nexus 10, android in general

Neil Paice

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Ok so sent my 10 back to be exchanged as the video playback in all types of use was choppy and unacceptable in a device of this spec, bought as a temp replacement an asus memo 10. Flippin heck its even worse. Can android not play video at all? I have used a tab 3 10" and a note 2014 and to be honest they all seem choppy to me. Not trying to incite a war between android fans and apple fans but really? One simple task and they can't get it right. I kinda wonder why all the android users who root and change operating systems do it but maybe because its so poor out the box? Yet people rave about how great they are and yet most here tinker like mad to get it to work it seems? I just wanted an android tablet that actually works properly. Really rather sad that it doesn't seem possible.

Posted from my nexus 4

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
What app are you using and on what settings? Is it through the browser, or YouTube or ? I've never had problems with video via YouTube and whatever Facebook uses, but I've also never tried it on a Samsung device other than a galaxy nexus which was a TI processor, so not sure it's comparable. Many times the default video settings are not the same as the device's native resolution and that can help a few people, but would really need more information to see if it's an issue with the device or the network(s) (bandwidth, settings, etc) the device is streaming from. Both versions of the Nexus 7 are great with YouTube and my old Asus Transformer was solid there (that's two Tegra and one Snapdragon device, all three made by Asus), as well as my Moto X being fine with it. I'm not saying it's just you because there are definitely a lot of threads complaining, but more info is definitely needed. :)

Neil Paice

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the reply. Ok, internet itself is fine as tried at both mine and the girlfriends, had both the 10 running side by side with my iPad 2 and also the asus side by side, clearly an issue. I can't load a movie onto the iPad so that counts that comparison out but I use Netflix all the time and YouTube and here is where I see the issues in a comparison. I'm not trying to compare here just using the iPad as a bench mark.
The nexus is pretty much fine on you tube as long as its a face shot single camera clip, like pocket now for example, the most obvious issue is when the camera angle changes, not pans but changes there is a split second after the change that there is a twitch also during and scene where the camera is panning and following someone it seems like now and then a frame is dropped if that makes sense? This is just on the nexus. In the asus memo its just choppy as hell no matter what lol its a 1.6 quad core so should he perfect for video but neither YouTube, transfered video or Netflix play well, very choppy indeed. They guys at work brought their galaxy note 10" and tab 3 10" in and I still saw it on those too but not the split second camera change thing but the movement thing I did see, they said they had not noticed it but could when I was pointing it out but were adamantly blaming other things for it lol maybe I am being to critical but once you see an issue like these you can't help but look and notice it. I have tried all setting that I can but nothing seems to make any difference, the nexus 10 has gone to be replaced so shall see what happens once the new one arrives but the asus is being sold, its no use to me. I had intended to sell my iPad this weekend as I am really trying to give android a fair go but am fearing I will regret this. If only android did a few of the iPad things and vice versa.
I do love the 10, its great but this one issue is huge for me. I love my nexus 4 and am happy with that.

Posted from my nexus 4

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
If only android did a few of the iPad things and vice versa.

So true...

Yes, dropping frames and some buffering issues are fairly common issues, but I've never seen it conclusively nailed to a particular device or OS version or processor, etc. When your N10 returns please do let us know if it's still an issue. Also, does it work well on your Nexus 4?

Also, also... it is REALLY common for people to love Android phones and love Apple tablets and to prefer that setup to being all in one or the other camps. The Nexus 10 also has like 9 gazillion-jillion pixels (okay maybe more like 4.1 million) and I've often wondered if it has too many, but if you're seeing the same issue across devices that's probably not it.

Neil Paice

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
I will be honest the Netflix playback seems a bit choppy on my 4 as well, you tube seems ok but I don't watch much on my phone to be fair. I am genuinely gutted as I love the speed of the 10. I shall see what happens on the new one once back. But I am shocked this happens in this stage of the evolution of portable media

Posted from my nexus 4

patruns

May 21, 2011
Visit site
I have only noticed occasional choppiness over wifi depending on the quality of the video being streamed. When I play a movie off a flash drive using my OTG cable there is never any choppiness. Choppiness is also many times dependent on time of day and how many others in or out of your house are using wifi or the ISP. I also found my wifi signal slowed if I chose 5 GHz only as opposed to 2.4 GHz or "auto" in my Nexus settings.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer