xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
So I've been thinking of maybe getting a stylus to use with my N10 occasionally. I know the S-Pen is out of the question which is disappointing but not the end of the world. I've never really looked into them before so I'm wondering if anyone here knows any decent ones that serve as an alternative.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
So I've been thinking of maybe getting a stylus to use with my N10 occasionally. I know the S-Pen is out of the question which is disappointing but not the end of the world. I've never really looked into them before so I'm wondering if anyone here knows any decent ones that serve as an alternative.

Keep in mind the N10 (like most tablets and phones) does not have the ability to use a "real" stylus. Only a capacitive one. Usually the tip will be fat and mushy. I picked up a bunch of super inexpensive ones on Amazon and they work great as a finger replacement. Gave them out as presents too.

Amazon.com: 3 Pack of Black Blue Pink Stylus Universal Touch Screen Pen for Ipad 2 Ipod Iphone 4,4S,3g ,3gs,Motorola Xoom, Samsung Galaxy Tab 8.9 10.1, Blackberry Playbook HTC Flyer Evo: Kindle Store

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I figured, was just wondering if there were any decent ones. It's too bad Samsung didn't put at least some stylus capabilities into the Nexus 10. Not enough so that it would lead people away from the Note phones and tablet but at least more than just this basic stuff. :p

ibmnasa69

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
They are all decent. This is one situation where spending more does not equate to getting a better product; on the contrary, if you pay more than a dollar apiece for a stylus you are wasting your money. I got four for something like $3 including shipping. They look a ballpoint pen with a small round rubber ball on the tip, and work great. I find that a stylus allows me to make MUCH more precise inputs than using my finger. With the stylus I find it a lot easier to use the keyboard, also, selecting words to look up in my Nook app's eBook dictionary. Even very small icons or fields can be selected with ease using a stylus.

crxssi

Linux: The power beneath
May 31, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I figured, was just wondering if there were any decent ones. It's too bad Samsung didn't put at least some stylus capabilities into the Nexus 10. Not enough so that it would lead people away from the Note phones and tablet but at least more than just this basic stuff. :p

Adding a [Wacom-like] device sensor to the screen is a significant expense. Of course, the Nexus 10 is not cheap, so it could have been interesting. But keep in mind that Android doesn't support that... yet.... I think it is a Samsung-only proprietary addon. Since the Nexus is designed to run pure/stock Android, it would not have been compatible.

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Adding a [Wacom-like] device sensor to the screen is a significant expense. Of course, the Nexus 10 is not cheap, so it could have been interesting. But keep in mind that Android doesn't support that... yet.... I think it is a Samsung-only proprietary addon. Since the Nexus is designed to run pure/stock Android, it would not have been compatible.

Considering the only good one is the S-Pen, I have no doubt it's Samsung-only.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Android Central Forums

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I looked into this myself. I found some tests that one person had done, where he tried really hard to get as good using his finger as he could with the stylus. In the end he posted pix of text written by both finger and stylus - you could not tell the difference! Now, I've tried this and its really hard to get "fine" text with just your finger, but I havent really practiced it.

I can say that I was unable to find any stylus that people didnt report "scratches the screen". Some people said the scratches were so fine and hard to notice you had to get the tablet out in the sun light and have it powered off to see them. Myself, I have a bit of OCD when it comes to my devices and hate to have even the smallest flaw (yup, I am often miserable in case you were wondering! :) ) so I decided I would never use one on my N10.

A good way to find the names of the stylus' that people were giving good reviews was by looking in the comments of the "note taking" apps.

If you end up getting one I'd like to hear how you like it...

xlDeMoNiClx

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
1) I'd never be able to do that with my finger as good a stylus. My printing sucks enough with a pen and paper.

2) I'm sure a screen protector would fix that issue.

big matty

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
1) I'd never be able to do that with my finger as good a stylus. My printing sucks enough with a pen and paper.

2) I'm sure a screen protector would fix that issue.

One of the people said it scratched it through a screen protector. But honestly, I'd have to see that in real life to believe it - because I dont understand why someone who has a screen protector on would then take it off to check for scratches! I know on all my Nintendo stuff I use a screen protector + stylus & I assume that is protecting it... and that's way less strong than Gorilla glass. But, I guess then again I've never taken them off and taken my Nintendo out into the sun to check, HA. I would trust a HORI to protect my N10, but I dont know if they make them for it.

Tayman52

Jul 28, 2012
Visit site
apepu6er.jpg
a6uda2yt.jpg
y6agaju6.jpg

These look interesting. I'm currently using a mushy stylus.... I really want a more precise stylus though.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

lumpynose

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I bought several from amazon. All are some sort of slightly furry fabric. It turns out it sucks because it's too slippery on the glass and it's hard to be precise because it's so slippery. Go with the less expensive rubber tip ones; I got one with a case and it's better. Someone in the comments on amazon said that the rubber tip ones eventually disintegrate, but at least it's usable until then.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez