My new S24+ is a cool side-phone, but 2 reasons it can't be my daily driver...

clownin72

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I just got a s24 plus and I'm having second thoughts on keeping this over my S22 Ultra. The plus just feels like an Iphone pro max clone to me and not really an upgrade. Not sure its worth trading in for the ultra. Anybody in the same boat?
Sort of. I was pretty hesitant about sending my s22 ultra trade in back. I feel like I've lost alot of screen real estate but in reality it's not really that much. I for 1 like the lack of sharp corners and enjoy the lighter experience with most of the perks I use over the ultra except the best of the best camera.

kolyan2k

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
The only duplicated app that I have is Samsung browser. Everything else I use either Samsung because they are better, or Google and duplicated apps are either un-installed or disabled

Emig5m

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
Are you saying you have to change it to LDAC every time you connect?
No. My point is if both devices support LDAC then it should default to the best codec right from the start without having to dig through settings which some people might not know how to do or they might not even know that LDAC even exists and is superior. Why default to a crap codec that limits premium gear when they support a much superior codec? Again, its akin to buying a Lamborghini and it only runs on 2 cylinders off the showroom and you have to dig through settings to activate the rest of the cylinders, doesn't make sense. Why not take it a step even more backwards and have them run in mono out of the box and have to activate developers options to change to stereo.....see how that doesn't make any sense?

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
No. My point is if both devices support LDAC then it should default to the best codec right from the start without having to dig through settings which some people might not know how to do or they might not even know that LDAC even exists and is superior. Why default to a crap codec that limits premium gear when they support a much superior codec? Again, its akin to buying a Lamborghini and it only runs on 2 cylinders off the showroom and you have to dig through settings to activate the rest of the cylinders, doesn't make sense. Why not take it a step even more backwards and have them run in mono out of the box and have to activate developers options to change to stereo.....see how that doesn't make any sense?
It's a non issue for me. If you know about and appreciate advanced codec options, you probably aren't the type that has to look far to take advantage of the options. Using LDAC as an example, i've only had to do that once in the Sony software. My bigger gripe is to have to go into developer settings to change to a higher bit rate in LDAC only for the setting to drop back done after a restart.

Last edited:

edubfromktown

Sep 18, 2020
Visit site
I agree with you, and have avoided most Samsung apps for the same reason. But some of them are just too good to not use. Notably notes and smart switch
Haven't tried Notes (I use Google Keep everywhere... locked down via Google Advanced Protection Program with dual authentication keys).

Good Lock, Secure Folder, Gallery, Expert RAW camera and Adobe Lightroom integration are all superb.

After having used Gboard for years, I sort of like the change to Samsung Keyboard too.

All of the other Samsung apps are disabled or removed via an ADB script.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
It's a non issue for me. If you know about and appreciate advanced codec options, you probably aren't the type that has to look far to take advantage of the options. Using LDAC as an example, i've only had to do that once in the Sony software. My bigger gripe is to have to go into developer settings to change to a higher bit rate in LDAC only for the setting to drop back done after a restart.

Btw, anybody, with regards to the Bluetooth Audio Codec's, in: Developer options > Bluetooth Audio Codec > 'Trigger Bluetooth Audio Codec Selection'... where it also says: 'Gray-out means not supported by phone or headset'.... why aren't we I able to choose any of the other Codec's, even though they aren't grayed-out?

My S23+ (running android 13 - One UI 5.1) has the blue radio-button lit @ SBC, with none of the other codec choices grayed-out, yet none of the other codec choices can be clicked on. :unsure:

Screenshot_20240203_160622_Settings[1].jpg
. . . or do the other codec's choices become enabled once the phone is connected to a headset that supports one or more of the other codec's?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
Btw, anybody, with regards to the Bluetooth Audio Codec's, in: Developer options > Bluetooth Audio Codec > 'Trigger Bluetooth Audio Codec Selection'... where it also says: 'Gray-out means not supported by phone or headset'.... why aren't we I able to choose any of the other Codec's, even though they aren't grayed-out?

My S23+ (running android 13 - One UI 5.1) has the blue radio-button lit @ SBC, with none of the other codec choices grayed-out, yet none of the other codec choices can be clicked on. :unsure:

View attachment 359554
. . . or do the other codec's choices become enabled once the phone is connected to a headset that supports one or more of the other codec's?
You'll need to connect a Bluetooth headset that supports those codecs.

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site

View attachment 359554
Default is either AAC and SBC.

If you connect to Samsung Buds, then SSC is activated.

If you connect with buds that have LDAC (Sony, Technics, etc), then you can access LDAC.

Aptx will NEVER light up, even if you connect something with the aptx codec.

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
You'll need to connect a Bluetooth headset that supports those codecs.
Oh! Thanks Laura! ;) That's just what I was starting to wonder :unsure: as I swyped that last sentence.

If you connect with buds that have LDAC (Sony, Technics, etc), then you can access LDAC.

