Google Services battery drain

dorblayzer

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I just had the nlpcollector wake lock come back up yesterday. It was always present but it was never draining the battery like it did yesterday. Went from 1% per hour to 5% on standby for some unknown reason. Seems sporadic and I simply disabled location reporting and history, which in turn disables Google now. It's not like I used it so I don't care but it for sure sucks for the people that do use it. I mean, it's a key feature of Android.

I don't find this stand by drain reliable enough and I hate things that are not of quality, and I especially hate picking up my phone only to see it lost crazy battery while I was simply walking around for a few hours.

Posted via Android Central App

i've Also Found Google now as the problem, disabled it a few weeks ago.
but couple of days ago i've enabled it again, and battery usage is now unnoticed.

agp101

Jun 29, 2013
Visit site
i've Also Found Google now as the problem, disabled it a few weeks ago.
but couple of days ago i've enabled it again, and battery usage is now unnoticed.

I had disabled it a month ago.. Then re- enabled it as well. For a couple weeks it didn't give me problems until now again. Just decided to leave it off as I never used it anyway.

Posted via Android Central App

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
I too have noticed the battery drain, on my 6500 mAh, I'm barely getting 17-18 hours with 5-6 hours on screen time, where before last week, it was no problem to get 24-29 hours with 9 hours on screen time.

I suspect it was the maps update we got last week. I'm going to try a roll back to the previous version and see if that helps. Nothing else has changed for me. WLD tells me its Google Services chewing through the battery. Everything Google is turned off, where before I had it on.

I'll report back after the maps roll back.

7ujujuby.jpg

Sent via Note II

SufaceWipe

Aug 23, 2013
Visit site
I've been having this same exact issue, and it will always happen if Location Services is turned on. When I go to bed, my phone goes from 100% down to less than ~75% in only 8-10 hours(Everything off, except Wifi and Location and Use wireless networks checked). Till I began having this issue, I would have excellent battery life: it would only go from 100% down to only ~95% overnight (8-10 hours)...this is with Sync, WiFi and location/use wireless networks turned on. I have 4.1.1 on my S3. Many people with 4.2.x and 4.3 are also reporting this same issue with Google Services and NlpWakelock. The internet is littered. So to help people out, here you go: it is not Sync being on/off, it is not WiFi being on/off, nor is it LTE or whatever being on/off. Nor are you reading your battery percentages the wrong way. The bug is in Google Services or Google Play Services or Location Services/Use wireless network or some combination or all of them causing thousands! of wakelocks. Unfortunately, there is next to nothing you can do about it till Google chooses to fix whatever updates they did that caused these issues. I've tried rolling back every Google app I could, I tried installing the latest version, reset my phone...nothing helped. It also didn't matter whether Google Now was installed and running or if it was frozen. Like others have posted, it's not cool to leave your phone for a couple hours and have it lose 15% battery. I can play Pinball Arcade for an hour and will only lose 15-20% battery.

PcNy

Jul 11, 2013
Visit site
I've been having this same exact issue, and it will always happen if Location Services is turned on. When I go to bed, my phone goes from 100% down to less than ~75% in only 8-10 hours(Everything off, except Wifi and Location and Use wireless networks checked). Till I began having this issue, I would have excellent battery life: it would only go from 100% down to only ~95% overnight (8-10 hours)...this is with Sync, WiFi and location/use wireless networks turned on. I have 4.1.1 on my S3. Many people with 4.2.x and 4.3 are also reporting this same issue with Google Services and NlpWakelock. The internet is littered. So to help people out, here you go: it is not Sync being on/off, it is not WiFi being on/off, nor is it LTE or whatever being on/off. Nor are you reading your battery percentages the wrong way. The bug is in Google Services or Google Play Services or Location Services/Use wireless network or some combination or all of them causing thousands! of wakelocks. Unfortunately, there is next to nothing you can do about it till Google chooses to fix whatever updates they did that caused these issues. I've tried rolling back every Google app I could, I tried installing the latest version, reset my phone...nothing helped. It also didn't matter whether Google Now was installed and running or if it was frozen. Like others have posted, it's not cool to leave your phone for a couple hours and have it lose 15% battery. I can play Pinball Arcade for an hour and will only lose 15-20% battery.

agreed. nothing you can do much.
the problem is inherent and intermittent.
no real causes being known at the moment.
wait for Google to fix.

