16 or 32GB Nexus 10

000Spook000

Jan 8, 2013
Visit site
Should I get the 16 or 32GB Nexus 10?

1. The tablet will be used to control my PC with Splashtop or a similar app when I'm not in my wheelchair.
2. The PC and/or Google Play hold my music files.
3. The PC is connected via HDMI to my HDTV so I can stream video that way so there shouldn't be a need to store videos on the tablet or connect the tablet to the HDTV.
4. It is unlikely that I will install any games on the tablet.

Am I likely to need more than 16GB for apps? I have never used a tablet before so have no frame of reference on typical app sizes. Other than controlling the PC the tablet will either be used with streamed content or browsing the internet. Maybe Flipboard and a sketching/art app. It is hard to say with little exposure to what is out there yet.

VeeArSix

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm always in the boat to buy more when you think you need less. However in your case, you may be able to get by on the 16GB. I myself bought the 32GB, but I haven't been using those extra GB's. I'm in a similar situation as you as I don't store much on my tablet and haven't found a use for that extra space. If you're storing higher quality music files, than I would probably go w/ the 32GB.

silentagenda

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I've recently purchased a 16GB model for my grandmother, as she only reads and browses (when she was using my 32GB model). It's fine if you're not going to use it for more than installing a few apps, here or there, that aren't too massive. Some games (as you've said you're not going to be playing/installing games onto your Nexus) can go up to 1-2GB (Need For Speed: Most Wanted, for example). As for generic apps, I don't see any that's over 200mb or so (usually 12-32mb; just going on the high-end of the curve). You should be fine, really, with a 16GB model.

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
I have NEVER purchased anything and said " I wish I had bought the cheaper model with less storage". I have on more than one occasion wished I owned the more expensive model with more storage.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Honestly, if you're not planning on putting a lot of music or videos on it, and you don't plan on using it for games, than 16GB should be more than enough. Those are the big 3 that start to eat up space quickly. Most non-game apps take up very little space at all.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
I have NEVER purchased anything and said " I wish I had bought the cheaper model with less storage". I have on more than one occasion wished I owned the more expensive model with more storage.

+1

The extra 16GB of storage is a TOTAL RIPOFF (costs them about $5 to $7 more to make), but since you can't add any more storage (no SD slot) later, I wanted the most I could get so it was 32GB for sure (that that is still not enough).

My case is a bit different, since I don't want/like the "cloud" and prefer to have all my photos and music with me at all times, wherever I go.

davrow

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
100 bucks for 16g more really is a rip-off. And I've found you don't need it.
I use stick mount with an OTG USB cable and stream from thumb drives. Works for pictures and video, too.

Despite what has been said here, you CAN expand the storage, so 16g is completely adequate.

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
100 bucks for 16g more really is a rip-off. And I've found you don't need it.
I use stick mount with an OTG USB cable and stream from thumb drives. Works for pictures and video, too.

Despite what has been said here, you CAN expand the storage, so 16g is completely adequate.

Buying a proprietary app so you can mount a clumsy external USB flash drive with a cable is hardly what most think of as "expanding the storage". It is just using a bunch of stuff to access another device. It is also tremendously slower than the internal storage, uses more power, and makes the unit less portable, more fragile, less convenient, is read-only, and requires time to setup and teardown.

It is a nice option, but tremendously less desirable than would be a 64GB tablet or one with an SD card slot.

Craig King

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Something people seem to forget is that on a nice device like the nexus 10 with a very high resolution display everything takes up more space.

Think of it like this. With the nexus 10 developers can upgrade there app to take advantage of the display. They will do that by providing higher quality visual objects in there app. Those improved objects will take up more space. There is no way around it. This is exactly the reason that Amazon made 16 the minimum on the new kindles. The nexus 10 is even a higher resolution display, and so the effect could be even more pronounced.

This topic makes me think back a ways to a reaction on oh my coworkers had after getting his nifty ipad3. He was absolutely amazed when one of his magazines was like 1.2gb. He checked his friend with a ipad 2 and it was only like 250mb there. He started to notice a trend that everything was bigger that was optimized.

So simply put higher dpi can very easily mean a need for higher storage for everything.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
I got the 32GB one since I'd rather have too much memory than too little memory. Even the 32GB mod is at a great price for what you get with this tablet.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

crxssi

May 31, 2010
Visit site
Sigh, I never said you have to like it. But it does work. It is viable. Calm down.

It wasn't you, I am just still very annoyed at Google's stance of stripping out card slots; especially on high end units. And the amount of storage they put on the Nexus 4 line is an absolute joke.