For some reason, not super excited on the new Nexus 4

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I am a big Nexus nerd, owned all three Nexus phones. I have never owned and LG product before, but I honestly don't care that the new Nexus is an LG phone, I am sure Google picked them for a reason, and the hardware will be top notch, so being LG brand, doesn't bother me one bit really. I am open minded to a new manufacturer making the next Nexus.

But I have a question. If the next Android release is just 4.2 still Jellybean, the current Galaxy Nexus will get this build ASAP as well, if not right away from Google, custom 4.2 ROM's will be out for the Galaxy Nexus very quickly.

What is the big selling point for Galaxy Nexus owners to buy the new LG Nexus 4 ? The difference between the Nexus-S and Galaxy Nexus was huge last year, that upgrade gave you a larger 720p screen, the first and only phone with the all new ICS 4.0, dual core processor, and whole new designed phone.

But going from the Galaxy Nexus to LG Nexus 4 does not seem as a big a jump as the N-S to G-Nex. The LG Nexus 4 looks almost the same, it runs Jellybean, has same size screen, same phone design, is not the only phone, coming out with a whole new Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie first. I just don't feel the mad rush to run out and get this new LG Nexus 4 if you currently own the Galaxy Nexus. But last year, getting the Galaxy Nexus over my Nexus-S, I was first in line the day it came out, and super pumped up for it, and excited. And it felt like a I did get a brand new next gen device, and major upgrade at the time.

Right now I am not feeling that seem thing for this LG Nexus 4, and it really has nothing to do with it being made by LG, that doesn't phase me too much, it's just everything else feels meh. More like the iPhone4S after the iPhone4, sure it's a better phone and all, but not too much different. Actually iOS5 on the 4S was a bigger upgrade than iOS4, but the old iPhone4 was upgrade to iOS5 too, so even less a reason to upgrade to the i4S if you owned the i4, last year.

Opinions ?

My feeling is, I am not so pumped up because the Android OS, on the new Nexus-4, is nothing brand spanking new, it is a tweaked and better version of Jellybean we already know and love. Where as last year, Android 4.0 ICS, was a MAJOR update, and night and day different, and the Galaxy Nexus was the first and only phone out with it, plus the new 720p screen and larger screen, was one of the first new Android phones out with that type of display last year.

djw39

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
This is just a sign of maturity of the smartphone industry. You're not supposed to have to upgrade every year. For people like me, with a two year contract on the Nexus S, it is a huge upgrade.

There are not a whole lot of new features to be added to phones that won't come across as mere marketing gimmicks. I think updated radio tech-- support for LTE, SVLTE, and the SMR frequency band for CDMA-- is probably the biggest selling point for me. But some people around here think even that is just a gimmick.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
A good [H]ard Forum member Chagne3D made this great comment;

top quad-core A15-based vs dual-core A9
top gpu vs crap (although still slightly better than the total crap in the Galaxy SIII US variants)
true HD 768p screen vs fake 720p pentile screen

seems pretty big to me.

I did skip the Galaxy Nexus due to having a Galaxy SII. The Galaxy Nexus is only better than the Galaxy SII in the display area and that's it (other than the Google support of course); everything else is worse. So if the question was why get the Galaxy Nexus when you have the Galaxy SII, then you got me.

This LG Nexus 4 is rumored to actually have the top end hardware for the first time ever in a Nexus phone. The only thing it wouldn't have until next year is a 1080p display.

P.S. LG is declaring victory on battery life vs the SIII even though they have the same mAH

Syrous44

Jul 1, 2012
Visit site
I am in the same boat, as a recent gnex adapter, other then the nice specs of the lg nexus it looks like the gnex. It is flat with a funkey crystal looking back. Other then that same rounded curves and looks. I will wait for the next nexus to come out or see what other manufacturers release. Their is a sony nexus pic floating around showing the back of it and to me it very fugly, but was never a fan or sony slabs.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Android Central Forums

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
I have the Galaxy Nexus, and never loved the screen, too dark, sucks in sunlight, and gets oily way too easily. I also have the international One X, running CM10, and it is way ing better. The One X display blows the Galaxy Nexus out of the water, and the battery life from the newest CM10 Nightly's on my One X, now surpasses my Galaxy Nexus, by a good 1/3rd on same use. The standby battery life on the international One X, is way better than my Verizon Nexus.

Saying all of that, if this new LG Nexus 4, is closer and better to the One X over the Galaxy Nexus, then Google have sold me. I like the LCD screen technology better than pentile. And the hardware in the new LG Nexus is a massive upgrade over the G Nex too. And battery life just has to be better, hard to be worse than the Verizon Galaxy Nexus battery, which blows.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I am a big Nexus nerd, owned all three Nexus phones. I have never owned and LG product before, but I honestly don't care that the new Nexus is an LG phone, I am sure Google picked them for a reason, and the hardware will be top notch, so being LG brand, doesn't bother me one bit really. I am open minded to a new manufacturer making the next Nexus.

