My new S24+ is a cool side-phone, but 2 reasons it can't be my daily driver...

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
I wouldn't know, honestly. I used to stress about battery and have all the apps. Now, I just put it on extreme battery saver where it only charges to 80%, and I just charge throughout the day when i see it hit around 50%. I can charge at my desk, at home, in the car, so barring me getting kidnapped, there's really no reason for my phone to die throughout the day.

In terms of consumption, it's done a lot better in terms of idle battery drain, losing 1-3 percent overnight since I don't while I sleep. When in use, it's the typical 15-20% per hour of use, but for me, that's because I'm listening to YouTube videos while browsing chrome and shopping on Amazon. Streaming Qobuz at high quality is considerably less of a battery drain per hour.

I wish I could give you hard numbers, but being that is my side phone for wifi stuff, my data would be skewed due to the S24+ not having to bear 100% of my phone activities.

Reactions: fresca2u

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Is this why wireless earbuds always sound like crap to me? I finally upgraded to the Buds2 Pro from the Buds Pro and they sound like totally crap still. I have a pair of full sized Sony's that use LDAC and they sound superb, however, why isn't this the "default setting"? Top notch headphones that support LDAC, top notch phone that supports LDAC....WHY ISN'T LDAC THE DAMNED DEFAULT SETTING!? Sheesh...still in 2024. :rolleyes::unsure: I remember bluetooth in my 5th gen Camaro was totally useless as well...sounded absolutely horrendous compared to everything else and probably due to crappy codecs. Shouldn't the push to wireless and bluetooth try to at least thrive for the best and most lossless codecs to use for everything? I mean, a lot of people complained about the loss of a headphone jack, at least make the wireless experience top-notch! Finally I just discovered that there's a paid version of LDAC for the PC now. Damnit...top of the line hardware should just default to LDAC. Why are very lossy and crappy performing codecs still being used on top-notch hardware??? And when all the devices support the best codec, why isn't it the default setting??? Jeez.... Like buying a Lamborghini and it only runs on two cylinders off the showroom....
Are you saying you have to change it to LDAC every time you connect?

Windroid 2483

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
2) repetitive and redundant apps. I've got so multiple messaging apps, multiple app stores, multiple browsers and multiple calendars and clocks. It just feels like buying a Samsung isn't the same as buying an android but more like when you buy a Samsung, you're also buying an android. It's two separate things, as opposed to one cohesive unit or ecosystem.
Why not just ignore the Samsung apps? If they can't be uninstalled, you can put them into a folder called "Unused Samsung apps".

Reactions: MoreDef

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Why not just ignore the Samsung apps? If they can't be uninstalled, you can put them into a folder called "Unused Samsung apps".
I do. I have a "Samsung" folder, a "Google" folder and a "useless" folder, where I put Microsoft stuff, smartswitch, Samsung wallet, one drive, Samsung music, etc etc...

gomezz

May 8, 2021
Visit site
so barring me getting kidnapped, there's really no reason for my phone to die throughout the day.
If getting kidnapped or perhaps there being some other reason for being away from your normal charging facilities such as say a long weekend camping in the outback is why it is perhaps better to pack a feature phone as a backup that can go days even weeks on end without needing charging.

(actually I have my old Windows smartphone that can serve for this as it can go a couple of weeks without charge if I keep it in Airplane mode)

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I do. I have a "Samsung" folder, a "Google" folder and a "useless" folder, where I put Microsoft stuff, smartswitch, Samsung wallet, one drive, Samsung music, etc etc...
This is the problem with "bloatware" and "useless" apps, it's subjective.

You consider Smartswitch useless, I consider it a prime reason to buy a Samsung phone over anything else.

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
You're absolutely 100% correct. I personally have no idea for half the stuff, but that's because I'm not in the ecosystem. Other folks may love the extra stuff, but for me, it's the burden of getting a Samsung, while for you, that same thing is a benefit.

GrooveRite

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
Are you saying you have to change it to LDAC every time you connect?
LDAC if I'm not mistake is a Sony proprietary codex. So unless you have Sony headphones, you won't see it on other branded devices. I have a pair of MDR-1RBT and I get the LDAC option in settings on my Samsung devices.

