AT&T customers lost service.

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
For those that don't think land line phones are needed, some found out today that maybe they should have one. Emergency services said if you have a emergency to use a land line to call 911. That's hard to do if you don't have one.

You can get basic land lines for $20 a month or less. Don't get a land line thru your carrier as you will still be out of luck if the carrier goes down. Don't rely only on your cell phone

Reactions: BijouVixen

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Well to be fair, you don't even have to have a sim in a phone to call 911. I know this be sure my 7 year old got a hold of my OnePlus 3 that I had a couple of months ago and the local police showed up at my door.

But to your point it is true if cell service is down. However how often does it actually happen. Not enough imo to throw $$ at it monthly.

Just my opinion tho.

Last edited:

trucksmoveamerica#AC

Trusted Member
Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
Well to be fair, you don't even have to have a sim in a phone to call 911. I know this be sure my 7 year old got a hold of my OnePlus 3 that I had a couple of months ago and the local police showed up at my door.

But to your point it is true if cell service is down. However how often does it actually happen. Not enough imo to throw $$ at it monthly.

Just my opinion tho.
True, but nobody realizes how much they need a phone untill they don't have one. Emergencies don't always require calling 911. I don't use my land line much, but I can say it has come in handy a few times.

With cyber attacks and ransoms being asked to companies when they do get hacked, it's something to think about.

Reactions: swebb

bkeaver

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
True, but nobody realizes how much they need a phone untill they don't have one. Emergencies don't always require calling 911. I don't use my land line much, but I can say it has come in handy a few times.

With cyber attacks and ransoms being asked to companies when they do get hacked, it's something to think about.
I get it but there isn't anyone that I can't contact via email or telegram/Whatsapp that isn't an emergency personnel.. so that still doesn't drive me to get a phone I will never use

Reactions: Daniel Detkowski

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
Reactions: Daniel Detkowski

swebb

Dec 17, 2009
Visit site
I heard the story about AT&T, but I'm not sure I believe it. Carriers do not manufacture their own trransmission equipment, and many carriers even share tower space with other carriers. It seems unlikely that AT&T/Cricket would be the only ones affected. And according to this report, NOAA doesn't believe it either:
https://www.expressnews.com/san-antonio-weather/article/solar-flare-att-outage-18682496.php
Yes, very suspicious that only one carrier was massively affected.

Regarding landlines; emergencies can't be planned or anticipated. That's why most everyone uses a seatbelt even if they're going on a 5 minute errand. There are voip services that don't cost a lot. For example, Ooma costs ~$4 to $5 a month after a one time equipment purchase of $99 or less. Possibly, Internet provider voip is also competitive. Also, one other advantage of a land line would be the added phone number that can be used when requested by someone. I personally hate to give out my cell number because that usually results in unwanted calls. I can deal with that better on the landline than my cell.

Mr. Lucky

Jul 25, 2023
Visit site
There are voip services that don't cost a lot. For example, Ooma costs ~$4 to $5 a month after a one time equipment purchase of $99 or less. Possibly, Internet provider voip is also competitive. Also, one other advantage of a land line would be the added phone number that can be used when requested by someone. I personally hate to give out my cell number because that usually results in unwanted calls. I can deal with that better on the landline than my cell.
Good points! This OBiHAI/Poly unit even costs less. I have the 2-line version of it that I've used for years. Combined with PhonePower ($34.99/yr, which also includes an auto-attendant and other goodies), it makes for a pretty economical safety net.

I feel the same way sometimes about giving out my mobile number, so I give the OBi or Google Voice number, depending on whether I expect to answer from home or on the road.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
Got an email from Att that after 1 or 2 billing cycles should see a credit for the outage, anyone else?

f85aa1feebf157ed2e8f105653efb8df.jpg

BijouVixen

Feb 10, 2024
Visit site
Got an email from Att that after 1 or 2 billing cycles should see a credit for the outage, anyone else?

f85aa1feebf157ed2e8f105653efb8df.jpg
I had a very hectic day so I didn't check my emails but after seeing your post I checked and I got the same " making it right "! Of course it doesn't indicate how much of a credit ummmm I'll say 99cents haaaaa ??

Or maybe a day's credit so your monthly bill divided by 29 days in February?!

b982a828427ba6affac359d1e7df44b2.jpg

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I had a very hectic day so I didn't check my emails but after seeing your post I checked and I got the same " making it right "! Of course it doesn't indicate how much of a credit ummmm I'll say 99cents haaaaa ??

Or maybe a day's credit so your monthly bill divided by 29 days in February?!

b982a828427ba6affac359d1e7df44b2.jpg
I heard 5.00 credit

Reactions: BijouVixen

BergerKing

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
For those that don't think land line phones are needed, some found out today that maybe they should have one. Emergency services said if you have a emergency to use a land line to call 911. That's hard to do if you don't have one.

You can get basic land lines for $20 a month or less. Don't get a land line thru your carrier as you will still be out of luck if the carrier goes down. Don't rely only on your cell phone
I had two very brief AT&T outages that immediately shifted me to Wi-Fi calling, which has my address registered for emergency purposes. I could afford the landline, but really, it'd be just a waste of money, and I'm kinda known for being almost ridiculously prepared for emergencies.

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
I had two very brief AT&T outages that immediately shifted me to Wi-Fi calling, which has my address registered for emergency purposes. I could afford the landline, but really, it'd be just a waste of money, and I'm kinda known for being almost ridiculously prepared for emergencies.
I had my T-Mobile sim for these types of situations lol