But I have a question. If the next Android release is just 4.2 still Jellybean, the current Galaxy Nexus will get this build ASAP as well, if not right away from Google, custom 4.2 ROM's will be out for the Galaxy Nexus very quickly.

What is the big selling point for Galaxy Nexus owners to buy the new LG Nexus 4 ? The difference between the Nexus-S and Galaxy Nexus was huge last year, that upgrade gave you a larger 720p screen, the first and only phone with the all new ICS 4.0, dual core processor, and whole new designed phone.

But going from the Galaxy Nexus to LG Nexus 4 does not seem as a big a jump as the N-S to G-Nex. The LG Nexus 4 looks almost the same, it runs Jellybean, has same size screen, same phone design, is not the only phone, coming out with a whole new Android 5.0 Key Lime Pie first. I just don't feel the mad rush to run out and get this new LG Nexus 4 if you currently own the Galaxy Nexus. But last year, getting the Galaxy Nexus over my Nexus-S, I was first in line the day it came out, and super pumped up for it, and excited. And it felt like a I did get a brand new next gen device, and major upgrade at the time.

Right now I am not feeling that seem thing for this LG Nexus 4, and it really has nothing to do with it being made by LG, that doesn't phase me too much, it's just everything else feels meh. More like the iPhone4S after the iPhone4, sure it's a better phone and all, but not too much different. Actually iOS5 on the 4S was a bigger upgrade than iOS4, but the old iPhone4 was upgrade to iOS5 too, so even less a reason to upgrade to the i4S if you owned the i4, last year.

Opinions ?

My feeling is, I am not so pumped up because the Android OS, on the new Nexus-4, is nothing brand spanking new, it is a tweaked and better version of Jellybean we already know and love. Where as last year, Android 4.0 ICS, was a MAJOR update, and night and day different, and the Galaxy Nexus was the first and only phone out with it, plus the new 720p screen and larger screen, was one of the first new Android phones out with that type of display last year.

Why would upgrade from GN that not even year old is beyond me. However if one wolere to upgrade to the N4 would be the battery life and gaming. LG is promoting the Optimus G with better battery life then the S3. (dual core S3 version I assume)

Sent from my ADR6400L using Android Central Forums

Zorachus

Apr 25, 2011
Visit site
Why would upgrade from GN that not even year old is beyond me. However if one wolere to upgrade to the N4 would be the battery life and gaming. LG is promoting the Optimus G with better battery life then the S3. (dual core S3 version I assume)

If the LG Nexus 4, has a much improved battery life over the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, that right there is reason #1 to upgrade. The battery life on the CDMA Galaxy Nexus sucks. Plus the screen on the LG is supposed to be really good from what I read about the Optimus G. I am tired of Samsung's pentile display, I find the One X LCD style much nicer, and I think the LG is closer to a One X style display ?

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
If the LG Nexus 4, has a much improved battery life over the Verizon Galaxy Nexus, that right there is reason #1 to upgrade. The battery life on the CDMA Galaxy Nexus sucks. Plus the screen on the LG is supposed to be really good from what I read about the Optimus G. I am tired of Samsung's pentile display, I find the One X LCD style much nicer, and I think the LG is closer to a One X style display ?

Lol what is the point of this thread then if you are unhappy with your GN?

Last edited:

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Lol what is the point of this thread then if you are unhappy with your GN?

Hah....he went from bashing this phone saying its a pointless upgrade to basically throwing his wallet at Google in T-Minus 32 minutes.

Fun thread thx.....

But I will tell you why I want to upgrade, the micro SIM(Easier to switch between GS3), the better screen, more ram, faster processor, the HSPA+ 42 over the 21 that the GN offered.(Hopefully this is accurate), better camera, better build material, and better battery life. What's not to like?

I Can Be Your Hero

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
I too feel like my enthusiasm for phones has diminished rapidly and this appears to he the only tuning I'm looking forward to.

I usually buy a new phone every few months and was an avid flasher. Now I'm planning on getting the LG Nexus, not buying another phone for a long while and don't ever want to flash a ROM again.

While I'm not super excited about the LG Nexus, I am still looking forward to it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I too feel like my enthusiasm for phones has diminished rapidly and this appears to he the only tuning I'm looking forward to.

I usually buy a new phone every few months and was an avid flasher. Now I'm planning on getting the LG Nexus, not buying another phone for a long while and don't ever want to flash a ROM again.

While I'm not super excited about the LG Nexus, I am still looking forward to it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

While I won't say that I'll never flash a ROM......I will say that this phone has me excited for that same reason. I "might" be able to hold onto it for a full year without me wasting my hard earned money on phones every month. I may be wrong about that but who knows. I was actually rly liking my GN but after having the S3....Screen is far superior and the camera is amazing. If I can replace it with this Nexus than I think it'll hold me over for a long while.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Hah....he went from bashing this phone saying its a pointless upgrade to basically throwing his wallet at Google in T-Minus 32 minutes.

Fun thread thx.....

