Some major problems with Nexus 4

DianSchweiger

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys! I'm new to this forum, and i know its not the best way to start a post and conversations, but the whole point of joining androidcenteral was to find out what exactly is wrong with my phone.
I got my Nexus 4 about 3 and a half month ago, and it has been working perfectly. But a few times during each month, i noticed how the phone started to randomly shut off, and wouldnt turn on until i hold the power button for about 2 minutes. It has happened today again, and im quite sick of it.
Better yet, the internet connection has been messed up. When i tried to connect to google, it told the the website was a threat, and wouldn't let me even connect to it.
Nor could i access any of my internet running aps.
Just as well, i had noticed that in my messages, i cant see what i type to the other person. I type, and send, yet i do not see what i sent, but the receiver does though.
And one last thing to sum it all up, i disconnected from my internet server, and now the phone wont even let me connect to it ,and keep s repeating the same message " Authenticating..." or "Problem with Authentication".
I really have no clue on whats might be happening, and i'd appreciate any suggestions or helpful tips from you guys, please help and thank you :)

briancook451

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys! I'm new to this forum, and i know its not the best way to start a post and conversations, but the whole point of joining androidcenteral was to find out what exactly is wrong with my phone.
I got my Nexus 4 about 3 and a half month ago, and it has been working perfectly. But a few times during each month, i noticed how the phone started to randomly shut off, and wouldnt turn on until i hold the power button for about 2 minutes. It has happened today again, and im quite sick of it.
Better yet, the internet connection has been messed up. When i tried to connect to google, it told the the website was a threat, and wouldn't let me even connect to it.
Nor could i access any of my internet running aps.
Just as well, i had noticed that in my messages, i cant see what i type to the other person. I type, and send, yet i do not see what i sent, but the receiver does though.
And one last thing to sum it all up, i disconnected from my internet server, and now the phone wont even let me connect to it ,and keep s repeating the same message " Authenticating..." or "Problem with Authentication".
I really have no clue on whats might be happening, and i'd appreciate any suggestions or helpful tips from you guys, please help and thank you :)

2 questions, have you updated to the most recent software? and have you done a factory retore on the phone?

Reason I ask is my phone did the same thing, I did the software update, then restored the phone now it works great with no issues

DianSchweiger

May 10, 2013
Visit site
2 questions, have you updated to the most recent software? and have you done a factory retore on the phone?

Reason I ask is my phone did the same thing, I did the software update, then restored the phone now it works great with no issues

No I actually havent. The software is supposed to update automatically on Nexus 4 though, thats what iv been told.
And im new to android , so would you mind telling me exactly how to do that? Thanks! :D

briancook451

Jul 15, 2012
Visit site
Go into settings, slide down to about phone, tap that then select system updates. Once you do the update restart the phone then go into settings then select Backup & Reset, then go to Factory Data reset and do the reset from there

DianSchweiger

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Go into settings, slide down to about phone, tap that then select system updates. Once you do the update restart the phone then go into settings then select Backup & Reset, then go to Factory Data reset and do the reset from there

Thanks so much for your help! Im doing that right now , ill see if it works and see what happends

Rebecca Armstrong

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
My Nexus 4 is exactly two months old and everything you noted in your post is exactly what my phone started doing today. Even the same issue with trying to connect to the support website is exactly the same. Looks like Google has a major FUBR on their hands with the Nexus 4 phone.

Rebecca Armstrong

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Factory reset did absolutely nothing to fix my problem. The exact same problems of this magnitude point to a serious problem. It's a brand new phone and not at all usable with these problems.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Factory reset did absolutely nothing to fix my problem. The exact same problems of this magnitude point to a serious problem. It's a brand new phone and not at all usable with these problems.

Then RMA it. Google has been quite good replacing defective devices. No sense in insinuating that there is some massive defect with the Nexus 4 line when you're A) the first person I've ever read about having those issues, and B) haven't even requested a replacement.

You're right, it is a brand new device, and as such Google will undoubtedly support it effectively.

Rebecca Armstrong

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm actually the second person, the first person started the dialog. And yes, I will be returning it for another attempt at a good device. My choice would obviously be to have a fully functional phone produced by google, and not to see there be a major issue with the device development....but, I remain a skeptic until proven otherwise.

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm actually the second person, the first person started the dialog. And yes, I will be returning it for another attempt at a good device. My choice would obviously be to have a fully functional phone produced by google, and not to see there be a major issue with the device development....but, I remain a skeptic until proven otherwise.

Two out of an entire forum isn't much. Haven't read if your issue on XDA, either.

If you went through multiple devices, that either raises some eyebrows, or you're installing an app that is causing issues. But you're currently one of two people here... I'm not skeptical of anything. RMA it and we'll talk after you have your new device.

sskb

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Mine has same problem. No clue why!

3 months old phone, no issues until 1 week ago.
Since one week started acting up.
Sometimes during usage or even when idle..
Sometimes pops up messages like..

"Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped."
Report OK

Sometimes a series of such msgs with different process names pops up, whatever option you click, but after some time, the screen is frozen.
Hard reset would sometime take ages to come up.
:(
Shuts off automatically or just hangs and gets heated up (i mean really hot!!)
:mad:

Tried following:

1. Safe mode
2. Factory Reset
3. Screen guard removed (had problems in the past with LG optimus)
4. Sim Changed (from mini -> micro convert to original micro sim)
5. OS update - shows latest (JDQ39)

Any advice?

Thanks!

TheLibertarian

Sep 3, 2012
Visit site
Mine has same problem. No clue why!

3 months old phone, no issues until 1 week ago.
Since one week started acting up.
Sometimes during usage or even when idle..
Sometimes pops up messages like..

"Unfortunately, the process com.google.process.gapps has stopped."
Report OK

Sometimes a series of such msgs with different process names pops up, whatever option you click, but after some time, the screen is frozen.
Hard reset would sometime take ages to come up.
:(
Shuts off automatically or just hangs and gets heated up (i mean really hot!!)
:mad:

Tried following:

1. Safe mode
2. Factory Reset
3. Screen guard removed (had problems in the past with LG optimus)
4. Sim Changed (from mini -> micro convert to original micro sim)
5. OS update - shows latest (JDQ39)

Any advice?

Thanks!

RMA. RMA. RMA.

Let us know how the new device works.

Rebecca Armstrong1

Jul 15, 2013
Visit site
It has been over 30 days since I RMA'd and sent back my original NEXUS 4 phone. I have called Google no less than five times to get my refund for the cost of the second phone, but still have yet to receive it. I keep getting the run around.
The new phone has had a few glitches and the sound quality is garbage, but at least it works well enough to have a phone call.

I am not impressed at all with Google's Customer Service on the RMA process. First of all, why should I be charged for a replacement phone when the original phone crapping out was the issue. Goggle already got my money the first time around, why should I have to pay twice for their poor quality device? Yes, I understand the issue of those type of customers that lie to get another phone, but why should all customers pay the price for the few bad ones.
Second, the credit back process has some major disconnect within the Google system. I'm over 45 days out since returning my phone and still haven't received my refund.

BUY WITH CAUTION!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jannel91