Nexus One trackball questions

froboebel

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
I am a potential Nexus One purchaser once it hits Verizon. I just have a concern and also an admittedly fantasy-like question.

Firstly, I am wondering about how current owners go about cleaning/replacing their trackballs. I know that in Blackberries, the trackball is prone to getting clogged up. I am aware that the Nexus One's trackball won't get as much use and therefore should require less maintenance, but the day seems inevitable for any trackballed device where cleaning/replacement is necessary. My question is whether you have to take the whole phone apart in order to take the trackball out or if it just comes out like the Blackberry one.

With that in mind, here is the fantasy. How complicated would it be to install a trackpad onto a Nexus One assuming one was able to just purchase a trackpad from either a Desire or Legend in the future? Please ignore any possible voids in warranty or anything like that. I am just looking at the sheer difficulty.

Thanks, thoughts appreciated.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
Quick answer, there is no easy way to get it out. The only way you will is if you take apart the phone. ;)

That being said, I never really use it. Won't get dirty that way either. You could always use a que tip with some rubbing alcohol to clean it if needed.

froboebel

Dec 14, 2009
Visit site
In some of the pictures the trackball seems to protrude quite a bit. Is this noticeable when using it or when it is in your pocket for example? Basically, does it get in the way?

I really need to get my hands on one to see for myself! Too bad no one in my area uses T-Mobile.

Jeremy

Original Member
Oct 24, 2008
Visit site
In some of the pictures the trackball seems to protrude quite a bit. Is this noticeable when using it or when it is in your pocket for example? Basically, does it get in the way?

I really need to get my hands on one to see for myself! Too bad no one in my area uses T-Mobile.

Not at all. Non-issue for me.

Rusty Shackelford

Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
They have used it for an indicator light. Kinda weird, but its really the only thing mine is used for. Other than when it lights up to inform me of a message or missed call, I forget its even there.

benvfr

Mar 16, 2010
Visit site
Maybe someone can create a glass filler for the trackball. Then you could remove the trackball (whether its as easy as the Pearl was, or take the front cover off) then replace with a window to allow the colored lights to still be functional.......

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I have a trackball on my Hero , and I find that the quality of the trackball is pretty good. I use ky trackball a lot when selecting text or links. It really come in handy. I would rather have the trackball than not.

sp991

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
The trackball doesn't protrude from the phone in any way that it is annoying. I use it occasionally to edit text. Sometimes it's easier to scroll to the middle of a word with the trackball than it is to try to press my finger in exactly the right spot.

cesjr02

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Maybe someone can create a glass filler for the trackball. Then you could remove the trackball (whether its as easy as the Pearl was, or take the front cover off) then replace with a window to allow the colored lights to still be functional.......

This was my idea exactly. If there was a way to remove the trackball, maybe someone could develop a clear plastic lens which snaps in to cover the hole left behind.

The notification light would still be functional and it would even jazz up the look of the N1.