dcseek

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
Hi after reading around about this new problem about google services i found out (in my case) a culprit and maybe a solution.
I tried every combination of disabling e and re-enabling different apps from google and services related to those apps,
in my tests were involved google play services, google +, google now, maps.
the only action that worked was disabling "android device manager" under google settings, history and location reporting in gmaps settings.
after this with acces to my location enabled no more nlpcollectorWakelocks.

hope this helps.

enjoy!

msndrstood

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Hi after reading around about this new problem about google services i found out (in my case) a culprit and maybe a solution.
I tried every combination of disabling e and re-enabling different apps from google and services related to those apps,
in my tests were involved google play services, google +, google now, maps.
the only action that worked was disabling "android device manager" under google settings, history and location reporting in gmaps settings.
after this with acces to my location enabled no more nlpcollectorWakelocks.

hope this helps.

enjoy!

Thanks for that info. I, too have tried a combination of switching off different processes. I will try this combo next. Did your issues start with the ADM push?

Sent via Note II

dtfamily

Oct 10, 2010
Visit site
I have been beating my head into the wall with wakelocks too for several months now. I went as far as rooting my phone, hard resetting it, and am very slowly adding apps back on and watching the battery drain and wakelocks. The culprit in my instance appears to be Google Maps. I uninstalled updates to GM and disabled it, and the wakelocks go away. If I re-enable GM, the wakelocks start creeping back again- my highest # of wakelocks are attributed to "AsyncCollectorListener". I've re-enabled Google Maps today again and removed all location settings from it and will see what happens, but I have absolutely seen the # of wakelocks increase when I re-enable GM. I haven't fiddled with Google Now at all during this time- it doesn't appear to be a problem for me...

Richard Howell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Greetings all, I am here because of a recent trip from Dallas, TX area to Commerce City, CO. While in Colorado, my Nexus 4 would completely drain in about 6 hours. I had assumed my phone was throttling itself to death while attempting to perform Google activities from a 0 to 1 bar service location. I normally get two days of service from my phone (between charges) and use wireless while at home. After reading recent posts, I still think that this is the case. My service was so marginal (T-mobile) that it could not fulfill the Google request and the continual hammering of the various apps on my phone against the poor service was the killer. Once I returned home, all was well. Following this line of thought, I would think that a proper app would be able to detect such failures and sleep for a period of time before attempting it's duty again. I know this is a simplified, non-technical view but it's the only thing that makes sense to me. I have installed the wake-lock detector mentioned in this thread so if this happens again, I will be able to see which app(s) are the culprits and neuter them as necessary. I appreciate all the posts you guys have made on this topic.

eronfaure

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Just an update. I've kept location reporting and history on in Google maps all day and it seems the wakelocks have returned to what they were on 4.2.2. Don't ask me why but it just seemed to fix itself. Also, my battery life seem to have gotten a lot better too. Could it be a placebo effect? I am not sure.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
I have been having bad battery life. I decided to do a factory reset. I put all of my apps back on but left Google now disabled.
Wow! It is like night and day. Ten hours of regular use and still have 40% left. Yeah I think I will leave Google now aloneB-)

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk 4

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
This is today with heavy use of Red Zone on the VZ Nfl app.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379890589151.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379890589151.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 29
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379890614492.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379890614492.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 30
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379890663016.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379890663016.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 30

eric3316

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
This is today with heavy use of Red Zone on the VZ Nfl app.

Did I miss something? This is the Nexus 4 forum and you are showing screen shots of an HTC device? There is really no way to compare the 2 when it comes to battery drain. The software between these 2 devices are like night and day...

On wifi all day yesterday on my N4 running 4.3 stock rooted with stock kernel I got 6 hours of on screen time and unplugged for about 14. When not on constant wifi, I cannot pull anywhere near those numbers, if I could then that would be more then pleasing to me.

elvee68

Dec 19, 2010
Visit site
Because I was having the same battery drain problems and this thread helped me fix it.

acejavelin

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
Sorry, but with only 4 reviews (which appear fake BTW), no real information on what this app does, just a note that it "doesn't harm in anyway", links to the developer's support sites that fail to go anywhere, and the fact you have only two posts on this site, both about the same app with no details... I'll skip this one for while until we more.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smokedog87