Thanks Laura & MoreDef !;-)
Hmmm. Still can't change off the SBC :unsure:
Oh wait! I just realized that I turned on headset + BT from laptop youtube! 1706998278562.png
Will switch to phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Laura Knotek

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site

. . . Hmmm. Now with LDAC headset on, when I click on LDAC at 'Trigger Bluetooth Audio Codec Selection'... the list instantly disappears and blinks back to the main Developer options & Bluetooth Audio Codec settings—where it shows: 'Streaming LDAC'' & 'Bluetooth Audio Sample Rate: 'Streaming: 44.1 kHz' & (two category spaces down): 'Bluetooth Audio LDAC Codec: Playback Quality' (in dark gray)... but not a quality.
And when does that, it flashes from the 'Trigger Bluetooth Audio Codec Selection' settings— back to Bluetooth Audio Codec, (where it shows 'Streaming LDAC'), before you can actually see the radio-button next to 'LDAC' go blue; and even though the Bluetooth Audio Codec is showing 'Streaming LDAC', when you click again on Bluetooth Audio Codec... the 'Trigger Bluetooth Audio Codec Selection' setting has reverted back on AAC !—again, even though it's showing: 'Streaming LDAC'' & 'Bluetooth Audio Sample Rate: 'Streaming: 44.1 kHz' & (two category spaces down): 'Bluetooth Audio LDAC Codec: Playback Quality' (in dark gray)... but not a quality.

. . . So it keeps reverting back to 'AAC', after anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes. Which doesn't actually sound any different than when it's showing: 'Streaming LDAC'.
Wonder why. :unsure:

Screenshot_20240203_171638_Settings[1].jpg

. . . then after a few minutes, it reverts back to 'AAC' (which btw, does sound better than SBC):
Screenshot_20240203_171832_Settings[1].jpg

. . . looks like the Bluetooth Audio Codec > 'Trigger Bluetooth Audio Codec Selection' settings are malfunctioning on my S23+, for some reason unbeknown to me :unsure: , (while only allowing SBC or AAC to light-up when tapping the blue radio-buttons).
And, when you tap LDAC — the 'Trigger Bluetooth Audio Codec Selection' list instantly disappears and blinks back to the main Developer options & Bluetooth Audio Codec settings, before you can actually see the radio-button next to 'LDAC' go blue; moreover, even though the Bluetooth Audio Codec is showing 'Streaming LDAC', it keeps reverting back to AAC !
My apologies for repeating all that. :censored:

Attempted to edit for clarity. 🫣

Last edited:

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
. . . Hmmm. Now with LDAC headset on, when I click on LDAC, the 'Trigger Bluetooth Audio Codec Selection' list instantly disappears and blinks back to the main Developer options & Bluetooth Audio Codec settings—and before you can actually see the radio-button next to 'LDAC' go blue; and even though the Bluetooth Audio Codec is showing 'Streaming LDAC', when you click again on Bluetooth Audio Codec....it's on AAC !—where it then shows: 'Streaming LDAC'' and where the Bluetooth Audio Sample Rate: 'Streaming: 44.1 kHz' .... and two category spaces down showing " Bluetooth Audio LDAC Codec: Playback Quality".
. . . but it keeps reverting back to 'AAC', after anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes. Which doesn't actually sound any different than when it's showing: 'Streaming LDAC'.
Wonder why. :unsure:

View attachment 359562

. . . then after a few minutes, it reverts back to 'AAC' (which btw, does sound better than SBC):
View attachment 359563

. . . looks like the Bluetooth Audio Codec > 'Trigger Bluetooth Audio Codec Selection' settings are malfunctioning on my S23+, for some reason unbeknown to me :unsure: , (while only allowing SBC or AAC to light-up when tapping the blue radio-buttons). And because when you tap LDAC — the 'Trigger Bluetooth Audio Codec Selection' list instantly disappears and blinks back to the main Developer options & Bluetooth Audio Codec settings, before you can actually see the radio-button next to 'LDAC' go blue; and moreover, even though the Bluetooth Audio Codec is showing 'Streaming LDAC', it keeps reverting back to AAC ! My apologies for repeating all that. 🤐
1)Connect your Bluetooth device
2)Go to Bluetooth settings to see all your connected devices
3)select the gear icon of your earbuds
4)toggle LDAC option on

This will prevent it from turning back to AAC

winmod21

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
1)Connect your Bluetooth device
2)Go to Bluetooth settings to see all your connected devices
3)select the gear icon of your earbuds
4)toggle LDAC option on

This will prevent it from turning back to AAC
That worked! (y)
Blue radio-button lights-up at LDAC and stays at LDAC.
Bluetooth Audi Sample Rate: Streaming 96.0 kHz
Bluetooth Audo Bits per Sample: Streaming 32 bits/sample
Bluetooth Audio LDAC Codec: Playback Quality — defaults to: "Best Effort (Adaptive Bit Rate)"
. . . what do you typ use here? The "Best Effort" or one of the "Optimized" or the "Balanced"?

Really preciate your help, @MoreDef !

Screenshot_20240203_183002_Settings[1].jpg

. . . And now, the Good Folks at Hijacked Threads Are Us , return you to your regularly scheduled thread programming . . . with our sincere Apologies!;)

Last edited:

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
That worked! (y)
Blue radio-button lights-up at LDAC and stays at LDAC.
Bluetooth Audi Sample Rate: Streaming 96.0 kHz
Bluetooth Audo Bits per Sample: Streaming 32 bits/sample
Bluetooth Audio LDAC Codec: Playback Quality — defaults to: "Best Effort (Adaptive Bit Rate)"
. . . what do you typ use here? The "Best Effort" or one of the "Optimized" or the "Balanced"?

Really preciate your help, @MoreDef !
I keep it at "best effort", but to be honest, I haven't played with that setting to much. Glad everything worked out!