Installing Adobe Flash Player on the N4

bilago

Aug 29, 2012
Visit site
I don't know why you feel the necessity to make this personal, but putting that aside, it has been over a year since Adobe confirmed flash is dead on mobile platforms. And yes, we're in an Android forum so I am clearly discussing a mobile platform, but frankly, I think flash in general is on shaky ground.

You're still missing the whole point of this thread. I think you're the only person who wants to use the mobile WAP version of a website on a 2012 super phone. For the 99.99% of everyone else, we want the full desktop web experience, which will require the use of flash since a lot of the major and popular websites still use it. It doesn't matter if flash is dead, or if Adobe stopped providing the download for it. There should always be support for flash until every website uses HTML5. By the looks of it, this won't happen for awhile since as another has posted, flash is better at certain things than what HTML5 can currently provide.

ragnarokx

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
No. I thought the context of this discussion was that of a mobile device.

You're still missing the whole point of this thread. I think you're the only person who wants to use the mobile WAP version of a website on a 2012 super phone. For the 99.99% of everyone else, we want the full desktop web experience, which will require the use of flash since a lot of the major and popular websites still use it. It doesn't matter if flash is dead, or if Adobe stopped providing the download for it. There should always be support for flash until every website uses HTML5. By the looks of it, this won't happen for awhile since as another has posted, flash is better at certain things than what HTML5 can currently provide.

I think the majority of people posting here are missing the point of this thread actually. The OP wanted to know how to get flash on his Nexus 4, not debate the current situation of HTML5 vs Flash. Back on topic folks.

I just manually installed the .apk file for the most recent version of Adobe Flash Player 11.1 for ICS, but it doesn't seem to be working, which is funny, because it worked fine on my old GNex, which was also running 4.2 Jelly Bean.

What should I do?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Exactly. Youtube is the exception because there is an app for android to play it for you.

The point is, youtube.com (the website) is still 100% based on flash (there is a HTML5 beta you can join), yet you claim only lazy/careless developers are the only ones using it. It's obvious it's not which is why there is this thread asking about flash.

A lot of videos that I watch aren't available for the mobile app, because the uploaders believed that it was bad for their viewers to watch their videos on their mobile devices for some reason. In those cases, all I needed to do was go to the desktop site, and watch the video in full screen mode.

andr0idralphie

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm using Firefox on my N4, last Android Flash installed from that archive .apk. I'm signed up for the YouTube HTML5 Trial. The latest Android Firefox supports h.264 and WebM but videos tapped on through the site still direct my browser to open YouTube.app unless I view the desktop site. YouTube videos embedded in third party sites utilize the HTML5 playback because the interface is different, especially lacking anything to tap to make the videos full screen or to view directly on YouTube.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Adobe Flash Player has had a multitude of security issues over the years ( Adobe - Security bulletins and advisories ) and introduces new ways to crash browsers with every new browser and/or operating system update.

Why would anyone want to install this on a current Android device now that Adobe has stopped supporting and updating it?

I've never been a huge fan of Apple's business model, but I think Steve Jobs hit the nail on the head when he explained why the iPad/iPhone/iEtc would never have Flash support. See Thoughts on Flash

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
Adobe Flash Player has had a multitude of security issues over the years ( Adobe - Security bulletins and advisories ) and introduces new ways to crash browsers with every new browser and/or operating system update.

Why would anyone want to install this on a current Android device now that Adobe has stopped supporting and updating it?

I've never been a huge fan of Apple's business model, but I think Steve Jobs hit the nail on the head when he explained why the iPad/iPhone/iEtc would never have Flash support. See Thoughts on Flash

People want it because it was, and still is, the dominate standard for multimedia on webpages. If you don't have it, then you don't really have a true desktop browsing experience on your phone or tablet.

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
People want it because it was, and still is, the dominate standard for multimedia on webpages. If you don't have it, then you don't really have a true desktop browsing experience on your phone or tablet.

And without a minimum 19" monitor on your phone you don't get "a true desktop browsing experience" either.

Look, this isn't about browsing experience or about right or wrong or anything else. It is about the very simple fact that ADOBE IS NO LONGER SUPPORTING FLASH FOR MOBILE DEVICES. That means that the next security flaw to be found (and, if history be your guide, there will be many) WILL NOT BE FIXED. The next browser or OS update which causes Flash player to crash devices right and left (there have been many of those as well) WILL NOT BE FIXED.

Why would Google continue to load Flash Player on any of its devices under those circumstances? Oh, and by the way, the last OS update to my Samsung Galaxy II 10.1 removed Flash support as well. One could jump to the conclusion that all vendors are dropping Flash support, probably because ADOBE IS NO LONGER SUPPORTING FLASH FOR MOBILE DEVICES.

Honestly, I just don't get the gist of this argument. There are many things in life I would like (a winning Powerball ticket would be nice) but, if ADOBE HAS KILLED FLASH PLAYER FOR MOBILE DEVICES, maybe it is time to move on, don't you think?

Antoan Arnaudov

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
While looking for a flash enabled browser I found xScope Pro. It works amazingly smooth with the desktop site versions so I recommend giving it a try. It is a paid app on the play store but it is way better than other free alternatives like Dolphin, Molphin, etc.

Flash is now more powerful than Adobe so they simply can not stop it. I think that they make a huge misstake, probably under pressure from Apple. Missing the official support from Adobe for mobile flash is no excse for not viewing the desktop site versions on N4. The separation of mobile vs desctop sites will very soon go away. N4 has a quad core processor and is fully capable of rendering desktop sites. Even Google Chrome has the option for requesting a desktop site version.

Last separation to go away is the mouse pointing device. Wondows 8 interface is already supporting touch screens so in this regard the desktop experience will move close to the mobile one.

Last edited:

FreakyLocz14

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
And without a minimum 19" monitor on your phone you don't get "a true desktop browsing experience" either.

Look, this isn't about browsing experience or about right or wrong or anything else. It is about the very simple fact that ADOBE IS NO LONGER SUPPORTING FLASH FOR MOBILE DEVICES. That means that the next security flaw to be found (and, if history be your guide, there will be many) WILL NOT BE FIXED. The next browser or OS update which causes Flash player to crash devices right and left (there have been many of those as well) WILL NOT BE FIXED.

Why would Google continue to load Flash Player on any of its devices under those circumstances? Oh, and by the way, the last OS update to my Samsung Galaxy II 10.1 removed Flash support as well. One could jump to the conclusion that all vendors are dropping Flash support, probably because ADOBE IS NO LONGER SUPPORTING FLASH FOR MOBILE DEVICES.

Honestly, I just don't get the gist of this argument. There are many things in life I would like (a winning Powerball ticket would be nice) but, if ADOBE HAS KILLED FLASH PLAYER FOR MOBILE DEVICES, maybe it is time to move on, don't you think?

Google never loaded Flash onto its devices in the first place. Adobe Flash Player is a plugin that the user chooses to download and use. There are still ways to enjoy Flash on Android devices, and the dev community will be active in keeping Flash alive on Android for as long as possible, until the day comes that HTML5 replaces Flash across the world wide web.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
In theory, it's nice that you should put your efforts towards convincing people to switch their content away from Flash.
In reality, sometimes the site you need is Flash based and your real-life options are to use Flash or not be able to access the site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tivativa