TMobile & Nexus4 group MMS don't like each other :(

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
I ported back to the TMo $30 prepaid plan last week after "suffering" with ST AT&T for the last several months.

I never did get group MMS working even on ST AT&T with the stock msg app, so I used Textra for the last 2 months and worked flawlessly. GO SMS also worked, but too "bloated" for my taste.

However, after switching to TMo last week, it looks like with ANY Android messaging app I try to use (stock, Textra, GO SMS, Handcent, ICMess), NONE have worked. Most of the time if I group text 2 people, the 1st person on my list sees it from me, but not the 2nd. I was getting that with all the 3rd party apps, but with GO SMS, it seems both people can see my text, however, in ANY scenario, I never once get a reply back. None, nada..

So, I've modified the APN like a million times and even did the 2 APN's, one for default/supl and the other as mms APN type. Still nothing.

I can send a single person a text and they can text me back with no issues. Just group..

Furthermore, this is either a Tmobile thing and/or Nexus 4. Because this worked flawlessly with ST AT&T, so I know all these 3rd party apps do work with group MMS on a Nexus 4. However, the other odd thing is 2 of my coworkers have Tmobile SG3's with the default TMo APN and their group MMS with GO SMS works perfectly too.

Please help! :)

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Make sure this is not the problem you have.

Group SMS not threaded, unable to reply - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thanks fern, but I'm not even using the JB 4.2 stock messaging app :) It never did group messaging for me on my Droid Bionic with VZW months ago and neither on the N4.
However, when I do click on it's settings, I do have the 'Group Messaging' option checked. So, I'm still at a loss..

I loved Textra before and I have noticed that if I send to 2 people, I do get replies back, but on individual ones :( However, if one of my friends group messages me and 1 other person, I receive NO text at all from him. Nothing.....UGGGG....so frustrating when it used to work just a week ago so perfectly!!

Darn you Tmobile :)

jc0187

Feb 23, 2013
Visit site
I hear ya. The group msging works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I too am with T-Mobile. Group.msging worked flawlessly with my other smartphone, but the n4 apparently doesn't like group.msging.

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
I hear ya. The group msging works sometimes and sometimes it doesn't. I too am with T-Mobile. Group.msging worked flawlessly with my other smartphone, but the n4 apparently doesn't like group.msging.

Yea, but it did work on my N4 when I used ST AT&T for the last couple months? That lends me to think it's a T-Mobile issue and not a Nexus 4 issue?? Dunno, I can't figure it out. I've been texting 2 of my coworkers like 50 times today after I play around with APN settings, using more 3rd party msg apps and stuff. Still nothing works...

Again, I can send them fine with any msg app, even stock, but receiving, I get nothing back in return :( Complete failure.....

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Well, I stopped at 2 different brick and mortar stores by me and I'm pretty convinced that it has something to do with this TMo $30 "Walmart" prepaid plan. I can only assume.

1st store, the chick gave me the standard "Oh, that's an Android thing. Group messaging never works right". To which I told her that it DID work on my phone last week on my ST AT&T plan on my ANDROID phone. LMFAO.. I just said thanks and left.
2nd store, the chick was more responsive to my issue and when she looked up my account, she was unfamiliar with the prepaid plan I had stating it's a the "web" or "Walmart" plan. She couldn't look up too much on my account since it was a prepaid plan vs. a postpaid. She said that there might be some "provision" on it. She said to call 611 and ask for tech support.

I did that and same drill, looked at APN settings, all were right, turn phone off/on, send a pic to myself... The standard drill. Then asked my friend to send me a pic and nothing. Nada.. She said everything on the line looks good and setup ok. No provisions or extra things "turned off" on my account. She then opened another Helpdesk ticket and I guess someone's going to call me within 72hrs.

But since my coworker with a Tmobile postpaid account/SG3 works fine and coupled that with MMS working the last 4 months on ST AT&T on my phone, I can only narrow it down to being "something" with this plan. My wife has the $60 2GB plan on her iPhone and has zero issues with MMS. I really don't want to switch to $60 plan just to get pics/group texts...but dayum, this stuff should work!!

Darrkman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
It's weird that you're having this problem. I use Handcent with mms group messaging enabled and I get all my messages with no problems whatsoever. Running on an N4 on T-mobile.

Sent from my Nexus 4

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
It's weird that you're having this problem. I use Handcent with mms group messaging enabled and I get all my messages with no problems whatsoever. Running on an N4 on T-mobile.

Sent from my Nexus 4

Yea, definitely weird :( Are you on the $30 prepaid 100min plan by chance or postpaid? It's like somehow MMS is just shut off on my phone for inbound. Outbound is fine...

Darrkman

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Yea, definitely weird :( Are you on the $30 prepaid 100min plan by chance or postpaid? It's like somehow MMS is just shut off on my phone for inbound. Outbound is fine...

No I'm on a regular plan. Which means you can narrow it down to your phone or your plan.

Sent from my Nexus 4

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
While I don't have any useful advice that hasn't been mentioned, I have no issues with group texting on my N4 on Tmobile's $30 prepaid plan. Although I don't do it all that often (tend to use email) it's worked properly sending/receiving for many months now. I've heard of some people having group mms problems on Solavei, which uses Tmobile's towers, so perhaps someone from that camp will chime in. I just missed porting my lady over to Solavei's $50 plan (Tmobile auto pay hit) so next month I'll be making sure that works for her.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
Have you deleted ALL the other APNs? The N4 doesn't like multiple APNs, even if they're not selected.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

nickacs

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Thanks Con.. yea, didn't go the Solavei route, just good 'ol regular TMobile :)

Gone, yea I only have the default 'T-Mobile US' one that came on the phone. I've deleted the APN several times, setup 2 of them (one for MMS only, other everything else), deleted those again and set up the default one, etc etc. Rebooted phone after every change too...

I will say one thing the first day I walked out with the TMo service from the store was I had 2 APN's, 'T-Mobile US' and 'T-Mobile US 2'. I automatically just deleted the 'T-Mobile 2' one thinking I didn't need it. However, now I'm thinking that may have helped perhaps?! But even if I click 'Reset to default' on the APN page, that #2 APN never comes back automatically. I even removed my SIM and put it back in thinking it might come back automatically, but no dice... Don't know if it has any bearing on my MMS issue, but do remember that.

ConTejas

Nov 9, 2011
Visit site
I've only ever had the one default epc.tmobile.com apn other than when I use LTE (which is now my daily driver since they've flipped the switch in the general NYC/PHILLY/DC area). Seems really weird for it only to be an issue with random devices. Def seems like a carrier issue of sorts.

danielcj

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I'm on a regular post paid Tmo plan and can confirm that group messaging is a hit of miss on my N4. Usually if I do have issues, it is from an iPhone user. I use LightFlow for my notifications and sometimes I'll get a chime for a SMS but nothing appears in the notification bar. Reboot of phone doesn't help. On the other hand my wife who is also on Tmobile receives group messages just fine on her outdated Lumia running Win 7.5.

gone down south

Jul 24, 2012
Visit site
I've only ever had the one default epc.tmobile.com apn other than when I use LTE (which is now my daily driver since they've flipped the switch in the general NYC/PHILLY/DC area). Seems really weird for it only to be an issue with random devices. Def seems like a carrier issue of sorts.

Does it happen on HSPA as well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mohamed-helmy