Switching from iphone 4s to Nexus 4

Lochtide

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi there, currently I am really debating selling my 4s and buying the N4 - the cost will be pretty much equivalent thats not a factor for me.

Has anyone here switched from the 4/4s to a nexus device and really regretted it? I am concerned because the 4s fits so nicely into my pocket, its easy to carry around. the N4 is freaken huge, I still don't get how most guys would keep that thing in their pocket. Also, the icons on the android system just look... well tacky and "cheaper" compared to the icons on OS6, not a huge deal but still one for someone considering the aesthetic appeal of the two phones. Also, texting on the android seems much more uglier and less refined that it does on the OS. So basically, I always wanted a new nexus device, but through experience, has anyone here really regretted changing to an android device from iphone due to the loss of aesthetic appeal of the operating system? Are there any decent roms that can change the looks of the android icons/ texting center etc...
thanks!

Last edited:

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Can't speak to the aesthetic appeal - my only iOS device is an iPod Touch Gen 2, and it's only capable of one UI with static icons and no widgets. When I go back to use it, which is rarely, I find it aesthetically unappealing. I do appreciate the sheer simplicity of things like the settings menus, but that's mostly because they are so sparse.

One major deciding factor that often goes unmentioned is how you communicate with your circle of friends electronically. Do you use a lot of iOS-specific methods like FaceTime, MobileMe messaging, and the like? Because both you and your friends are going to have to switch over to cross-platform third party tools to accomplish the same tasks.

iboost79#AC

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
Hi there, currently I am really debating selling my 4s and buying the N4 - the cost will be pretty much equivalent thats not a factor for me.

Has anyone here switched from the 4/4s to a nexus device and really regretted it? I am concerned because the 4s fits so nicely into my pocket, its easy to carry around. the N4 is freaken huge, I still don't get how most guys would keep that thing in their pocket. Also, the icons on the android system just look... well tacky and "cheaper" compared to the icons on OS6, not a huge deal but still one for someone considering the aesthetic appeal of the two phones. Also, texting on the android seems much more uglier and less refined that it does on the OS. So basically, I always wanted a new nexus device, but through experience, has anyone here really regretted changing to an android device from iphone due to the loss of aesthetic appeal of the operating system? Are there any decent roms that can change the looks of the android icons/ texting center etc...
thanks!

I have both the Galaxy Nexus gt-i9250 and iPhone 4s and use them for work and personal, respectively. And I plan on scrapping both for the LG Nexus 4. Why? First, I love everything there is to love with iOS and Apple design of the iPhone. There's no company that can match the build and design. Second, I live in the Google cloud. Gmail, Calendar, Drive, Picasa (Google+ albums), RSS feeds, News, YouTube, Local, etc. And finally, I am a Mac user at work, home, and on the go. But cloud computing has really changed the way I use my devices. And I'm going to scrap all of my iOS devices for a Nexus 4 and Nexus 7 + 3G. I'm willing to sacrifice my iTunes music syncing and quality of iOS apps for a more polished Android 4.2 OS in Jelly Bean. When I was using my Galaxy Nexus, things worked without having additional apps. For example. I have 2-3 public transportation apps on my iPhone 4s. On my Galaxy Nexus, Google maps had all my public transit baked into the maps app, even the bus lines (I live in NYC). With Google Now and personalized cards, I really don't need several apps I had on my iPhone. I don't need an app to track travel plans or tracking packages or Yelp or movie times apps. Don't need Wiki apps or WolframAlpha apps anymore. Literally, 1/3 of my iOS apps were irrelevant before downloading a single app on my Galaxy Nexus.

I don't plan on rooting or customizing the phone. I have other devices I hack into. Will I miss the iOS ecosystem? Absolutely. But I know now that Android is light years ahead in the operating system than Apple is. And I'm sure that's one of the contributing reasons Apple canned the VP of iOS recently.

TinaVane

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Oh lawd i did not know all this can somebody tell me is this 100% true...i also heard androids does not have group chat sms ?!?!?!

Syrential

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
6.) I do miss Garageband.
THAT. The only thing that I'll miss as well.
But then again my iPhone 4 was too slow to play and record something at the same time, so I have mixed feelings. And I still have some hope in Google that they'll work more on the Jam with Chrome app and release it for Android.

saichick04

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I went from an iPhone 4s to a GN. And honestly I regretted it.. I loved the look and feel of the Nexus but that battery was so horrible. But who knows how the Nexus 4 will be. Another thing is the new.Nexus isn't really a top tier smartphone or at least that's what they say. There aren't advertising it as one. The new Nexus looks huge but pretty awesome. If you could hold on to your iPhone 4s and still get a Nexus to try out that's what I'd do. I wouldn't sell or trade my iPhone for it...well wouldn't trade again lol.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Android Central Forums

iboost79#AC

Mar 5, 2010
Visit site
I went from an iPhone 4s to a GN. And honestly I regretted it.. I loved the look and feel of the Nexus but that battery was so horrible. But who knows how the Nexus 4 will be. Another thing is the new.Nexus isn't really a top tier smartphone or at least that's what they say. There aren't advertising it as one. The new Nexus looks huge but pretty awesome. If you could hold on to your iPhone 4s and still get a Nexus to try out that's what I'd do. I wouldn't sell or trade my iPhone for it...well wouldn't trade again lol.

