Best non T-mobile prepaid plan for Nexus 4?

jolynned

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I dropped Boost mobile last month and bought a Google Nexus 4 (which I adore) and went with the T-Mobile $30 unlimited text/web 100 minutes talk plan. I found out after getting my sim card and getting all signed up that t-mobile doesn't have good coverage in my area and I can't talk on my phone in my own house.

I'm looking for a different prepaid carrier to switch to but after a ton of googling it looks like they're all using t-mobile towers which certainly doesn't help me. A straight talk service rep told me that they can't sell me a sim card because there's no coverage in my area (southeast Missouri). Not sure why an AT&T sim card through ST wouldn't work.

I did some digging and it looks like Simple Mobile and Solavei both use TM towers. Am I stuck shelling out $60/mo to Verizon?

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
I dropped Boost mobile last month and bought a Google Nexus 4 (which I adore) and went with the T-Mobile $30 unlimited text/web 100 minutes talk plan. I found out after getting my sim card and getting all signed up that t-mobile doesn't have good coverage in my area and I can't talk on my phone in my own house.

I'm looking for a different prepaid carrier to switch to but after a ton of googling it looks like they're all using t-mobile towers which certainly doesn't help me. A straight talk service rep told me that they can't sell me a sim card because there's no coverage in my area (southeast Missouri). Not sure why an AT&T sim card through ST wouldn't work.

I did some digging and it looks like Simple Mobile and Solavei both use TM towers. Am I stuck shelling out $60/mo to Verizon?

Welcome tp the beauty and disappointment that is T-Mobile. What about att go phone prepaid? Those are pricier but not bad deals. And you certainly won't be using the nexus 4 on Verizon towers.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

jolynned

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
My eyes are going crossed from all of this internet research. I thought I read somewhere that verizon had a byop program but I guess not?

I'm looking at ATT go phone right now. This is looking like it might be my only option.

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
My eyes are going crossed from all of this internet research. I thought I read somewhere that verizon had a byop program but I guess not?

I'm looking at ATT go phone right now. This is looking like it might be my only option.

Verizon and Sprint are CDMA and T-Mobile and AT&T are GSM. For Verizon's prepaid you need a Verizon phone.

From what I've seen the Go Phone plans offer the best prepaid coverage. When I get sick of Verizon I may finally jump on one. Your speeds on att will only be a maximum of HSPA not HSPA+ (but still probably faster than you're getting on tmo)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

trwrt

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
NET10 will still sell you an AT&T SIM. The data is capped at 1.5GB/month, though. I think it's $45 for unlimited talk/text/1.5GB.

EDIT: There is also H2O Wireless

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Didn't AT&T just redo their prepaid plans to include HSPA+ and LTE? 2 gigs for $60/mo? I know the N4 doesn't have LTE but I thought AT&T decided to give people high speed data for prepaid.

Posted via Android Central App

Citizen Coyote

Jul 9, 2011
Visit site
Verizon and Sprint are CDMA and T-Mobile and AT&T are GSM. For Verizon's prepaid you need a Verizon phone.

From what I've seen the Go Phone plans offer the best prepaid coverage. When I get sick of Verizon I may finally jump on one. Your speeds on att will only be a maximum of HSPA not HSPA+ (but still probably faster than you're getting on tmo)

You should be able to pick up HSPA+21 on AT&T's network. It won't be as fast as T-Mo's HSPA+42 network, but it will get the job done (and from what the OP described, his bad T-Mo signal strength renders the HSPA+42 speed boost moot).

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Didn't AT&T just redo their prepaid plans to include HSPA+ and LTE? 2 gigs for $60/mo? I know the N4 doesn't have LTE but I thought AT&T decided to give people high speed data for prepaid.

Yes, AT&T has new prepaid smartphone plans at $60 (2 GB), $40 (200 MB), and $30 (50 MB) per month. They are promoting the LTE-capable Samsung Galaxy Express ($250) on their website.

Since the Nexus 4 is compatible with AT&T's network, you can put it on any of their prepaid smartphone plans. As you mentioned, you won't get LTE on AT&T, but you will get HSPA+.

Only1Z

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site

False. Even LTE works on GoPhone if you have an LTE equipped phone.

booboolala2000

Jan 12, 2010
Visit site
Yes, AT&T has new prepaid smartphone plans at $60 (2 GB), $40 (200 MB), and $30 (50 MB) per month. They are promoting the LTE-capable Samsung Galaxy Express ($250) on their website.

Since the Nexus 4 is compatible with AT&T's network, you can put it on any of their prepaid smartphone plans. As you mentioned, you won't get LTE on AT&T, but you will get HSPA+.

Sweet. Its nice to have options. I figure I will live with my $70 no contact unlimited plan with T-Mobile did the next couple of months and if I don't like it, maybe try out at&t. So far glad to dump Verizon.

Lclm18choir

Jun 26, 2012
Visit site
I decided to switch to the new AT&T go phone plans with my Nexus, and I'm loving it so far. I get very consistent signal in Chicago, and the ping time is much faster. Thus far, I'm getting 2-5 mb down and 1-3 mb up while at home, and I get 6-10 mb down and 2-4 mb up while I'm out. This is great and speedy. Let's see how I feel after a month test drive.

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
False. Even LTE works on GoPhone if you have an LTE equipped phone.

Wrong. I know words are tricky but try reading in context next time. We were talking about the nexus 4 that OP has. No LTE there. Comprehension is tough but it pays off so try harder.

Scott7217

May 21, 2013
Visit site
Sweet. Its nice to have options. I figure I will live with my $70 no contact unlimited plan with T-Mobile did the next couple of months and if I don't like it, maybe try out at&t. So far glad to dump Verizon.

That's the beauty of not having to deal with a contract. If you have a Google Voice number, it's even easier to switch between AT&T and T-Mobile. You just update your forwarding phone number.

Only1Z

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
Wrong. I know words are tricky but try reading in context next time. We were talking about the nexus 4 that OP has. No LTE there. Comprehension is tough but it pays off so try harder.

Just as it's really tough for you to see that your comment could be interpreted both ways. Just wanted to make it clear that GoPhone offers LTE which your post didn't mention. Read your post again and tell me if you can't see how it can be interpreted both ways. :) Reading comprehension is really tough for some people.

phathands

Apr 4, 2013
Visit site
Just as it's really tough for you to see that your comment could be interpreted both ways. Just wanted to make it clear that GoPhone offers LTE which your post didn't mention. Read your post again and tell me if you can't see how it can be interpreted both ways. :) Reading comprehension is really tough for some people.

Again, for the context of this post that was asking about prepaid N4 plans, LTE doesn't matter much. :D