Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree39Likes

Default Re: Google Support says charging a Nexus 4 for longer than 2 hrs will kill the battery

Yeah, I do thay a lot.

Default Re: Google Support says charging a Nexus 4 for longer than 2 hrs will kill the battery

The tech supp reps statement is being misunderstood. The phones have intelligent charging circuits that taper off charging current as they reach 100%.

I think the rep was saying that if OP's phone would not charge in 2 hrs consistently, there's a defect he can return it for.

(wow, 3 the pages of ranting on a misunderstanding. amazing.)

// Tapatalk HD for Android - Nexus 7 //
    Sent by accident, not using the Android Central app
    Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

My nexus4 takes 4hrs to get full charged .is that a problem with battery guys .do let me know

Quote Originally Posted by Legna Naresh View Post
    My nexus4 takes 4hrs to get full charged .is that a problem with battery guys .do let me know
    What charger and cable? From what to 100,... 20%? 35%?

I can see from 5% to 100 in up to 4 hrs. Be sure to use the oem charger, not crappy 500mA jobby left over from another phone, 'kay?

Nexus 4 (Mako), Amaze 4G on T-Mobile. Nexus 7 16GB. Google Chromebook (2012 Samsung 16gb). Next stop, a Google flush toilet.
    Did I solve your problem? Hit the Thanks button. Was I just a nuisance? Sorry, can't bat .400 every day.

That really doesn't make sense. All modern smartphones charge the same way in that if they are plugged in they charge to 100%, then stop charing for awhile, then charge again. thats why sometimes you can unplug your smartphone after it is charge and it shows 98 or 99 % instead of 100%. I can't imagine the Nexus 4 is any different.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSh View Post
    Like many of us my Nexus 4's battery life is poor. I've read many threads about this but I figured I'd see what Google Support's "official" answer was. Here's what they wrote:

There can't be any truth to this, right? Modern phones have really smart charging systems to manage their super-dense super-finicky batteries so overcharging shouldn't be possible, correct? I mean if it were, I suspect the phone might burst or catch fire.
    iPhone 5s-Verizon
    Moto X Verizon
    Nexus 7 2013
    Nexus 10
    iPad Air-Verizon

Quote Originally Posted by snookasnoo View Post
    That really doesn't make sense. All modern smartphones charge the same way in that if they are plugged in they charge to 100%, then stop charing for awhile, then charge again. thats why sometimes you can unplug your smartphone after it is charge and it shows 98 or 99 % instead of 100%. I can't imagine the Nexus 4 is any different.
    So I leave it charging overnight, then I wake up and it's 100%. I lay in bed while using the phone (still plugged in) and it actually starts draining battery (got it from 100 to 97). It's normal behavior for this to happen?

My 2 cents: use your phone, charge it and use. I use my phone all day, i'm usually down to 15-30% by the end of the day (so unplugged from 730am and plugged in at midnight) right before I sleep. I wake up 7.5 hours later with it plugged in and repeat (work, school etc use it often). Every now and then I need a bump charge during the day but 95% of the time this is how my phone gets used and charged after. With the minor hiccup here and there, my battery life is fine and i've owned my N4 for 5 months. What should be the simplest process of owning a phone is turned into this complex battery saving topic which has been beaten to death in 2 pages. Have problems with the battery? Un-install recent apps, close programs you're not using, UPDATE YOUR APPS as needed and if all else fails reset the phone or send it back if you feel there's nothing else to do. Guarantee one of the first few solutions will help. Worked for my 2 of my buddies!
    natehoy and ChromeJob like this.

Quote Originally Posted by adam514 View Post
    My 2 cents: use your phone, charge it and use. I use my phone all day, i'm usually down to 15-30% by the end of the day (so unplugged from 730am and plugged in at midnight) right before I sleep. I wake up 7.5 hours later with it plugged in and repeat (work, school etc use it often). Every now and then I need a bump charge during the day but 95% of the time this is how my phone gets used and charged after. With the minor hiccup here and there, my battery life is fine and i've owned my N4 for 5 months. What should be the simplest process of owning a phone is turned into this complex battery saving topic which has been beaten to death in 2 pages. Have problems with the battery? Un-install recent apps, close programs you're not using, UPDATE YOUR APPS as needed and if all else fails reset the phone or send it back if you feel there's nothing else to do. Guarantee one of the first few solutions will help. Worked for my 2 of my buddies!
    This is pretty much how I use it, except I need more bumps during the day because Ingress is a very well known battery-hogging app.

Global Posts
    1,532 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock Rooted Mk3

Well the average battery degrades in overall charge capacity by 15% per year of use. I have never heard of overcharging a battery destroying it. Android has a cutoff for the charger anyway. The phone will only truly charge to 95-98% and then cut the current to a trickle to prevent damage. The OS will report 100% but that is false.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
    Current Laptop - Samsung Ativ 4 Book, Ivy Bridge I7 @ 2.00GHz per Core, 8GB DDR3 Ram, Intel HD 4000, 750GB SATA

Please don't thank me unless I have helped you in some way, if you like my post then click like not thanks.