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
LDAC if I'm not mistake is a Sony proprietary codex. So unless you have Sony headphones, you won't see it on other branded devices. I have a pair of MDR-1RBT and I get the LDAC option in settings on my Samsung devices.
Yes...I am aware that it is Sony....I'm asking because I don't have to set it each time I use my Sonys

Windroid 2483

Jul 21, 2023
Visit site
You're absolutely 100% correct. I personally have no idea for half the stuff, but that's because I'm not in the ecosystem. Other folks may love the extra stuff, but for me, it's the burden of getting a Samsung, while for you, that same thing is a benefit.
It's more than that. My understanding is: Most Samsung Android apps only work on Samsung tablets/smartphones. That makes the Samsung alternative to standard Android apps a poor option if you don't want to be locked into Samsung tablets/smartphones.

I don't have a Samsung. I do, however, have an iPhone and an Android tablet. I avoid the Apple apps on my iPhone, because I want apps which work on both iOS and Android.

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Yes...I am aware that it is Sony....I'm asking because I don't have to set it each time I use my Sonys
Some of these steps I've taken due to my understanding of how Sony and Samsung products act:

1) in the Sony app, prioritize sound quality
2) in the Sony app, turn of multipoint, as having that on usually means the buds will default to AAC codecs. LDAC usually only activates when it's connected to 1 device
3) connect your Sony buds to your Samsung device
4) long press on the Bluetooth menu to see all your connected devices and select your Sony buds
5) you should see an option to change the codec from AAC to LDAC

That should permanently make the connection LDAC

Reactions: Laura Knotek

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
It's more than that. My understanding is: Most Samsung Android apps only work on Samsung tablets/smartphones. That makes the Samsung alternative to standard Android apps a poor option if you don't want to be locked into Samsung tablets/smartphones.

I don't have a Samsung. I do, however, have an iPhone and an Android tablet. I avoid the Apple apps on my iPhone, because I want apps which work on both iOS and Android.
I agree with you, and have avoided most Samsung apps for the same reason. But some of them are just too good to not use. Notably notes and smart switch

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
They had this one Samsung app which they don't make anymore, which is a shame because i thought it was the coolest thing. It basically made it so that whenever you had the app open, whenever you pointed your camera at a specific image, of your choosing, it would bring up a separate image or even video of your choosing. Basically, it meant you could have random meaningless photos all around, but when you used the app and aimed it at those photos, another photo or video of your choosing would show up. The last phone that had it was the Note 10+ =(

Mike Dee

Ambassador
May 14, 2014
Visit site
Some of these steps I've taken due to my understanding of how Sony and Samsung products act:

2) in the Sony app, turn of multipoint, as having that on usually means the buds will default to AAC codecs. LDAC usually only activates when it's connected to 1 device
4) long press on the Bluetooth menu to see all your connected devices and select your Sony buds

The only thing I hate is that Samsung doesn't stay at the best bit rate even if you force it in Developer mode

edubfromktown

Sep 18, 2020
Visit site
Edit: I'm (less) grumpy about OneUI 6.1.

Google Play store login actually does work in Secure Folder, assuming you omit the @google.com at the end of login name!!!

Intune finnally created Work folder (isolated/encrypted container) for my O365 apps (which took 12+ hours for some odd reason).

S24+ performance and battery SOT are a definite improvement over S23+ however, when side by side with S23+, display colors are murky (whites have a yellow tint). Hopefully they sill release a gamma correction fix or maybe I cand mess with it at some point.

Last edited:
Reactions: MoreDef

MoreDef

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
The only thing I hate is that Samsung doesn't stay at the best bit rate even if you force it in Developer mode
Right, which is why even though I bought one, it's the lack of featured I personally find necessary aren't front and center. This phone (to me) would be perfect if it could get Google's post-photo processing,and if it could just play nice with Aptx. That would mean I wouldn't need a Pixel for the photos, a Motorola for the codec, and a Samsung for the emulation and raw power.

fjd726

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
I just got a s24 plus and I'm having second thoughts on keeping this over my S22 Ultra. The plus just feels like an Iphone pro max clone to me and not really an upgrade. Not sure its worth trading in for the ultra. Anybody in the same boat?

Laura Knotek

Moderator Captain
Jan 8, 2011
Visit site

The best phone audio to me was from LG, which doesn't make phones any longer. I use a wired DAC with my Beyerdynamic headphones and FLAC files.

Reactions: mustang7757

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dxter