But I will tell you why I want to upgrade, the micro SIM(Easier to switch between GS3), the better screen, more ram, faster processor, the HSPA+ 42 over the 21 that the GN offered.(Hopefully this is accurate), better camera, better build material, and better battery life. What's not to like?

Fun thread indeed I had to double check the original post because I couldn't believe I was talking to the same person.

HSPA+ 42 would also be a good reason to upgrade N4 if you heavily rely on HSPA speeds.

My contract is up in March next year so I will be looking to retire my TB but only for phone that will be relevant for at least 3 years. Yes tech because as irrelevant as soon as it comes out but what like about android especially the Nexus line is they try keep software up to date. That's why my next smartphone will have to be a Nexus however don't no X amount of years they will update a particular Nexus devices with software updates but hop for GN it's at least 2 years and I hope longer for future Nexus products. Back to the LG N4 comes in white and feels right in hands then I will buy one.

anon(512898)

Oct 5, 2011
Visit site
I feel the same, I think that since hardware has gotten good enough to run android fluidly there hasn't been as much to get excited about hardware wise. In the desktop space it is still possible to be excited about specs because there is software that can push a monster rig to its limits, but in mobile we don't have the software to push the hardware. There is nothing that the new nexus 4 will do substantially better than the galaxy nexus or the nexus 7

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Fun thread indeed I had to double check the original post because I couldn't believe I was talking to the same person.

HSPA+ 42 would also be a good reason to upgrade N4 if you heavily rely on HSPA speeds.

My contract is up in March next year so I will be looking to retire my TB but only for phone that will be relevant for at least 3 years. Yes tech because as irrelevant as soon as it comes out but what like about android especially the Nexus line is they try keep software up to date. That's why my next smartphone will have to be a Nexus however don't no X amount of years they will update a particular Nexus devices with software updates but hop for GN it's at least 2 years and I hope longer for future Nexus products. Back to the LG N4 comes in white and feels right in hands then I will buy one.

I wouldn't say I fully rely on it but my GN got about 6 megs down at work while my S3 gets 20. So if there comes a time when I want to stream and my internet work happens to be down for some reason or another, it would be good to have.

I too also rly rly rly hope they release the white version right away. I've somewhat shied away from white phones recently with the exception of the S3.(I wasn't going purple pebble blue whatever they call it). But I would love to see this in white.

I'd say the GN will get a minimum of next upgrade, they may stop there though. I believe they are ending Nexus S after JB, however the GN might have enough processing power to go another round or two.

bunique4life05

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't say I fully rely on it but my GN got about 6 megs down at work while my S3 gets 20. So if there comes a time when I want to stream and my internet work happens to be down for some reason or another, it would be good to have.

I too also rly rly rly hope they release the white version right away. I've somewhat shied away from white phones recently with the exception of the S3.(I wasn't going purple pebble blue whatever they call it). But I would love to see this in white.

I'd say the GN will get a minimum of next upgrade, they may stop there though. I believe they are ending Nexus S after JB, however the GN might have enough processing power to go another round or two.
You would think they shoot unofficial for a nexus device to be update at least 20 months for those on a mobile contract. 20 months is the typical eligibility wait to be allow to upgrade on verizon. I understand this idea was not practical for first couple nexus devices but I would hope it is feasible now. I understand money and the rapid progress of technology could make updating nexus device set amount of years a douting task.

srosencrans

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Well, I've had my phone (myTouch4G) since Nov 2010, my contract is up, so I'm super excited, this is a huge leap. From single-core 1GHz 700MB ram with 3.8in screen to 1.5 GHz Quad-Core with 2GB ram and true HD 4.6in screen, yikes!

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Well, I've had my phone (myTouch4G) since Nov 2010, my contract is up, so I'm super excited, this is a huge leap. From single-core 1GHz 700MB ram with 3.8in screen to 1.5 GHz Quad-Core with 2GB ram and true HD 4.6in screen, yikes!

Yikes indeed.....You still on Froyo with that thing? It'll be a change for sure! Curious if they will go to T-Mo in a contract like fashion. Iirc they did with the One? But haven't since idt.

srosencrans

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Yikes indeed.....You still on Froyo with that thing? It'll be a change for sure! Curious if they will go to T-Mo in a contract like fashion. Iirc they did with the One? But haven't since idt.

I'm actually on Gingerbread, but some weird mutant version of it. Not sure if they will get a contract version, but I'm going to change to the SIM-Card Value Plan and buy it unlocked any how.

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm actually on Gingerbread, but some weird mutant version of it. Not sure if they will get a contract version, but I'm going to change to the SIM-Card Value Plan and buy it unlocked any how.

I'm on the Value plan atm with my family.....Prices cannot be beaten and you will save money in the long run doing it that way. The only thing I hate is that they require the 2 year contract. It should be a 1 year, I don't see why they need a 2 year contract from you. If they are subsidizing the plan than no amount of time will recoup that and they don't give you phone discounts so shrug.

End of my little mini rant. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa