 10 seconds of
them.

icebike

Apr 8, 2010
Visit site
For the record, I tested this with resplendent2209 and with WIFI sleep NEVER, the phone remains ping-able while locked, screen off.

For testing, tap Settings / Wireless and networks / Wifi Settings / then tap your router's SSID (which should say connected below it).

A pop up will show you your IP address. Remember that.

Dismiss the pop up, and, on the same screen, tap Menu / Advanced / Wifi Sleep policy.

Set to NEVER to cause the phone to keep the wifi radio on while in sleep mode, saving batterty, and allowing notifications over wifi.

Then from another computer on the same network, ping your N1 via its ip address, then put the N1 to sleep, (lock it) and ping it again. The pings should go thru in all cases as long as NEVER is set.

CAVEAT: Most users would not care if the phone fell off wifi and reverted to 3G. Other than the extra power consumption, 3G is just as good as WiFi for a locked phone.

But in this case resplendent2209 is testing with a N1 without a data plan, and fall over to 3G leaves him with no notifications.

Last edited:

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Yes, I've had that option selected for a while as well.
My phone just refuses to listen sometimes. Or maybe
I'm expecting my gmail to push faster than my iPhone.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Also... one of my buddies actually returned his for that
reason. His 3Gs was getting emails 1-2 minutes faster.
Maybe it's my device that is messed up, but I'm definitely
SOL as my phone is unlocked.

z0phi3l

Aug 20, 2009
Visit site
Also... one of my buddies actually returned his for that
reason. His 3Gs was getting emails 1-2 minutes faster.
Maybe it's my device that is messed up, but I'm definitely
SOL as my phone is unlocked.

Just don't mention it's unlocked :p

It really sounds like a device issue, on WiFi or 3G I sometimes get notification on my phone before it pops up in Gmail

RayStinkle

Apr 30, 2010
Visit site
Yes there is a bug for some 2.1 nexus sinner where the WiFi sleep policy does not work for some reason, but it seems to work for me no problem. It actually saves battery setting sleep policy to never because then it doesn't switch to 3g when the WiFi goes to sleep.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Yes but so many people have had their warranty honored anyway even after they unlocked the bootloader that its definitely worth a shot.

Yeah, you're right. I just figured that it was a
small issue and that I'd keep it in hopes I don't
get a device that actually has real issues. This
would be a good poll to start.

resplendent2209

Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Lets see what the replacement NEXUS one has to offer me in the coming week. I will see to it that the replacement phone is near to perfect.

icebike has helped alot in troubleshooting my WiFi issue and I can now confirm that it is my device which is at fault as rogerpodcaster also said the same above in one of his post.

Regards

BigVDawgy

Apr 21, 2010
Visit site
I'd be surprised if it turns out to be a hardware issue. I am experiencing the same thing with my Nexus One, but so are my friends with Incredible's and EVO 4G's.

It is most noticeable for us with loss of gtalk connectivity after a few minutes of the phone sitting idle (as soon as you open gtalk you get a signing in message or just a rush of new incoming messages). I don't experience gtalk disconnects or delays if I stay in 3G mode.

The whole wifi stack seems immature. if you have wifi on when you go to sleep you often wake up in the morning to find 3G connection only, requiring manually reconnecting to router. Also, unlike my BlackBerry which could connect and disconnect from wifi automatically, as I walked into a building, the Nexus One rarely automatically connects. I suspect it all is related.

Strange coincidence if its a hardware thing.

Duvi

Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
I'd be surprised if it turns out to be a hardware issue. I am experiencing the same thing with my Nexus One, but so are my friends with Incredible's and EVO 4G's.

It is most noticeable for us with loss of gtalk connectivity after a few minutes of the phone sitting idle (as soon as you open gtalk you get a signing in message or just a rush of new incoming messages). I don't experience gtalk disconnects or delays if I stay in 3G mode.

The whole wifi stack seems immature. if you have wifi on when you go to sleep you often wake up in the morning to find 3G connection only, requiring manually reconnecting to router. Also, unlike my BlackBerry which could connect and disconnect from wifi automatically, as I walked into a building, the Nexus One rarely automatically connects. I suspect it all is related.

Strange coincidence if its a hardware thing.

I actually have the opposite happen... it won't
automatically disconnect when I'm out of range.
It's actually quite annoying because I'll leave my
house, go on the road and since I'm driving, I use
the voice recognition to dial, but it requires data,
but since I'm already on the highway, it needs to
use 3G. The probably is that it shuts off 3G and
is still trying to latch on to either my home network
or any wifi signal (not sure which yet). I have to
manually shut wifi off to be able to get it to work.
At this point, I would have been better off finding
the contact manually in my recent call log.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer