Navigation buttons centered or to the left?

instrumentally

May 21, 2013
Visit site
All of the photos of the Nexus 10 have the navigation buttons centered at the bottom of the screen. What I would like to know is how is it that the Nexus 10 the only 10" Android device that has the buttons centered. All of the other 10" Android tablets running Jelly Bean have the navigation buttons at the far left bottom of the screen.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
All of the photos of the Nexus 10 have the navigation buttons centered at the bottom of the screen. What I would like to know is how is it that the Nexus 10 the only 10" Android device that has the buttons centered. All of the other 10" Android tablets running Jelly Bean have the navigation buttons at the far left bottom of the screen.

It's the only one running stock 4.2.2 and, unlike the others that have the notifications on the bottom as well, the notifications are on the top.

instrumentally

May 21, 2013
Visit site
It's the only one running stock 4.2.2 and, unlike the others that have the notifications on the bottom as well, the notifications are on the top.

So you are telling me that the Samsungs, and Sonys and Asuses of the world are forcing the navigation buttons to the left, despite the fact that they should be in the center?

Xingularity

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Stock jelly bean launcher has it in the middle, their launchers use the old layout as to not confuse their users. Installing Apex launcher or Nova Launcher will let you choose to move it back to the center.

Posted via Android Central App

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Stock jelly bean launcher has it in the middle, their launchers use the old layout as to not confuse their users. Installing Apex launcher or Nova Launcher will let you choose to move it back to the center.

Posted via Android Central App

Correct, most of these tablets were designed prior to the Nexus 10.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
So you are telling me that the Samsungs, and Sonys and Asuses of the world are forcing the navigation buttons to the left, despite the fact that they should be in the center?

In a word, yes. I went from having them on the left on my Galaxy Tab 10.1 to having them centered on my N10. The transition was absolutely seamless.

So I have to ask. What does it matter?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site

Since Honeycomb, Android's "tablet UI" was such that there was no top notification bar, and the captive buttons (home, back, etc) were placed on the bottom bar to the left; and the clock, quick-access items and notifications were on the right. With ICS, Android merged the phone and tablet OS into one branch, however the UIs were still different in this regard.

When Jelly Bean was announced along with the release of the N7 tablet, the "hybrid UI" was introduced, as many called it. The UI on the tablet was more like that of the phone, with the notifications and quick-access menus on separate bar at the top, and the bottom icons centered since they were no longer sharing real estate with the notification bar. This same style persisted with the Nexus 10. Apparently there are still mods that can be applied to JB tablets that revert back to the old tablet UI, but it seems Google is trying to phase that out as it is no longer the default on the tablets it builds, though many Android tablet OEMs still use it with their custom UIs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress