nexus one update for AT&T 3G?

wstcoaster07

Jan 13, 2010
Visit site
I have been reading different things and have one question regarding the hardware... is it a antenna hardware issue that the nexus one will not use the 3G freq for AT&T or is it a software/firmware issue that has the potential to be hacked/fixed down the road?

The reason I ask is I though I read that the phone can use that freq but only for 2G... but if the antenna can use that signal, why shouldn't there be a way to force the 3G across that freq?

Bought my unsubsidized nexus one last night (stil waiting for it to ship even though I didnt get any etching on the back) and plan to use it on at&t until my contract runs up in may at which point I hope it will sell used for anywhere between 450&500 so I can turn and switch to verizon with a subsidized nexus one

dseiden

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
If you are going to be using the Nexus One on AT&T you will never get their 3G service. You will be able to get EDGE service anywhere but no 3G. The frequency that AT&T uses is different from the options that the Nexus One has in it.

The only way to get 3G service in the US with the Nexus One is to pop a TMobile SIM card in there. You can use it on 3G in Europe and Asia but that is not really much help.

ILoveBlythe

Dec 14, 2009
www.fhtmus.com
Hardware. If it were possible to enable 3G tbrough a hack it would have been done already. Same as with the G1 and mytouch if it were possible . Also you would be able to put it on any carrier if you were able to just hack it and enable the code. You have to have the hardware to do it.

ads

Jan 8, 2010
Visit site
the way to think of it is this: 2G data rides on top of the voice frequencies and most the "world phones" had the 4 frequencies that were in use worldwide. 3G was implemented with different frequencies, and even slightly different methods between makers in how the send/receive works. Without looking it up, I think even T-mo uses a 1700 freq pair in the US and 2100 pair overseas for example; AT&T uses 850 1900. I guess they could get to where a phone had all the antennas and data implementations in one phone, but it has gotten increasingly complex.
ADS

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olalekan45