Voicemail icon notification stuck

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
I initially set up voicemail thru Straight Talk so that I would have something. I finally got Google Voice set up on my phone to use it for voicemail. During the testing process, 1 voicemail went to my ST account and then I got GV set up properly, so now I can't retrieve that voicemail. I called ST and had them reset the voicemail hoping that would clear it and my voicemail notification would clear. I've rebooted my phone several times over the past couple of hours and the notification icon will not clear. Is there any way to clear the icon, or do I have to do a factory reset? And if I have to do a factory reset, is there anything I need to do first, like move all my pictures and videos off the phone? Or are those automatically backed up on the google servers?

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
have you try disable Google voice so you can go into your straight talk vm, delete the vm, then setup Google voice vm again?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
No, it's too late for that. I've already had ST reset the voicemail service. I assumed that when they did that, the message that was in there would be deleted.

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
I don't understand, you still have vm with straight talk. Google voice voice doesn't replace your straight talk vm, all it does is forward your straight talk vm to Google voice. If you log into your Google voice account online, you will actually see a different phone number there. That is your real Google voice number. When you set up the Google voice app on your phone, all it did is activate vm forwarding. so if you disable Google voice for now, when you call your vm, you will go back into your straight talk vm, delete the vm, then setup Google voice vm again.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I can't get Google voice deactivated. I went online into my GV account and hit "deactivate google voice on this phone." I looked in the app settings and can't find where to change it back to use the Carrier Voicemail. I then deleted the GV app and rebooted my phone. When I long-press 1 on my dialer, it's still going to google voice. What now??

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site

klau25

Dec 15, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, that's what I did and it's still calling GV for my voicemail. I think the problem is that I now can't deactivate the conditional call forwarding. Even though it says it successfully canceled the forwarding, it's still calling the GV number for voicemail. I may just have to do a factory reset. Thanks for your help!

i don't think a factory reset will help. i still think you need to get into your vm to delete it. just don't want you to reset your phone then find out the vm icon is still there.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
The problem is, I can't get to my Straight Talk voice mail. The phone is calling my google voice number to access voice mail. I just called my phone and I think the Straight Talk voice mail picked up because I got the standard voice mail notification icon and I then went to my google voice account online and there are no messages there. Maybe I can call Straight Talk and have them delete the messages out of my voice mail. Thanks again for trying to help me with this. You have been very patient and kind.

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Well, I've royally screwed things up. By deactivating google voice, my voice mails are going to Straight Talk now. And when I try to dial voice mail, it dials google voice. I tried reactivating google voice and the call forwarding won't work now. I'm not sure where to go from here. Maybe I should try getting a new google voice number and see if that will work. I may just sleep on it and do some more searching tomorrow. UGH!

kmcochran

Jul 12, 2011
Visit site
Okay, I was able to get google voice set up as my voice mail again. I had to use **004* as the forward code instead of *004*. Whew! I think I'll call ST tomorrow and see if they can just delete the messages out of my vm account.

Gmaoimaui

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
I just fixed this problem on my Virgin Mobile (Sprint) HTC EVO V 4G. I got the solution from another post but it is a temporary fix and after googling the problem, it seems this issue problem is across the board affects a variety of phone carriers and a variety of phone brands and models.

First - the TEMPORARY FIX FOR REMOVING VOICEMAIL (VOICE MAIL) NOTIFICATION DATA AND ICON FROM STATUS BAR:
1. GO to SYSTEM SETTINGS.
2. SELECT APPS.
3. SELECT ALL (APPS).
4. GO to and SELECT PHONE.
5. PRESS "CLEAR DATA" - the voicemail notification icon will disappear.

This is a TEMPORARY FIX and in isolating the causes - I came across three known causes:
1. The voicemail (voice mail) notification icon will RE-APPEAR in status bar after resetting your phone to factory settings, and
2. The voicemail (voice mail) notification icon will RE-APPEAR in status bar after SYSTEM UPDATES - UPDATE PROFILE.
3. Restarting phone also causes the pseudo voicemail notification icon to RE-APPEAR in status bar.

APP INFO:
Phone (version 3.5.2214292951.367891).

Last edited:

ehsaan

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem before but all you have to do when a voicemail notification comes and you cant remove it, is pull down the notifications, long press on the notification and press app info, then click force stop/close

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I don't have that problem but do have the issue where I don't get an audible notification of voicemail even if it's selected in voicemail settings.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87