Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Best Anti-Theft App for Nexus 4

Yes, of course I could easily Google (and I have several times), but I'd like to get a definitive answer for this phone.

I lost my Galaxy Nexus at a concert a month ago, and it was pretty devastating (the concert was great though, any "The Weeknd" lovers on the board?).

Now that I'm going to get the Nexus 4, I absolutely want to ensure that never happens to me again.

I paid for "Where's My Droid" (after losing my GNex, of course), and have it installed on my Pantech Flex and Nexus 7. It seems to work pretty well, but I want to hear from people on the board what is absolutely the best anti-theft app.
    Android Powered Human

ROM
    Stock ROM / Rooted Kernel

Default Re: Best Anti-Theft App for Nexus 4

I like the features that Avast! mobile security offers. Plus it's free. But that is just my opinion. The software is best used on a rooted device as more features are open to you. Nothing is going to stop the phone from being lost or stolen, but the options available in Avast! help to mitigate the fallout (phone wipe/lock through SMS, phone tracking through GPS, etc). Plus you get a decent firewall and AV protection all rolled into one. Just my $.02.

If I've helped, feel free to hit that "THANKS" button. It will make my day!
    Thanked by:

Big "The Weeknd" Fan. His trilogy comes out the same day as the Nexus 4....like it was meant to be.

Edit: I've never had an android phone, so I can't actually help with what you asked about lol.
    Dolfan058 likes this.

Global Posts
    142 Global Posts

Default AW: Best Anti-Theft App for Nexus 4

And what can you do of you root your phone?
    Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Global Posts
    381 Global Posts

Default Best Anti-Theft App for Nexus 4

I have been pretty happy with SeekDroid. I have never lost my phone but the app functioned as advertised in all my tests.

Cheers
    Android Powered Human

ROM
    Stock ROM / Rooted Kernel

Default Re: AW: Best Anti-Theft App for Nexus 4

Quote Originally Posted by JohnDoes View Post
    And what can you do of you root your phone?
    Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express
    While rooted, many programs will let you bury the anti-theft portion of the program within the OS, making it undetectable to the naked eye. This is beneficial if your phone gets stolen by a moron because it will not appear to have any anti-theft software on it. However, if your phone is stolen by anyone that is competent with phones they'll already know to wipe the phone and remove any software that was on it. Rooting will also let you perform more low level wiping functions remotely through SMS or through the vendor's website. This is beneficial for keeping your data secured in the event of a lost or stolen phone.

If I've helped, feel free to hit that "THANKS" button. It will make my day!

I've adopted Cerberus, which gives you 5 devices on a lifetime license fee of < US$5.00. Many many great features, granted the device connects to a network, any network. E.g. takes a pic and sends it to you if someone tries to unlock the phone. Worth trying.

They have an installer which you can sideload which disguises the app so that a casual thief wouldn't see it, looks like a system service.
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.
    Thanked by 2:

Cerberus is by far the best android anti-theft app.

Thanked by:
  9. Thread Author  Thread Author    #9  

Quote Originally Posted by N3RDKING View Post
    Big "The Weeknd" Fan. His trilogy comes out the same day as the Nexus 4....like it was meant to be.

Edit: I've never had an android phone, so I can't actually help with what you asked about lol.
    Even though I have all his mixtapes, I'm still buying the Trilogy. While I was disappointed he didn't play XO / The Host (easily my favorite song of his, next to The Zone... obviously), he was still amazing in concert. Highly recommend seeing him live if you haven't already. Just don't get too trashed like I did and lose your phone while recording the concert (which none of the videos uploaded to Google+... WTF?!)
    N3RDKING likes this.
    Zee

Global Posts
    639 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by blitz118 View Post

Even though I doubt I'll ever lose my phone or have it stolen, I'm getting this app because it's so damn cool. Great for party tricks. "Go ahead, take my phone, I'll know where you are. Watch I'll show you"
    Dolfan058 likes this.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Wow, this thing is feature-loaded, definitely kicks the crap out of "Where's My Droid". I'm buying it as soon as I get back to the States and installing it on my Nexus 4 (when I get it) and my Nexus 7. Thanks for the recommendation!

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

Go Cerberus or get lost! No, really, Cerberus is pretty awesome. It works amazingly.

