Nexus 4 Shutter Sound

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I read somewhere that there is a new API in Android 4.2 that allows the shutter sound in the camera to be changed. Has anyone confirmed this? Shutter sound is trivial I suppose, but if you take a lot of pictures you want your phone camera shutter to at least sound like a real one, not this "ping" noise I've hated in since 4.0 (Got better in 4.2, but still). I'd like to swap out the camera shutter sound with that of the GS3 as I feel it sounds more authentic I suppose. Don't know if thats possible yet.

EDIT: From the Android Developer section:

Improved Camera with HDR
Android 4.2 introduces a new camera hardware interface and pipeline for improved performance. On supported devices, apps can use a new HDR camera scene mode to capture an image using high dynamic range imaging techniques.

Additionally, the framework now provides an API to let apps check whether the camera shutter sound can be disabled. Apps can then let the user disable the sound or choose an alternative sound in place of the standard shutter sound, which is recommended.

So, are there apps to allow the change?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Use a file browser (or connect the N4 to your PC via USB cable) to find folder SYSTEM\MEDIA\AUDIO\UI. In there you will find camera_click.ogg. I expect you can simply replace this file with a sound bite of your choice (how about "Say Cheese!").

If you are not familiar with ogg audio files, start here: Ogg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
PS: It is entirely possible that any standard audio format file (such as mp3) will work, so long as the root name is camera_click. I haven't tried, so have no idea either way.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Use a file browser (or connect the N4 to your PC via USB cable) to find folder SYSTEM\MEDIA\AUDIO\UI. In there you will find camera_click.ogg. I expect you can simply replace this file with a sound bite of your choice (how about "Say Cheese!").

If you are not familiar with ogg audio files, start here: Ogg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So all I would have to do is delete that camera_click.ogg file, find a file of the SGS3 shutter sound in .ogg format, and just download it and put it in this "UI" folder?

PS: It is entirely possible that any standard audio format file (such as mp3) will work, so long as the root name is camera_click. I haven't tried, so have no idea either way.

What do you mean "root name"? So if I wanted the GS3 shutter sound, it would have to be renamed to "camera_click" or what?

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
So all I would have to do is delete that camera_click.ogg file, find a file of the SGS3 shutter sound in .ogg format, and just download it and put it in this "UI" folder?

I haven't tested, but yes, it seems that way. If you "play" the existing camera_click.ogg file, it is most definitely the default shutter sound.

What do you mean "root name"? So if I wanted the GS3 shutter sound, it would have to be renamed to "camera_click" or what?

Yes, I would expect that your sound file will have to be named "camera_click" (until such time as you can find a suitable sounds manager app). It may or may not need to be an ogg format file.

If you want to play, 1) make a copy of camera_click.ogg in a safe place. 2) make a copy of one of the other sound files in the same folder but name it camera_click.ogg. 3) take a picture and see if the new sound is now your shutter click. 4) Assuming that works, maybe try the same thing with a short mp3 file (named camera_click.mp3, of course) and see if that works.

DeadpoolJunior

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Yup, seems like I have to be rooted. I tried, for example, moving the Facebook notification sound to the SYSTEM-MEDIA-AUDIO-UI folder, and it said "Could not write file" or something. Renamed it to camera_click, still wouldn't work. Therefore, i'm assuming if I can't put any sound in to that folder, I wouldnt be able to add a new shutter sound to it. I may be wrong though but it seems like root is necessary. Thanks for the help though.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Yup, seems like I have to be rooted. I tried, for example, moving the Facebook notification sound to the SYSTEM-MEDIA-AUDIO-UI folder, and it said "Could not write file" or something. Renamed it to camera_click, still wouldn't work. Therefore, i'm assuming if I can't put any sound in to that folder, I wouldnt be able to add a new shutter sound to it. I may be wrong though but it seems like root is necessary. Thanks for the help though.
root is needed to modify any system files.

davey11

Dec 17, 2010
Visit site
I just changed the camera click sound. While I was in there also changed the low battery sound. Works fine. Must be rooted.

Sent from my mako :)p)

nimer55

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you put the ringer volume down doesn't the camera sound mute?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

but that requires you to turn down the volume every time you want to take a quick photo, then remember to turn it back up. Quite honestly, I'm baffled that they have fake shutter sounds; I struggle to comprehend their usefulness.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty