Nexus 4 stuck after 4.3 update fail - even after hard reset

Mustafa Khaleefah

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys,

Ok, I tried to read so many posts since yesterday, can't find a solution. This is my last resort (and first post) before sending my phone back.

I have a Nexus 4, 2 months old, unrooted and nothing done to it.
Yesterday evening, 4.3 is pushed to my phone. I download it (OTA), and at the end of the installation, I get an error screen and it restarts installing. It loops like that 3-4 times (installing-error-installing-...) then it turns off.
I switch it back on, and it just doesn't go past the X logo (yes I left it a long time to see). After a while, I just decide to do a hard reset. My data is on the cloud anyway.

I go to recovery mode, wipe to factory status, reboot.... nope, still stuck on X logo.

Now my main problem here, is that I saw a few suggestions on the forum.. BUT, I don't have USB debugging mode enabled since I've never rooted/done anything to my phone, and now I can't enable it since it won't go past the logo. When I connect my phone to the PC (win 7), I don't see it appear in my connected devices.

Any final suggestions? Is it hopeless?
Thanks guys.

Guys here is the solution for the problem

Google Groups

please give me your feedback
Thanks

Miffo

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site
I've now done a factory reset on my Nexus 7 from the boot menu - didn't help. I phoned Google (by the way - what's all this stuff about using Gtalk if you're outside the US - I'm in the UK and just used the 0800 (free) number they list on the website). Google made me reset it again on the phone but of course that didn't help. He also broke the bad news that my warranty ran out 10 days ago! Otherwise they would have sent a replacement.

Himeko7

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I've now done a factory reset on my Nexus 7 from the boot menu - didn't help. I phoned Google (by the way - what's all this stuff about using Gtalk if you're outside the US - I'm in the UK and just used the 0800 (free) number they list on the website). Google made me reset it again on the phone but of course that didn't help. He also broke the bad news that my warranty ran out 10 days ago! Otherwise they would have sent a replacement.

They should replace it either way, it's their update that's breaking phones. This calls for a major class action lawsuit imo.

Mihai Mitache

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Hi Himeko7..
I've followed your steps up to enter "fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.0.0-mako.img" in cmd prompt. When I enter that I get :"FAILED<remote: not supported in locked device>" Is there a workaround for this?
Thanks~

it's a bit techy stuff, let me know if you don't understand something:

• Install the SDK: Android SDK | Android Developers
  • Run "SDK Manager". You might need Java for this, download/install first if required.
  • Through SDK Manager, download platform tools and USB Driver (usually ticked as default)
  • Make sure driver is installed. When N4 is plugged it should show something like "ADB interface" or "Nexus bootloading device" on top on device manager
  • Go to bootloader (with phone OFF, hold power+vol down). Leave it there.
  • Back to PC: D:\Disk3\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20130717\sdk\platform-tools
  • Open a command prompt here, preferably with admin power (start meny, cmd, r-click, run as admin)
  • Download TWRP: TeamWin Projects - TWRP 2.6 - | TeamWin
  • "Get TWRP for your device", "TWRP for Nexus 4 [mako]", "Download the newest .img file here"
  • "openrecovery-twrp-2.6.0.0-mako.img" < download this
  • Put this img file in D:\Disk3\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20130717\sdk\platform-tools
  • Back to msdos/command prompt, type:
  • fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.0.0-mako.img
  • Now press vol down, select Recovery, this will bring up the custom recovery app from TWRP
  • If you had the phone encrypted, it will ask for the password, type it in
  • Now here you have to go Mount, pick /sdcard
  • Now we need the Nexus 4 Toolkit: [NEXUS 4 TOOLKIT V2.0.0] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Root, Recovery, Flash, Mods + MORE - xda-developers
  • Install, run, pick 13
  • Now pick 14 "Pull files from device". 2 "manually answer", say yes
  • Now it needs the path, it is "/sdcard/" without the quotes, and including both /
  • Let it work. If everything goes well, your files will be in "C:\Google_Nexus_4_ToolKit\pulled_files_are_put_here"

http://i.imgur.com/kG5OYza.png

That's for the personal data stuff. Contacts, SMS, apps, apps data etc is a different story, if you need that, you have to do the other steps from my first post (manually flash 4.3 excluding the DATA img)

Himeko7

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Hi Himeko7..
I've followed your steps up to enter "fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.6.0.0-mako.img" in cmd prompt. When I enter that I get :"FAILED<remote: not supported in locked device>" Is there a workaround for this?
Thanks~

Oh ok, you are gonna have to unlock the bootloader first then, explained here Nexus 4 Guide-Unlock Bootloader, Root, Install Custom Recoveries & Custom ROMs/Kernel - xda-developers
scroll down a bit until the "Unlock Bootloader" part in blue font.

HOWEVER, I think that might wipe your data.. I did the unlocking/rooting long ago so I'm not entirely sure now; here's what you can do to avoid that in any case: xda-developers - View Single Post - Nexus 4 Guide-Unlock Bootloader, Root, Install Custom Recoveries & Custom ROMs/Kernel

Another option, you can try the Nexus Toolkid without unlocking the bootloader, I think that might work to get your files copied to your PC first. (just go to bootloader step, and then skip everything until the nexus toolkit part)

AsidXxx

Jun 30, 2013
Visit site

• Run "SDK Manager". You might need Java for this, download/install first if required.
  • Through SDK Manager, download platform tools and USB Driver (usually ticked as default)
  • Make sure driver is installed. When N4 is plugged it should show something like "ADB interface" or "Nexus bootloading device" on top on device manager
  • Open a command prompt here, preferably with admin power (start meny, cmd, r-click, run as admin)
  • "Get TWRP for your device", "TWRP for Nexus 4 [mako]", "Download the newest .img file here"
  • Put this img file in D:\Disk3\adt-bundle-windows-x86_64-20130717\sdk\platform-tools
  • Now press vol down, select Recovery, this will bring up the custom recovery app from TWRP
  • Now we need the Nexus 4 Toolkit: [NEXUS 4 TOOLKIT V2.0.0] Drivers, Backup, Unlock, Root, Recovery, Flash, Mods + MORE - xda-developers
  • Install, run, pick 13
  • Now it needs the path, it is "/sdcard/" without the quotes, and including both /
  • Let it work. If everything goes well, your files will be in "C:\Google_Nexus_4_ToolKit\pulled_files_are_put_here"

That's for the personal data stuff. Contacts, SMS, apps, apps data etc is a different story, if you need that, you have to do the other steps from my first post (manually flash 4.3 excluding the DATA img)

I am stuck on that step, in bold. I dont see sdcard listed. I unlocked the bootloader via Nexus Toolkit. What do I do now?

Himeko7

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Are you in TWRP before that? you must pick recovery mode from the bootloader (if you already flashed TWRP), then from there check Advanced/File Manager, see if you get the folders/files list from there:

bzDTpvm.png

oNIJ5Q2.png

g2SmO3R.png

vanillalimecoke

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi Himeko,

I downloaded and installed the platform tools and Google USB Driver, but "Android ADB Interface" still does not show up in the Device Manager. Do yuu know why this is the case?

Thanks
Mike

• Install, run, pick 13

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandyRoyalty