Problem sending SMS with Nexus 4 - Hangs at 'Sending'

Sheaf666

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Device - Nexus 4 16GB
Network - Tesco Mobile (UK) (Via O2)

This has happened a couple of times now... I've sent a few texts with my Nexus 4 and after a lack of/odd response realised that my texts hadn't got through.

They're all just sat in the app with 'Sending...' still next to them.

No error messages or pop-ups to tell me they haven't sent. Full signal to the network (been at work all day).

I tried to kill the app and restart it, but still no success.

I then turned the phone off, turned it on again and straight away got a message saying messages have failed to be sent. I could then go into the app and send each text one by one. Everything seems to be fine from then on.

This has happened twice now. It's not difficult to sort, however it's the not knowing that they haven't send that screws me over...

Any ideas? Known Nexus fault?

Alex

N4Newbie

Trusted Member
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Network - Tesco Mobile (UK) (Via O2)

I am not in the UK and not familiar with your networks or service plans. Does "Via O2" mean that you are roaming on a network other than your carrier's primary network? Is it possible that your service plan does not permit texting while roaming?

miller7796

Jan 29, 2010
Visit site
Are you using the stock messaging app? I've noticed that third party apps (GoSMS, Handcent) do not play well with 4.2.1 and you have to set the MMS proxies within the app based on what is in your APN.

spile1

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I've had exactly the same sending problem with my Nexus (stock SMS app). A reboot and I was able to send again. I've also had exactly the same problem with the Email app. In this case the sent email was "saved as draft" rather than being sent.

runtmms

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Are you using the stock messaging app? I've noticed that third party apps (GoSMS, Handcent) do not play well with 4.2.1 and you have to set the MMS proxies within the app based on what is in your APN.

Where in Handcent can I set MMS proxies?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Sheaf666

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
When I say 'Via O2' I mean I'm on Tesco Mobile, which is a network which uses O2's network. It's one of the networks in the UK which doesn't have it's own infrastructure but essentially rents the use somebody elses and supplys it's own front end.

The Nexus is stock. Standard SMS app. The only thing I've really done is use a different launcher which shouldn't have anything to do with it.

Andres Conde Bosch

May 17, 2013
Visit site
This keeps happening to me here in the Atlanta, GA, USA with AT&T. I thought the messaging system would be similar to iPhone but not being able to send multiple pictures in full resolution at once is a major negative for jellybean in Nexus4 then i send them and they stay in suspend mode. Will probably sell phone and get an iPhone again if this is not resolved with the Google update being rolled out this week. :(

moscos

Apr 19, 2013
Visit site
I've experienced the exact same issue twice now, nexus 4 on AT&T in NYC. Only a full reboot of the phone fixes it, and then any text message stuck has to be resent one by one.
It's a major bug, surprised there aren't more affected users or complaints about this.
There's also a google thread about this, but its closed and the google employee responding on it was blaming it on the carrier
Google Groups

NoahJohnson

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I have had this problem since I have had the phone. Every once in a while it happens. I have used ATT, net10 and T-Mobile with the phone and it has happened on all the carriers. I just hard press the message, delete it and type it out again. That usually works for me but it is annoying.