TMobile Nexus 4 usage after ETF

StephenAaron

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
I have read posts from various people saying that they started a new contract with TMobile to get the Nexus 4 for $199, subsequently cancelled the contract, paid the $200 ETF and are now using their Nexus 4 just fine. Does anyone have any experience with doing this? Seems like a faster way to get a Nexus 4 than waiting for Google to fix their supply issues. If you do this, can you then use a TMobile prepaid SIM in the same Nexus you just bought on contract? And if so, couldn't you wait for a sale on the Note 2 and do the same thing? Do they make you pay the balance of the phone? You could just start a new contract, cancel 2 days later and have a much cheaper phone. Anyone actually done something like this? Thanks.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I cannot speak for tmo specifically but to the best of my knowledge your imei number will be blocked UNTIL you pay the bill. So lets say this

you go and buy it on contract, then the next day you cancel the contract and walk out.
The next day you try to start up the prepaid, your phone will be blocked.
the next day you go and pay your EFT
the next day you go to start up the prepaid, it will fire up without issue.

My point is they generally block the phone until it is paid up

StephenAaron

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
So, even still...once you pay the ETF, you are out a total of $400 and you have a working Nexus 4 or ,theoretically, a Note 2? That still seems like a better deal than waiting for weeks for the Google stock...

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Theoretically that is correct. I am surprised that the ETF is so low....i think verizon is 350

It's probably because they do not offer the iPhone. Both Verizon and Sprint upped their ETF to $350 when they started carrying the iPhone. Sprint in particular has an ETF of $200 for devices sold prior to October 2011, which coincides with the iPhone 4s release last year.

jeremydc

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I was very tempted at doing this several times as my local Tmo score still has a few in stock but I can't bring myself to do it. I'll just be patient when Google restocks the N4.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I suspect you may also be obligated to maintain the account for some short period of time and pay for that service at post-paid rates. That would get you service for that period of time, of course, but also increase your out-of-pocket expense for the phone if you have no interest in using the service.

cnguyen0320

Aug 10, 2012
Visit site
They may still make you pay the difference. It really depends on which rep you talk to. The easy ones will let you pay the ETF. Good luck

Burleson90

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I talked to a store today and called 611 and was told I would need to pay the remainder balance of the phone plus the 200 ETF bringing my total to 700! Plus the couple days of service. i will be returning it today and buying outright for 500. about 100 more than the play store once you add the taxes and shipping. Just be careful about this. I'm willing to pay the 500 outright price cuz now that I have played with it I love it and don't wanna go back to my cheap phone. But as stated earlier just be really careful about this

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
I talked to a store today and called 611 and was told I would need to pay the remainder balance of the phone plus the 200 ETF bringing my total to 700! Plus the couple days of service. i will be returning it today and buying outright for 500. about 100 more than the play store once you add the taxes and shipping. Just be careful about this. I'm willing to pay the 500 outright price cuz now that I have played with it I love it and don't wanna go back to my cheap phone. But as stated earlier just be really careful about this

What? Sorry, I don't doubt that was what you were told, but that makes no sense whatsoever. The $200 ETF is to reimburse them for the subsidy, it's not supposed to be in addition to a reimbursement of the subsidy.

corance

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Now that I'm not a teenager and starting to believe things my parents told me, this seems like a bad idea. If it seems to good to be true, it probably is. Especially if you have to do some less than honest moves to get what you want. Yes, it may be in the fine print that you can cancel yada yada yada, but you guys know it wasn't intended for people to do this to get a phone. The reason Verizon stopped. My group of friends call this a "dope fiend move". Do what you have to to get what you want. Even if you have to weasel and maneuver to get it. If it works for you that's good I guess, but if it doesn't don't be surprised. I think deep down you know it isn't the right thing to do. Maybe not illegal, but not right. I bet no one is telling the TMobile sales person "so yeah, I'm just signing this to get this phone and then I'll cancel as soon as I get home so I can beat you on the price." I bet you're not. We all know 500 is over priced but if that's the price they choose, then that's their business. Whew, glad I got that out. Let the complaining and justifying begin!

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
What does the ETF mean as in Early Termination Fee you don't get? exactly what it says, not pay back because it is being subsidized, you still have to pay for phone and since you canceled a contract with T-Mobile they charge you Early Termination Fee, that fee is the consequences for canceling a binding contract.

You may ponder because you have 15 days I believe you may have to change your mind about the contract but you still have to pay the rest of the phone and usage fees, maybe activation too.

StephenAaron

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Now that I'm not a teenager and starting to believe things my parents told me, this seems like a bad idea. If it seems to good to be true, it probably is. Especially if you have to do some less than honest moves to get what you want. Yes, it may be in the fine print that you can cancel yada yada yada, but you guys know it wasn't intended for people to do this to get a phone. The reason Verizon stopped. My group of friends call this a "dope fiend move". Do what you have to to get what you want. Even if you have to weasel and maneuver to get it. If it works for you that's good I guess, but if it doesn't don't be surprised. I think deep down you know it isn't the right thing to do. Maybe not illegal, but not right. I bet no one is telling the TMobile sales person "so yeah, I'm just signing this to get this phone and then I'll cancel as soon as I get home so I can beat you on the price." I bet you're not. We all know 500 is over priced but if that's the price they choose, then that's their business. Whew, glad I got that out. Let the complaining and justifying begin!

I don't disagree with you...I was at first surprised that it might actually work, but I think it's a little too shady for me...

fredwardnelson

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site

I tried to tell everyone this one the first thread about this issue. That's correct. Unless you get someone who doesn't hold you to that standard. I say just wait, it will make a nice Christmas present.

AbsoluteZerow

Jul 12, 2012
Visit site
So, even still...once you pay the ETF, you are out a total of $400 and you have a working Nexus 4 or ,theoretically, a Note 2? That still seems like a better deal than waiting for weeks for the Google stock...

OK, I hope the people thinking the ETF is actually not just $200. If you look closely at the receipt or talk to a knowledgeable rep on the phone, you will see that you have to actually pay the unlocked price ALONG with the ETF. The subsidized price is $199. The unlocked price is $499. So, when you get your statement with the ETF fee, expect to see a nice $299+ charge for the phone as well. If you don't believe me, look at your receipt for the Nexus 4 and read the fine print. Do people really think they can screw a phone carrier by canceling the contract and keeping the phone for $400, when the carrier is selling it unlocked for $499?

The phone hasn't been out long enough for people to get the final statement in the mail/email. I'd be curious to see if anyone doing this is actually making out with a Nexus 4 and is only paying $400, instead of the full $500, ALONG with the ETF fee. If people want the phone for a fair price, just get it from Google when its in stock. Its hilarious how impatient people are when a new device comes out... I think of the Walmart stampedes when I think of how people are reacting on this forum about the Nexus 4. It's just a phone, and so far for me, its been a crappy phone, has yellow tint, buzzing ear piece... but... awesome at everything else... :\

tpd15

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I just called T-Mo to see what the deal is with the one that I bought from them under this somewhat fishy scheme. I asked about cancellation, but didn't outright ask them if I can just buy the phone. Neither person I spoke to knew definitively what happens (they even said so as that wasn't their specific area), but both said that if I cancel after the grace period I have to pay the ETF and return the phone.

Also, the order invoice that came with my phone specifically says: "Comments: Please note if you cancel your plan within the cancellation period, you must return your device or you will be charged the suggested retail price."

Huh. I have 9 days to go...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tress