Do you have to install Kitkat?

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I am happy with what I have. Don't want to chance losing my T-Mobile tether on the Walmart $30.00 plan.
Do I just ignore the update? Can it be pushed without my knowledge?

Mike Dupp

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Like the OP, I am also quite happy with my current 4.3 setup and have no plans to upgrade to 4.4 unless I am forced to do it. I would like to get rid of the notification though. Any way to dismiss it and never see it again?

SactoKingsFan

Nov 1, 2013
Visit site
Like the OP, I am also quite happy with my current 4.3 setup and have no plans to upgrade to 4.4 unless I am forced to do it. I would like to get rid of the notification though. Any way to dismiss it and never see it again?

You should be able to do this from about phone>software update>manually update

Posted via Android Central App

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site

From what I can see, there is no way to stop the notification.

You should be able to do this from about phone>software update>manually update

This option does not exist on the Nexus 4.

Mike Dupp

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Found a solution. From Alex Shulgin on the Google help forum:

"The system downloads the update without asking for that, but once it downloaded it will keep it in cache and you will see the notification in your status bar about updates waiting to be installed. You can ignore this notification or simply go to Settings->Apps, Slide to ALL tab, Search for Google Service Framework, select it and remove the check mark from "Show notifications" option. The update notification will disappear forever and will never bother you. Once google release KitKat, go back to this option and enable it. :)"

Works exactly as described.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Found a solution. From Alex Shulgin on the Google help forum:

"The system downloads the update without asking for that, but once it downloaded it will keep it in cache and you will see the notification in your status bar about updates waiting to be installed. You can ignore this notification or simply go to Settings->Apps, Slide to ALL tab, Search for Google Service Framework, select it and remove the check mark from "Show notifications" option. The update notification will disappear forever and will never bother you. Once google release KitKat, go back to this option and enable it. :)"

Works exactly as described.

From what I can tell, that stops all app upgrade notifications as well.

Mike Dupp

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Nope, I thought it might do that as well, but I powered down shortly after making the change and had a notification waiting for 3 apps to be updated when I powered back up. I scrolled past a Google Play services app to get to the framework, so that probably handles the app updates.

ymmy

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
What T-mobile tether are you talking about? Does Kitkat not allow you to tether to other devices?

Yes, they kill it in Kitkat. If you don’t pay for tethering your wireless clients will be redirected to up sale cell carrier page. Let’s just say $30 tmob plan not going to work anymore unless of course you willing to root and edit setting... With all latest developments like slow KK rollout and 18 month support limit I don’t see the point to have Nexus product line anymore. Fark this sh...t, N4 will be my last nexus device.

Last edited:

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
Yes, they kill it in Kitkat. If you don’t pay for tethering your wireless clients will be redirected to up sale cell carrier page. Let’s just say $30 tmob plan not going to work anymore unless of course you willing to root and edit setting... With all latest developments like slow KK rollout and 18 month support limit I don’t see the point to have Nexus product line anymore. Fark this sh...t, N4 will be my last nexus device.

Tethering was one of my most used features. I'll refuse the KitKat update on my Nexus 4 because of this one feature alone.

Aug 1, 2013
Visit site
Tethering was one of my most used features. I'll refuse the KitKat update on my Nexus 4 because of this one feature alone.

I find it hard to believe. So does that mean you will not be able to set up your phone as an Access Point?

So here is question to people who upgraded to KitKat: can you set up AP or not? Please confirm if this is just a rumor.

fuzzylumpkin

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I find it hard to believe. So does that mean you will not be able to set up your phone as an Access Point?

So here is question to people who upgraded to KitKat: can you set up AP or not? Please confirm if this is just a rumor.

Yup, the tethering and wireless hotspot is still there in KitKat. however, I am 1. not in the US and 2. not on t mobile (who don't *really*even exist here anymore). So YMMV :/

gtt1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I have read for some they still get tethering but I am not doing an update if I find my N4 still works as it did when I was in the US last Sept. That is when I installed the $30 5gb plan and used about 3 gb tethered to my laptop and N7, I did read that some people who have tried to tether did get cut back but I didn't so hope it continues. I actually will not need to tether to that extent when we return for the winter as I will be getting internet in the condo but the tethering will still be useful while travelling down and back to Florida and also just using a larger screen in the car by way of my N7.

My N7 has been updated to Kitkat and I have noticed nothing that benefits me. Most benefits are probably to Google and their programs.

anon(5719825)

Retired Moderator
Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
If you have a tethering plan active on your plan, the tethering option will work. If you don't have a tethering plan active, it will not allow you to tether and will prompt you to sign up for a tethering plan.

cloak.n.dagger

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
I have T-Mobile and do not pay extra for tethering but was told that tethering was allowed without any additional fees. I used it several times on 4.3 and the feature is still there (and works) after the 4.4 update.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danishpeer