Check out my github @ https://github.com/gollum18 or My Android Applications @ http://lrdev.net76.net
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by snookasnoo View Post
    That really doesn't make sense. All modern smartphones charge the same way....
    Nope they sure don't. Some will charge at a max of 500mA, others at 700mA (BB iirc), others at 1000mA. Further complicated by each phone model's charging circuit and Battery capacity (presuming we're comparing apples to apples, LiPoly batts). So some phones may charge at a different rate than others.

Quote Originally Posted by ChromeJob View Post
    The tech supp reps statement is being misunderstood. The phones have intelligent charging circuits that taper off charging current as they reach 100%.

I think the rep was saying that if OP's phone would not charge in 2 hrs consistently, there's a defect he can return it for.

(wow, 3 the pages of ranting on a misunderstanding. amazing.)

One thing I've noticed is if Daydream is enabled, depending on the settings, charging can take longer. With Beautiful Widgets installed and Daydream set to display the BW imagery, charging takes significantly longer.

Quote Originally Posted by raremage View Post
    One thing I've noticed is if Daydream is enabled, depending on the settings, charging can take longer. With Beautiful Widgets installed and Daydream set to display the BW imagery, charging takes significantly longer.
    Well of course. Screen is on, CPU is doing a little work. Same as if you had the screen on, looking at a Play Book title.

I would hope this isn't a shocker for very many people. Click Settings | Battery, you'll probably see the screen is one of the biggest power drains.

i have bought a lg nexus 4 but did not use it....i kept it in the shelf and as days passing the battery level is decreasing 85% to 45% in one day...i dint even touch the phone...what is the solution?please reply!!

Turn it off?

Absolute bull crap. I only charge my phone when I sleep. I unplugged it when I wake up. That's a good 7 hour charge everyday for 6 months. I have good battery still.

Posted from my Nexus 4 via Android Central App

Anyone else having an issue with the phone always going to USB charging (which takes forever) even though it's plugged into the included charger (or any other charger with enough juice, have tested with different USB cables as well)?
    Sometimes I've managed to get it to accept it as AC charging by plugging it in twice... but it's a hit or miss :/

ROM
    Perma-rooted and unlocked

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSh View Post
    There can't be any truth to this, right? Modern phones have really smart charging systems to manage their super-dense super-finicky batteries so overcharging shouldn't be possible, correct? I mean if it were, I suspect the phone might burst or catch fire.
    My battery life is about the same now as when I first bought the phone. And my phone lives in the charger.
    pontiac005 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hk1110 View Post
    i have bought a lg nexus 4 but did not use it....i kept it in the shelf and as days passing the battery level is decreasing 85% to 45% in one day...i dint even touch the phone...what is the solution?please reply!!
    Too many processes and apps run on background. Phone doesn't go to deep sleep. Install Wakelock to see if phone goes to sleep.
    Switch off background data for all google processes and your apps, turn off notifications (keep only ones you really need). Delete widgets.
    It should help. My N4 loses about 20%/24hrs now (when not in use), still high, hope to improve it yet.
    Last edited by gusar2000; 07-03-2013 at 01:43 PM.

I really like the fact that they said you could send your phone to them in the replace it with a new phone. I think that's super cool but my phone just charge is fine I leave it turned off and charging overnight every night always like most other people

Posted via Android Central App

Quote Originally Posted by MobilePOE View Post
    Anyone else having an issue with the phone always going to USB charging (which takes forever) even though it's plugged into the included charger (or any other charger with enough juice, have tested with different USB cables as well)?
    Sometimes I've managed to get it to accept it as AC charging by plugging it in twice... but it's a hit or miss :/
    Sounds like a hardware issue....

// Tapatalk 2 on Nexus 4. //

I have had two Nexus 4 (one replaced a faulty one) and neither would complete a full charge in 2 hours so please don't think yours is faulty if it doesn't. You should expect approx 2.25 hours to get from 0% to 90% (but obviously less if your start point is higher) the battery will then charge at a 'trickle' rate to prevent damage for final 10%. This will take approx another 30 mins so 2.75 hours total, but this will increase progressively as the battery gets older, I would say maybe 3.5 is not uncommon, but over 4 hours and there is quite possibly a battery issue.

Quote Originally Posted by zedorda View Post
    Thanks for supporting what I said. Goto "Summary of Dos and Donts" to see the 20%-80% reference.

I guess being the guy that posts the links makes you more knowledgeable. I yield to your authority.
    Keep in mind those sites are about batteries in general, not specifically about mobile phones. The 20-80% is if you want to optimize battery life over years and years, much longer than the average lifespan of a cell phone. It's much more important in stuff like hybrid or electric cars, for example. For a cell phone it's no where near as big of a deal and anecdotal evidence suggests that many people just charge overnight without any problems.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12