Actually phonelocator pro is the best, and the original.

Cerburus is nothing but a copy, with less features.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjcks View Post
    Actually phonelocator pro is the best, and the original.

Cerburus is nothing but a copy, with less features.

What kind of features does phonelocator pro have that Cerberus doesn't?

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk 2

might use my $25 play card on this.

I have been using Lookout: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=search_result
    And also Android Lost: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...=search_result

Both seem good, plus they're free. Although looking at Cerberus I can see it has way more features - the sim card checker and the take a picture/send a message options look great. I might switch now I've read up on it!
    Last edited by russd1979; 11-10-2012 at 05:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera View Post
    Possibly, but the reviewing community doesn't seem to agree. Also, why is it not compatible with a Nexus 7? I prefer 1 app for all of my devices.

I'll add that the developer has been very responsive. According to some of the reviews, that doesn't seem to be the case with plp.
    Maybe because its a phone locator. Lol

I've watched over the years, phonelocator thinks of a feature, applies it and Cerberus copy it - usually badly.

PLP is the original, top support and constantly trying to improve and add features instead of copying the competition.

I believe its also cheaper too I think.

Cerberus doesn't even work on my HTC ONE X, lock codes get sent but it doesn't lock to passcode, a simple Swype unlocks it.

But, I'm not bitter by choices - I may give Cerberus another test run just to check.

19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

Maybe because its a phone locator. Lol

I've watched over the years, phonelocator thinks of a feature, applies it and Cerberus copy it - usually badly.

PLP is the original, top support and constantly trying to improve and add features instead of copying the competition.

Cerberus doesn't even work on my HTC ONE X, lock codes get sent but it doesn't lock to passcode, a simple Swype unlocks it.

But, I'm not bitter by choices - I may give Cerberus another test run just to check.

I took a look at PhoneLocatorPro, and it's got a pretty similar feature set. I like that it automatically locks the phone when an unregistered SIM card is placed. Didn't see Cerberus have that feature, although Cerberus does seem to send you an alert of some kind when an unauthorized SIM is used (ideally it'd be location, a picture, and details on the unauthorized SIM. That'd be awesome to give to the cops).

Still leaning towards Cerberus, specifically because it has tablet support. But this has been a good thread with lots of options thrown around so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolfan058 View Post
    I took a look at PhoneLocatorPro, and it's got a pretty similar feature set. I like that it automatically locks the phone when an unregistered SIM card is placed. Didn't see Cerberus have that feature, although Cerberus does seem to send you an alert of some kind when an unauthorized SIM is used (ideally it'd be location, a picture, and details on the unauthorized SIM. That'd be awesome to give to the cops).

Still leaning towards Cerberus, specifically because it has tablet support. But this has been a good thread with lots of options thrown around so far.
    PL sends the alerts too, call logs, photo, location etc too

Even uploading captured photos, audio captures to dropbox for you as backups

Like I said, PL added all this stuff first

Dolfan058 likes this.

Cerberus is actually the cheaper of the two. its only by like $1 and change but it is cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by emcdannell View Post
    Cerberus is actually the cheaper of the two. its only by like $1 and change but it is cheaper.
    Ok, it was last time I looked. Lol

but PL is the original, it does have more features and has a professional looking interface and web tracking services.

Cerburus is rather basic in design, for app and web tracking (and it fails to work properly on the ONE X :/)

But, have a look at both - choices are good for everyone I suppose.

I may even have another look at cerburus to compare.

Last edited by chrisjcks; 11-10-2012 at 10:07 AM.

This is what I use. It has anything you will ever need in a anti theft app. Worth checking out. Have on my nexus 7 and galaxy nexus.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Global Posts
    50 Global Posts

I use Webroot SecureAnywhere Mobile Premier. It requires your password to uninstall it and it locks the phone if the sim card is changed, requiring your password to unlock it.

Hmm, I think I may go with PhoneLocator Pro instead of Cerberus. PhoneLocator Pro has the option to have the photos uploaded to a dropbox account rather than being emailed which means the thief wouldn't see email alerts coming through. Plus it seems to have some nice features and the root install seems simpler than Cerberus.
    Last edited by russd1979; 11-10-2012 at 04:24 PM.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast