Google Voice Voicemail and t-Mobile Monthly4G not compatible?

willdogs

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
So i've run into the only problem I can find going pre-paid...

It seems that since t-mobile pre-paid doesn't provide forwarding for voicemail, I cannot use google voice for visual voicemail service. I've tried twice and it just keeps defaulting to t-mobile voicemail when people call me.

Does anyone have a work around? I only want to use Google Voice for voicemail services and my T-Mo number for incoming/outgoing calls.

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site

It seems that since t-mobile pre-paid doesn't provide forwarding for voicemail, I cannot use google voice for visual voicemail service. I've tried twice and it just keeps defaulting to t-mobile voicemail when people call me.

Does anyone have a work around? I only want to use Google Voice for voicemail services and my T-Mo number for incoming/outgoing calls.

From what I've read, you need to call TMobile and have them turn off voicemail for your account. They'll probably tell you not to do this but you don't want their voicemail, you want Google Voice's.

GopherDroid

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Use your Google Voice number. Port your T-Mobile number to Google Voice if you need to use that specific number. You can turn a setting on in the Google Voice app to "make all calls with Google Voice" so that your outbound caller ID will always display your Google Voice number. This means everything you do will be associated with that one Google Voice number -- outbound calls, inbound calls, and voicemail. No reason to be using the T-Mobile number.

CrimsonSmear

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site

Disabling the Carrier Voicemail is only part of the process. You still need to set the forwarding numbers or the caller will get indefinite rings and you'll get no voicemail.

**004*<10 digit Google Voice number># will set your forwarding numbers (note the extra * at the begin compaired to what GV suggests).

Setting the Google Voice app to "make all calls with Google Voice" only works for 10+ digit numbers, 7 digit number will show number assigned by the carrier.

Last edited:

Titan Ape

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
6tr6tr is correct. You have to call T-Mobile and have them disable voicemail on your account. That way, when someone calls your phone you won't have their service getting in the way. As long as you have gv app setup, it will pick up after so many rings.

supernice44

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
I ported my long-held number from Verizon to GV and have seemingly been problem free in regards to using GV for voicemail. Should I still call T-Mobile and have them shut off their voicemail service for my throwaway T-Mobile number, or is it pretty guaranteed that Google Voice will handle all calls as long as people are calling my GV number?

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
How many times does your phone ring before it picks up? I'm assuming you have Google voice and t mobile prepaid personally.

6tr6tr is correct. You have to call T-Mobile and have them disable voicemail on your account. That way, when someone calls your phone you won't have their service getting in the way. As long as you have gv app setup, it will pick up after so many rings.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

6tr6tr

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
How many times does your phone ring before it picks up? I'm assuming you have Google voice and t mobile prepaid personally.

This might help: Preventing voicemail from picking up calls - Google Voice Help

Edit: I just retested this to be sure and it rang a lot of times (forgot to count) but the outgoing message I heard was my google voice and when I left a voicemail, it was in the google voice app.

bigbeerdrinker

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
So just to be clear. Your telling me that with the following configurations I can use Google Voice Voice Mail?
- LG Nexus 4
- Tmobile pre-paid monthly plan
- Using my Tmobile number and not my Google Voice's number

I used to have people call my Tmobile number that I have had forever and it would get forwarded to my Google Voice number for Voicemail. I do not want have people calling my Google Voice number.

I am very interested in getting Google Voice Voicemail working on my Nexus 4 with a Tmobile pre-paid plan.

acegolfer

Aug 5, 2010
Visit site
So just to be clear. Your telling me that with the following configurations I can use Google Voice Voice Mail?
- LG Nexus 4
- Tmobile pre-paid monthly plan
- Using my Tmobile number and not my Google Voice's number

I used to have people call my Tmobile number that I have had forever and it would get forwarded to my Google Voice number for Voicemail. I do not want have people calling my Google Voice number.

I am very interested in getting Google Voice Voicemail working on my Nexus 4 with a Tmobile pre-paid plan.

Prepaid plan doesn't allow call forwarding. So GV will not answer your tmo number.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
probably closer to 8 rings

edit: i called the Google voice number, not the T-Mobile number directly. i give everyone my Google voice number

That's awful. Would it kill them to offer call forwarding.

mattatwar1

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site

Go to you phone, click the menu and go to call forwarding forward unanswered etc to you Google voice number , make sure ur google voice is not set to forward calls to your phone

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
But it rings 8 times for you also?

Go to you phone, click the menu and go to call forwarding forward unanswered etc to you Google voice number , make sure ur google voice is not set to forward calls to your phone

evperry

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I use a different service but was just wondering about how t mobile was working with google voice.

OK so u got it to go to Google voice for voicemail correct?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AmeliaRodriguez