Stock battery on the GT-19250 was pretty bad. I ended up buying the OEM extended battery. I would average 10 hours or less with moderate to heavy use with the extended battery. I'm hoping the Nexus 4 will last at least 12 hours.

saichick04

May 12, 2010
Visit site
I bought the extended battery too lol. I hope the Nexus 4 is better too!

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Oh lawd i did not know all this can somebody tell me is this 100% true...i also heard androids does not have group chat sms ?!?!?!

Natively? No.

There are a few third party SMS apps that do, like Go SMS Pro.

I don't know a lot about them, because I use a cross-platform communication system meant for communication with large groups of people that supports attachments and can be composed, sent, received, and read seamlessly between my Android phone, Android tablet, iPod Touch, Windows box at work, and Linux box at home. It allows me to communicate with every smartphone or computer on the planet.

It's called "email". :D

zapfrog

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Having made the switch myself from iOS to Android here's my two cents;

I haven't really noticed icons looking worse than iOS, look about the same to me.

Yes backing up becomes a pain now unless Google adds this feature.

For my wife and I who have already started down the road of everything Google our calanders, notes and stuff seem to sync automatically. She makes a change to the calander for the business and poof there it is on my phone/calander.

Widgets, widgets, widgets, my wife and I love the widget factor and tinkering with layouts, customization, etc. just can't beat it!

The only real slow down I've noticed to smoothness on my GS3 is probably because I've got Live Wallpapers, a launcher and a bunch of other crap loaded on it. But really to anyone who picks it up to play with it they really don't notice.

Seems as though everyday my wife and I learn something new or some sort of trick with the phone.

Lochtide

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
yea, those are all good points... I realize the N4 will be faster and more powerful than my 4s.. but really I don't plan to play games or watch movies on my cell anyways.

The 4s has the perfect size, easy to transport and carry around, and the screen isn't too small for my eyes anyways. Lugging around a big phone like the N4, or Galaxy s3 always seemed like it would be a problem or a nuisance. I want to try the new 4.2, it looks nice and has some good features, better maps and all that, i guess widgets are a cool upgrade as well.

Basically, yes iphone is plain, and less powerful, but its a better size and all its icons/apps have some pretty good looks. Basically, I can get maybe 2.5 days on my iphone 4s - i only text and read emails, quite often but not all day. I dont care for games on it or videos. If the N4 cant go more than 1 day with only texting/email, then its a no go for me. It should at least do 2 days with moderate texting and email I hope??

Jnorton2724

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
yea, those are all good points... I realize the N4 will be faster and more powerful than my 4s.. but really I don't plan to play games or watch movies on my cell anyways.

The 4s has the perfect size, easy to transport and carry around, and the screen isn't too small for my eyes anyways. Lugging around a big phone like the N4, or Galaxy s3 always seemed like it would be a problem or a nuisance. I want to try the new 4.2, it looks nice and has some good features, better maps and all that, i guess widgets are a cool upgrade as well.

Basically, yes iphone is plain, and less powerful, but its a better size and all its icons/apps have some pretty good looks. Basically, I can get maybe 2.5 days on my iphone 4s - i only text and read emails, quite often but not all day. I dont care for games on it or videos. If the N4 cant go more than 1 day with only texting/email, then its a no go for me. It should at least do 2 days with moderate texting and email I hope??

The screen size you get use to very fast and if you do enjoy watching videos on it you'll love having it a bit larger. I went from an iPhone to a larger screen previous to my GS3 now and I wouldn't want anything smaller then 4.3 inches now. Just about getting use to it. I honestly can't believe I had a 3.5 inch display previously....so tiny :(

reign831

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site

Are you not near a plug when you go to sleep at night? Battery life is great and all, but for me, anything that lasts 1 full day is enough for me.

As far as the size of the device goes, even though it will seem like a big difference from the get-go, after a week or so you'll forget all about it.

I went from the iPhone 4 to a Galaxy Nexus which I thought was pretty big at the time, but it quickly go very used to it (I'm currently using a Note 2, which is huge, but I've gotten mostly used to it, even though I've decided to return it to T-Mobile within the return period to go with the Nexus 4).

All in all, don't be afraid of the size or battery, both will be just fine.

DFloro

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Exactly what I'm going to do: Hang on to my iPhone 4 on AT&T for now and give the Nexus 4 a tryout on T-Mobile's Monthly4G plan ($30 for 30 days/5GB). I can return the phone to Google if I don't like it and owe nobody anything else. If I like Android 4.2 but not the h/w, I can get an HTC One X+ LTE instead, since I'm eligible for an AT&T upgrade.

Csquared

Jun 14, 2010
Visit site
Im leaving the Iphone5 for the Nexus4. I had the NS4G and loved it but wanted to try IOS and now know I want to stick with Android. IOS was not as good as everyone makes it out to be.

tomjdavies

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm hopping across from a 4S to a Nexus 4. Honestly, I think its time to jump the fence. Google are doing some pretty cool stuff - yes, iOS6 is a bloody well polished OS but fundamentally, it hasn't changed from the first iPhone (2G) that I had all those years ago.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana