new to android/nexus, how can i maximize battery life?

jinjin12

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
so what i can i to maximize battery life? i've turned off gps, turned off wifi when i'm not using, turned off mobile data, lower brightness when i can.

ANYTHING I'M MISSING? please help

fmeragli

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Download JuiceDefender in the Play Store. It really does help and there's different levels of battery saving power. The free version limits u to the first couple levels but for most that's good enough. You can buy the paid version if you decide you like it and want more features. It automatically does the many things you describe and it has helped increased my battery life on my galaxy s2 by hours

Hope that helps!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Android Central Forums

jinjin12

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Download JuiceDefender in the Play Store. It really does help and there's different levels of battery saving power. The free version limits u to the first couple levels but for most that's good enough. You can buy the paid version if you decide you like it and want more features. It automatically does the many things you describe and it has helped increased my battery life on my galaxy s2 by hours

Hope that helps!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Android Central Forums
by hours? really?

android newb

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Use a free app called NQ Android Booster. It is a utility that provides system optimization as well as power consumption management.

I put my phone into power saving mode when the battery's level was at 71%. Now after 3 hours, the level is still 71%. Amazing!.

corance

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Jinjin I just read in one of your other post that this is your first smartphone and you are coming from a flip phone. You will never ever ever ever get the same battery life with your new phone. I hope your hopes weren't too high. And you have GPS, wifi, and even data turned off?!?! Not only that, you don't even have a data plan? Can I ask what in the world do you need such a great SMART PHONE for?

Hubertsng

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I myself don't think that battery apps help all that much. Lower the brightness all the way (better than auto brightness), don't use data while there is wifi and turn off unneeded accessories like bluetooth and GPS. Well this is almost everything you've said so far. You can also root the device and underclock it so it doesn't use as much power.
You should've also conditioned the Lithium battery (someone said new phones don't need it but I heard all lithium batteries need to be conditioned)

jinjin12

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Jinjin I just read in one of your other post that this is your first smartphone and you are coming from a flip phone. You will never ever ever ever get the same battery life with your new phone. I hope your hopes weren't too high. And you have GPS, wifi, and even data turned off?!?! Not only that, you don't even have a data plan? Can I ask what in the world do you need such a great SMART PHONE for?
yea but i had an ipod touch 4g. i just want to see if this can have more battery life than my ipod touch 4g with the same usage. btw i rarely use my flip phone when i had it, i only keep it for emergency

android newb

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I've been using iPhone for the last few years and I've got to say that N4 battery performance is worse. You can do everything with the N4, and it does everything fast... but do them just occasionally or the juice will run out quickly. Some battery apps basically provide you quick ways to disable background services that you don't need when the phone is idle. So, instead of manually turn them off one by one, you can just set up preset modes and switch to them whenever you need.

sonicresidue

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I've been noticing my battery time has been getting better with the last couple charge cycles. It may or may not help, but I run it down to 3-5% and then let it charge fully. I've gotten over 36 hours on a charge the last couple times, however my screen time tops out at about 2 hours. Still better than what I started with.

fmeragli

Dec 11, 2012
Visit site
Yes.
When I have the app running, with my typical (moderate/heavy) usage levels my phone lasts somewhere between 11-14 hours. When the app doesn't run I get about 5-7, maybe 8 hours with the same usage.

Suffice it to say, that there have been times when I've noticed my battery draining at an unusually fast rate and have realized (and then noticed) its because the JuiceDefender app wasn't running.
by hours? really?

jinjin12

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I've been noticing my battery time has been getting better with the last couple charge cycles. It may or may not help, but I run it down to 3-5% and then let it charge fully. I've gotten over 36 hours on a charge the last couple times, however my screen time tops out at about 2 hours. Still better than what I started with.

36 hours? :eek:

KwietStorm

May 14, 2010
Visit site
I tried out juice defender after reading many positive experiences with it. It told me my battery was increased by 1.03% and it actually showed up in my battery usage list. Needless to say, it didn't work out too well. I wish someone could share their setup, because I never saw a difference in anything. It also annoyed me how it handled mobile data. Many times I would have a MMS hang because it wasn't connected or was on 2G and I didn't know it. The free version looks like it was hung out to dry a year ago too. Do you have to have at least the Plus version for it to be effective?

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
yea but i had an ipod touch 4g. i just want to see if this can have more battery life than my ipod touch 4g with the same usage. btw i rarely use my flip phone when i had it, i only keep it for emergency
An ipod is not a phone and has no connectivity to a cell network. It's like running your phone on wifi or in airplane mode. So it will last longer.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Android Central Forums

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
JuiceDefender. Trickster Mod. Underclock. Interactive cpu governor. :) ... Turn off GPS. TURN OFF AUTO SYNC THIS IS A BIG HOG.

- - - Updated - - -

I tried out juice defender after reading many positive experiences with it. It told me my battery was increased by 1.03% and it actually showed up in my battery usage list. Needless to say, it didn't work out too well. I wish someone could share their setup, because I never saw a difference in anything. It also annoyed me how it handled mobile data. Many times I would have a MMS hang because it wasn't connected or was on 2G and I didn't know it. The free version looks like it was hung out to dry a year ago too. Do you have to have at least the Plus version for it to be effective?

The Plus version is good but the Free version should be working for you. Sounds strange.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site

This phone shouldn't come close to what your iPod could do. That said, no smartphone should come close to your iPod; shouldn't even be compared.

There are also 493 battery life threads. Search is your friend.

jinjin12

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
JuiceDefender. Trickster Mod. Underclock. Interactive cpu governor. :) ... Turn off GPS. TURN OFF AUTO SYNC THIS IS A BIG HOG.

- - - Updated - - -
lmao dude... i already turned off GPS a i originally said and i've already turned off auto sync. i've turned off everything and i constantly check background services so i can force stop them. this phone just uses alot of battery, even when it's just idle with screen off. and juice defender is bull . i've tried it for a couple of days and it made no difference. it says it increased my battery life by 1.1x but that's just BS that it was giving out of trick people into think it's working. if you test it, and check the battery meter from the default settings and check how many hours you got, you'll see that it made no difference and even drain your battery.

PWC Realtor

May 17, 2010
Visit site
I found that forcing the phone into 2g EDGE does help with battery especially if 3g signal is weak. I'll do this when on WiFi or when I know I won't need high speed data at a moments notice (email syncs just fine over 2g).

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

sr2012

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
lmao dude... i already turned off GPS a i originally said and i've already turned off auto sync. i've turned off everything and i constantly check background services so i can force stop them. this phone just uses alot of battery, even when it's just idle with screen off. and juice defender is bull . i've tried it for a couple of days and it made no difference. it says it increased my battery life by 1.1x but that's just BS that it was giving out of trick people into think it's working. if you test it, and check the battery meter from the default settings and check how many hours you got, you'll see that it made no difference and even drain your battery.

Well I'm saying it can help but if you've already turned off everything then a battery app may not help, it's supposed to help by keeping the things you want on and other things off.

Have you tried underclocking?

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums